Britstops.. It's Costing Me A Fortune.. (1 Viewer)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
As far as I know the pubs in the book are not exclusively for members therefore anyone can use the service.If you are a member and use them pretty often you would have to have good self control or be very frugal to make them a substitute for a cheap site or cl.
So my point is what are they selling you apart from a directory of pubs ?
Vlad

Good point. The pub I referred to above is in the Britstops book, but we never bought a copy, just asked on here for recommendations near the place we thought would be convenient. Landlord didn't care whether we had bought a book or not.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Britstops are what you make of them. For us, we stay at places we want to eat at, or purchase goods from, therefore, we win, because both myself and my wife can have a drink, and the host wins, because we probably would not have been able to frequent the premises if we couldn't stay.
Iv think it is a brilliant scheme! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Dear oh dear.
Surely it's horses for courses.
Some are happy following their noses, and have the bottle to be cheeky.
Others prefer to have a book, a browse and a plan
For some, its a cheap overnight because they'd spend their cash in a pub & a campsite whilst others want to wildcamp with a tin of baked beans, so see BritStop option as being extortionate.
Some have thick skins and will camp for nowt whilst others will feel 'obliged' to buy their hosts' wares. Most will spend a bit if what's on offer is "interesting" or "vfm".
But surely no-one can decry that Britstops is but an option available to us, to take advantage of, or not - as we choose.
And choice has to be a good thing, for all of us ?

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Dear oh dear.
Surely it's horses for courses.
Some are happy following their noses, and have the bottle to be cheeky.
Others prefer to have a book, a browse and a plan
For some, its a cheap overnight because they'd spend their cash in a pub & a campsite whilst others want to wildcamp with a tin of baked beans, so see BritStop option as being extortionate.
Some have thick skins and will camp for nowt whilst others will feel 'obliged' to buy their hosts' wares. Most will spend a bit if what's on offer is "interesting" or "vfm".
But surely no-one can decry that Britstops is but an option available to us, to take advantage of, or not - as we choose.
And choice has to be a good thing, for all of us ?

All points I have to agree with however how do they do it ?
Time and time again we hear of companies,councils ,private land owners etc who are told time and time again they cannot have. Mh's overnighting on their land due to various legal restrictions mostly known by a couple of very knowledgeable funsters !
Are any of them watching ,how do they do it and is it legal ,Graham or others ?

Vlad

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All points I have to agree with however how do they do it ?
Time and time again we hear of companies,councils ,private land owners etc who are told time and time again they cannot have. Mh's overnighting on their land due to various legal restrictions mostly known by a couple of very knowledgeable funsters !
Are any of them watching ,how do they do it and is it legal ,Graham or others ?

Vlad
Britstops Hosts (and any pubs &c which allow overnight stops on an ad hoc basis) are bound by the same legal restrictions as anyone else who has neither a caravan site licence or a 5 van site exemption certificate.
They can have no more than one van staying at any time and there must be no more than 28 overnight stops in a rolling 12 month period - 1960 Act, First Schedule, Para 2.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We bought Britstops fairly late last year so not great value because needed new book this spring . We stopped in a couple on our way to Scotland but did not stay because it was too early to stop . The one we wanted to stop in was completely closed because of extensive renovations ! However the ones we saw earlier looked OK. We will have another go this year on our way to and back from the continent.
I would happily spend my money for a nice meal rather than pay for a campsite when just looking for an overnight stop .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As far as I know the pubs in the book are not exclusively for member

Yes, in theory they should be. The host is supposed to see that you have a valid sticker in your windscreen and if you haven't invite you to join on the spot. Whether this happens very often in practice is another matter I suppose.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Britstops Hosts (and any pubs &c which allow overnight stops on an ad hoc basis) are bound by the same legal restrictions as anyone else who has neither a caravan site licence or a 5 van site exemption certificate.
They can have no more than one van staying at any time and there must be no more than 28 overnight stops in a rolling 12 month period - 1960 Act, First Schedule, Para 2.
I cannot believe that any pub would even know the rules & if they did ,would they actually note down who,when ,date,etc ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

I cannot believe that any pub would even know the rules & if they did ,would they actually note down who,when ,date,etc ?

