Brittany advice please

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by mick noe, Aug 13, 2010.

1. mick noe

mick noe Funster

Hazel and I are going back to france 1st week in September (horray):thumb: But only for a week :Angry:(boo) So we thought we would stay top end, probably Brittany area. We will not be towing the bike so relying on parking up to see the sights etc. Any suggestions please for good aires and must see places?

2. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

That's funny we are doing the same and my wife is Hazel, I will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest

3. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

:Rofl1: im on the ferry on the 1st,, a council site at le tre port is good 7e per day inc elec:Laughing: walking distance to town:Eeek:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Just follow the coast, plenty of great aires, here are a few that we visited .. click on icon for info and pictures, street view also available

Google Map

5. mick noe

mick noe Funster

00.10 ferry seafrance 4th sept enjoy may see you over there :thumb:

6. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

us too we are off to brittany area on the chunnel late train 26th for 10 days

should give you a wave on way back glyn & rachel

7. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

There is simply load of great places but here is a few of the top of me head

North

St Malo
    Cancal (Oysters)
    Dinan
    St Cast / Guildo

South

Golfe du Morbihan (Arzon)
    Quiberon

Finistaire is great but can be very wild and windy, its a bit like the west coast of Scotland

8. 105sap

105sap Read Only Funster

brittany

have been to Brittany many times but never in mh, Dinan ,Dinard ,St Malo, Dol de Bretagne are all good places so is a little place called Paimpont its where King Arthur came from .....or so they say if your travelling from Calais then Honfluer is woth calling into as is Monte St Michel not in Brittany but on the way .....hope you enjoy it we will be making our first trip in our new mh next year

9. scotjimland

Indeed, but without the rain and the midges.. :Laughing:

Just back from two weeks on the west coast and Isle of Skye and it rained EVERY day .. and we had to buy head nets to keep the biting buggers at bay .. I've never known them to be soo bad, but it was still a great trip ..

10. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Got bitten in the lakes last week a bit but not too bad, currently in Ayrshire on our way to the Isle of Arran for a week or so, just went on a whim, nothing booked just a week of wilding and hopefully no midges. Been befor several times but Never been in August so fingers crossed.

11. scotjimland

Hi Barry

we also went to Arran to visit my eldest son who lives in Lochranza, if you pass there, his cottage is on the left just after the distillery.
    We spent two days there and I noticed lots of great overnight spots .. There is a forest car park at the King's Cave where I saw a couple of vans parked up plus a tent pitched in the forest..
    We then took the ferry from Lochranza to Claonaig, this was cheaper than an Ardrossan Brodic return .. then up to Oban and Isle of Skye ..

have a great trip :Smile:

12. Left-Hooker

Left-Hooker Funster

My favourite and most often travelled route is..

Calais for Auchan diesel and chips from the 'All Nations',
    Le Croytoy,
    Honfleur,
    Le Mont Saint Michel,
    Paimpont,
    Etel

About 450 miles each way, easy driving and aires all the way. If you see an old Hymer travelling this way in September.. WAVE!! :thumb:

13. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Two poster have mentioned Paimpont, and now I'm interested can you please give more information please, I have Googled earth it, is it possible to fish the lake and are they good safe roads for cycling?

14. Manouche

Manouche Read Only Funster

Brittany

On the south coast:
    Auray
    Vannes
    Concarneau
    Carnac
    Pont Aven
    Quimper

All nice places

15. 105sap

105sap Read Only Funster

paimpont

Dane. Paimpont is a lovely place , peacefull is the word i think. There is a path all the way round the lake which is suitable for bikes , and also wheelchairs ,prams etc.Not far from it is the French equivelant of Sandhurst the Officer training college where they are very happy to let you visit if you are interested in things like that. I am not sure about fishing in the lake but there is a tourist information office there so you should be able to find out from them.

16. rhoda

rhoda Read Only Funster

Brittany

Hi Mick/Diablo,
    I am just back from 7 weeks in a boat doing the North Brittany coast. If you are in to visiting the coastal towns then I can recommend Dahouet, Binic, Paimpol, Lezardrieux and Tregiuer. A must is Dinan, on the River Rance 12 miles inland from St Malo.

Each place we went to we hunted out the Aires for future reference - they all looked OK but even in July, got crowded by mid-afternoon, so I would advise early starts and afternoon rather than evening arrivals. Plenty of ordinary camp sites in/near each town.

We were amazed at the number of motor homes we saw - almost every 4th vehicle at times. But they all seemed to find somewhere for the night - the French are really in to motor homing in a big way.

Rhoda