• Total voters
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Still stand by the comments about grand frontiers though.

Jon

How long did you have yours for? What specific problems did you have? I would like to know what to look out for. I have owned her for seven years and she is used for long term touring, in all seasons, but I am happy to learn and to admit that I may be missing something important!

Thank you,

Lorraine x

Ps having the mercedes rear wheel drive means that I haven't EVER been stuck ANYWHERE EVER,! Even the funster meets at Chester and Peterborough! Even in circumstances when the tractors were needed to tow almost all other vans from fields. (This may be inviting fate . . .)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Well - you live and learn, sorry guys.

I suppose I always assumed that they were from Norfolk.

Still stand by the comments about grand frontiers though.

Jon

Don't worry they are both very similar and in slang language mean the same.:whistle:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
How long did you have yours for? What specific problems did you have? I would like to know what to look out for. I have owned her for seven years and she is used for long term touring, in all seasons, but I am happy to learn and to admit that I may be missing something important!

Thank you,

Lorraine x

Ps having the mercedes rear wheel drive means that I haven't EVER been stuck ANYWHERE EVER,! Even the funster meets at Chester and Peterborough! Even in circumstances when the tractors were needed to tow almost all other vans from fields. (This may be inviting fate . . .)

I believe my comments were ' they are well known for being troublesome'. My opinion is based on conversations with the 'few' owners I ve met over the years and the fact that AT dropped them pretty quickly. I wouldnt own one because I dont like the layout ( although it does give a nice kitchen) I dont like the sleeping arrangements and lack of firm fixed bed and garage. If you are happy with yours then I m very pleased for you.

Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As an aside to this thread ... did anyone else have a shuftie at the new Roller Team 'A' class? First one they've ever done and I must say the quality, layout and price was very, very good!

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As an aside to this thread ... did anyone else have a shuftie at the new Roller Team 'A' class? First one they've ever done and I must say the quality, layout and price was very, very good!

Someone told me it was good, I meant to have a look but didn't get time to walk around the show. Maybe Lincoln.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The Brits have far far more to forget than the Germans.

Ask all the commonwealth countries we pillaged.
"Whatever " but don't forget the ones that are still proud to have the union jack on their national flag ..and the ex commonwealth people that we have accepted into our country as our own ..dont think pillage was the right term. Roy

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
"Whatever " but don't forget the ones that are still proud to have the union jack on their national flag ..and the ex commonwealth people that we have accepted into our country as our own ..dont think pillage was the right term. Roy
Oh you are so accepting, after all you are still carrying a grudge against the Germans for WW1 and 2 that you return to on a regular basis. For the record if you would like to take off your "whatever" blinkers here is just a little bit of the tale of empire you should feel proud about

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/aug/18/uncovering-truth-british-empire-caroline-elkins-mau-mau

As to the original question van wise - British. Moto-Trek now that its finished its a good bit of kit - a process that took two years and required me to threaten them with legal action. The buying process was painful, six month delivery delay - including a eight hour wait on pickup / handover, then handed over full of faults that should have been picked up by any competent person doing a proper PDI including a gas leak. Back to them three times to remedy faults and even then I resolve one of the issues myself.

Sad thing is that as retirement approaches in the next year or so I will be buying a bigger van, if Moto-Trek had done a proper job I might be looking at their offerings, but will now not. Based on recommendations on here and elsewhere RS would be in the running but are too high for my garage when I put the kayaks on the roof. So its a "foreign" purchase for me, although thankfully I am one of the minority who do not see borders, I'm of Irish descent (who fought for the UK in WW2), wife is half Danish. So my ÂŁ60k will be spent with our european friends, just a shame it won't go as far!

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Swift also made an A Class. The Bellair. It looked great and again only a few made. @Silkcut1105 had one. I belive that once he'd rebuilt the entire roof it was a great van (y)

s-l300.jpg

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Oh you are so accepting, after all you are still carrying a grudge against the Germans for WW1 and 2 that you return to on a regular basis. For the record if you would like to take off your "whatever" blinkers here is just a little bit of the tale of empire you should feel proud about

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/aug/18/uncovering-truth-british-empire-caroline-elkins-mau-mau

As to the original question van wise - British. Moto-Trek now that its finished its a good bit of kit - a process that took two years and required me to threaten them with legal action. The buying process was painful, six month delivery delay - including a eight hour wait on pickup / handover, then handed over full of faults that should have been picked up by any competent person doing a proper PDI including a gas leak. Back to them three times to remedy faults and even then I resolve one of the issues myself.

Sad thing is that as retirement approaches in the next year or so I will be buying a bigger van, if Moto-Trek had done a proper job I might be looking at their offerings, but will now not. Based on recommendations on here and elsewhere RS would be in the running but are too high for my garage when I put the kayaks on the roof. So its a "foreign" purchase for me, although thankfully I am one of the minority who do not see borders, I'm of Irish descent (who fought for the UK in WW2), wife is half Danish. So my ÂŁ60k will be spent with our european friends, just a shame it won't go as far!
I take it you never lost All your family in the bombing I.e. Mother ,father and 2 sisters and a brother .then ???? No I will not forget . !!!!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I take it you never lost All your family in the bombing I.e. Mother ,father and 2 sisters and a brother .then ???? No I will not forget . !!!!
Well I'm sorry for your loss but it was more than seventy years ago, I also lost family but not to that extent. But for you to still harbour this hatred towards Germany on this basis is illogical and probably more damaging to you. The one thing the Germans did/do is acknowledge their past wrongdoings - something the British have failed to do.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Well I'm sorry for your loss but it was more than seventy years ago, I also lost family but not to that extent. But for you to still harbour this hatred towards Germany on this basis is illogical and probably more damaging to you. The one thing the Germans did/do is acknowledge their past wrongdoings - something the British have failed to do.
My choice Pat ....my last word on that subject ..too painful still.after 70years . ..

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Yup seen it and very nice just a little outside my budget maybe next time, but it will be between this, pilote or a new rapido

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
German. When I traded in my previous van I was told by a the British supplier that than goodness the van I was trading in was German as there would be no problems with damp. We didn't specifically go looking for German just had the exact layout for which we were looking. We are extremely pleased with our choice though.

PEM

Jun 5, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
This is my second Brit van but suspect my next one wil be foriegn
Due to the build quality of the basics fixed bed which has aleady fallen to bits twice
While on holiday in France, unfortunately 3" screws had to be used as a temporary fix
To save weight I beleive there was no real frame to hold the gas strut just an 1/2 inch piece of chip board

Nov 23, 2015
cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
IH630RL
Exp
10 years
1st one hobby750 , 2nd swift kontiki 679 ,3rd autotrail comanche ,4th before i retire probably rapido10001 , i did like the look of old mo,s

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have always got the impression when driving around that the majority of British motorhomers drive British motorhomes. However it seems to me that the majority of active members here on MHF (those who post most or go on rallies) buck that trend and prefer European motorhomes. And this poll seems to confirm that.

BTW we have a German motorhome.

FunnyFendt

Free Member
Jun 21, 2010
BH24 2LG
Funster No
MH
Rapido 927F, A-class, LHD
Exp
Since 2000
Left hand drive French Rapido with slide in chassis bike carrier

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ps having the mercedes rear wheel drive means that I haven't EVER been stuck ANYWHERE EVER,! Even the funster meets at Chester and Peterborough! Even in circumstances when the tractors were needed to tow almost all other vans from fields.

Yes I just drove off at Chester too. Towing a two ton trailer as well :rofl: I still remember the hand signals I got from some stuck in the mud wet grass Fiat owners :rofl:

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
French/Ford Transit