And even if they did know the rules then who's checking whether the vehicle is being slept in or has just been used to drive to the pub and left in the car park overnight cos the owner has had a few. It's parking in a car park, not camping.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, in theory they should be. The host is supposed to see that you have a valid sticker in your windscreen and if you haven't invite you to join on the spot. Whether this happens very often in practice is another matter I suppose.
When we were in it we did 4 and wasn't asked for any proof of membership at any of them

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I think the book will soon become unusable if the entries keep being added at the current rate. It is already 1" thick and difficult to keep open, an app would be the way to go.

Wilcamping for motorhomes and the Dutch Camper Contact (Link Removed) have such an app with thousands of wild camping stops in UK & Europe that happily works on a smart phone even offline, so why cannot it be done with Britstops?

Come Steve time to join the 21st century.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I understand the reluctance for database owners like Steve to go digital because of the threat of being ripped off. That said, these days with a little investment a solid subscription app can be built that will go someway to stop that.

Almost 8 years ago, me and Siân went to the York show with other Funsters to promote our new club. When we told people it was 'Internet based' it seemed to rule out almost every other person we met, who said "We don't do t'internet" (York Show remember!) By contrast, these days we might only get one or two people at a whole show who has not got an email address and doesn't use the web. Now we all use the web and smartphone. There will always be those who prefer a real book and there is an argument to keep it quaint and paper based. But digital is where were headed and I feel Steve will have to go there soon before someone else does. It brings it's own problems, as software support is required, the price point would be hard to set, but I imagine we will see a digital Britstops one day soon.

Last edited:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Great book well laid out, has cost be a few quid i had not planed on spending but enjoyed the company when on the road alone.
Steve

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
An app would be nice but I do like the book. I think the same about All the Aires. I know there are ways of getting that info digitally but I really do like browsing the book to see what catches the eye.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
An app would be nice but I do like the book. I think the same about All the Aires. I know there are ways of getting that info digitally but I really do like browsing the book to see what catches the eye.
Yep. Same here. The Bordatlas web app is OK and secure but I still like flicking through the book as well. A hard copy us also good on the move.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
As has been said most pubs will let you park up overnight in their car park if you are having a meal. Not quite so easy with places like garden centres and farm shops though (quite a few in the book).

I imagine many staff in farm shops would think you were mad if you asked to park in their car park overnight, I'm glad someone has done this already and details are in the Britstops book.

We stayed at a farm shop / pick your own place near Swindon (can't remember the number). A cup of tea and piece of cake each plus a few bits from the shop came to just over £11, bargain.

Paul

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And even if they did know the rules then who's checking whether the vehicle is being slept in or has just been used to drive to the pub and left in the car park overnight cos the owner has had a few. It's parking in a car park, not camping.
Can we please at least stop perpetuating this myth. It is habitation so it is camping.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Judgemental yes you can up north! We have curry nights 2 meals and 2 drinks £15. Steak night is £20 for 2 meals with a bottle of wine. We also have pie nights and now Mexican nights - we are very cosmopolitan up here!!!

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Yep. Same here. The Bordatlas web app is OK and secure but I still like flicking through the book as well. A hard copy us also good on the move.
Hi . How can I get the bord atlas web app ? We already have the book but it is about 3 years old now . We also have the camperstops app which has been quite useful. I like the idea of having more info on my iPad and less weight in the van .

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Hi . How can I get the bord atlas web app ? We already have the book but it is about 3 years old now . We also have the camperstops app which has been quite useful. I like the idea of having more info on my iPad and less weight in the van .

