LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Auto trail made the Grand Frontier A class.
Great layout. Big sofas, lots of kitchen worktop, bathroom along the rear, and very low, large drop down bed.
All felt very open.
Somehow none of the euro vans seem to have the same layout, similar but not the same.
Screenshot_2016-08-17-09-19-46.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Great layout. Big sofas, lots of kitchen worktop, bathroom along the rear, and very low, large drop down bed.
All felt very open.
Somehow none of the euro vans seem to have the same layout, similar but not the same.
View attachment 120339

One of them lives next to mine in the storage site. I've not seen inside it but it looks a pretty decent van.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Wintered or winter proof as explained by Hymer;
Screenshot_2016-08-17-09-26-38.png
Screenshot_2016-08-17-09-26-45.png

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Cos if you ski and want to take your MH that's what you'll need to be able to do.

Full winterisation means usable without EHU.
Oh ! I see but don't ski ,bought my moho to enjoy the sunshine and the countryside so I wouldn't have need for full winterisation,so an additional cost avoided in my case @NickNic

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Oh ! I see but don't ski ,bought my moho to enjoy the sunshine and the countryside so I wouldn't have need for full winterisation,so an additional cost avoided in my case @NickNic

We don't ski either but we do use the MH all year round without EHU so it's still sonething we would struggle without. It gets bloody cold on beaches too.

I'm not entirely sure it would be fair to describe winterisation as an "addition". Many continental vans are just built that way as standard whilst many (most?) British vans aren't.

My theory is that it comes down to how the converters assume the vehicle will be used. Many of the British converters either started as, or still are, caravan manufacturers so they still work to that British tradition that their products will mostly only be used in the summer, on a campsite, with 16A EHU and so don't need much in the way of winterisation. The continental converters are used to a different way of thinking where their the vehicles are used all year round, parked in a variety of places, often without EHU, and so build them accordingly.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
All felt very open.
View attachment 120339

I think it's a pity that Autotrail didn't persevere with the A class RWD idea. We had a VanRoyce caravan which was built by Autotrail and was very good quality and still nearly as good as new when we sold it after 14 years and bought the Flair, actually we kept it a year just in case we didn't like motorhomes.

Martin

Reactions: Jim

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have an Adria which I think is Slovinea? Winterised van with great build quality. Cab seats swivel round to make part of living area which is great use of the space.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I think it's a pity that Autotrail didn't persevere with the A class RWD idea. We had a VanRoyce caravan which was built by Autotrail and was very good quality and still nearly as good as new when we sold it after 14 years and bought the Flair, actually we kept it a year just in case we didn't like motorhomes.

Martin

Have you decided yet Martin?:LOL:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yep the test sure is crap.
It doesnt mean anything in the real world. Water system frost free after an hour and it passes? Thats laughable.

How about fill water tanks, run water through to all taps, partially fill the grey waste tank, turn on heating then put it in a cold chamber for 4 weeks.

That would be a more realistic test.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
No change vote option ? I hit Italian for fiat before reading on but Autotrail top made in UK ?

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Yes I put a big button under votes and called it Change Your Vote :)
Are you sure it was there earlier before I opened my eyes fully :confused: it's there now :p

Reactions: Jim

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
2008 Swift Bolero on Fiat base so British?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All felt very open.
View attachment 120339
Didn't they have to stop making them because they fell to bits.:ROFLMAO:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Any Grand frontier owners on here fancy commenting?

They are well known for being very troublesome

And IMO a strange layout, where you open the side locker to be met by the bathroom shelves???

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I normally describe ours to non-MHers as an italian chassis, a german body but a british toilet:D

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
An Adria - so Slovenian. Pleased with it so far, love the layout, light and airy.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Any Grand frontier owners on here fancy commenting?

They are well known for being very troublesome

And IMO a strange layout, where you open the side locker to be met by the bathroom shelves???

Just about to travel home from another seven week trip to france in the grande frontier. After seven years I still love her and have never found a layout to beat it. She is now ten years old and the bathroom cupboard issue was sorted before we owned her, a back was put on the cupboard, separating the cupboard from the outside locker. She suits our needs and is used throughout the year.
We could use more garage space though!

Lorraine x

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I thought Thetford were an American company, and the Dutch bit is just the European HQ? Our RV has a Thetford toilet, I don't think they import them from NL.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thetford are a Dutch company.
Nothing to do with Thetford in Norfolk!

Well - you live and learn, sorry guys.

I suppose I always assumed that they were from Norfolk.

Still stand by the comments about grand frontiers though.

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back