Broken Link Removed

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Moved on to wood farm brewery 426 today another good quiet site great welcome no pressure again. Menu looks good and not expensive so will probably give it a try
Can't fault britstop so far. I like the book but these days an app would be better(y) and lighter

image.jpg

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I think that the problem going down the software route is that the owner may well loose money by people copying and passing on.

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just ordered it sounds interesting and having just bought a new MH what's another £30 in the great sceme of things got to be worth a punt and at the end of the day if it's a waste of time it's only cost the same as a nice meal

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Another example of backwards England!
Thousands of places to free camp overnight in Europe, no meals to buy, no pressure.
A common complaint I hear time and time again from European motor homers who want to come to uk, it's so expensive! !!
As a full timer, I may have to consider this purchase, but can't eat out every night lol

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Had a lovely day out at Sizewell beach car park , £1 all day.. tons of space, great dog walking and fishing is allegedly good by the cooling water outfall of the Sizewell reactor .. There is a toilet block and beach cafe..

In they early evening we moved to the BritStop pub #237 which I had called in advance..

Large hard standing car park behind pub, no one else was there when we arrived.. went in to see the landlord and were given a warm welcome..
Too early to eat we went a walk with the dogs.. large field behind car park..

The pub was empty when we went in.. the landlord friendly, had a chat then ordered a meal.. there was a good bar menu with plenty of choice and not expensive.. but we, or rather Jan had other ideas so we ordered from the Evening menu..

She had 8oz rump steak with chips, onion rings, mushrooms and salad.. I had an 8oz sirloin with the same trimmings.. total £23.50 . It was cooked to perfection.. my steak was like velvet, chips crispy and dry .. 9/10

this was our choice.. a night out, we could have sat at the bar and had a snack and drink for under a tenner..

Back in the van, watched a bit of TV then an early night.. the rain came on and it battered down all night.. woke up early and decided as it was a wet day to go home , we had planned another day at Aldeburgh,, but no point when it was lashing down.. and we have to pick up Chaz at 3pm in Ipswich..

so.. conclusion..

The pub stay was first class.. landlord friendly and gave us a nice welcome.. and while we spent more than the pitch fee at Church Farm (£22 non EHU) in Aldeburgh .. we had a terrific meal.. well worth the money.

Will we do it again.. you bet.. as I said earlier, I'd rather pay for a pub snack or meal than pay to park on grass with nothing else.. Not every weekend.. and not every time we go away.. but as a treat occasionally or en route when we want an overnight stop. .

Just another string in the bow..

Sizewell Beach Car park
DSCF1314.JPG
DSCF1321.JPG

The Vulcan Arms Pub at Sizewell , novel sign
DSCF1331.JPG

At the Britstop
DSCN3331.JPG

DSCN3333.JPG

DSCN3332.JPG

The 'meal' (sorry about crap photo)
20150425_192311.JPG

Last edited:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed, but we never use sites, only cls or meets out of the back of the ccc book, but that's another story , don't think we shall do ccc after this year , was going to drop it this year but my dd got taken before I thought of stopping it.

Snap:rolleyes:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
I understand the reluctance for database owners like Steve to go digital because of the threat of being ripped off. That said, these days with a little investment a solid subscription app can be built that will go someway to stop that.

Almost 8 years ago, me and Siân went to the York show with other Funsters to promote our new club. When we told people it was 'Internet based' it seemed to rule out almost every other person we met, who said "We don't do t'internet" (York Show remember!) By contrast, these days we might only get one or two people at a whole show who has not got an email address and doesn't use the web. Now we all use the web and smartphone. There will always be those who prefer a real book and there is an argument to keep it quaint and paper based. But digital is where were headed and I feel Steve will have to go there soon before someone else does. It brings it's own problems, as software support is required, the price point would be hard to set, but I imagine we will see a digital Britstops one day soon.
EH UP GUV! Just what do you mean about us Yorkies. Tinternet is alive and well here but gas uns are still slow.
Bernie (Proud Yorkie):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back