British columbia bound

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by betty swallux, Jul 18, 2011.

1. betty swallux

betty swallux Read Only Funster

Hello All, the missus and myself are off to British Columbia (Vancouver) in September where we have hired a motorhome for 17 days.
    Having never been to this neck of the woods (Americas) is there anyone out there that can give us a few pointers on places to see/stay/avoid, must taste etc.
    Being crabby old buggers we are looking more at the coastal regions/Vancouver island, but are open for any suggestions (non offensive)
    Mick and Jan

2. GAUDIE

GAUDIE Read Only Funster

Hi Mick & Jan
    When are you going to BC? I went with the Camping and Caravan Club this year - very expensive but fantastic.
    I have a pass to the National Parks, which you can have, otherwise it will cost you £60 and you do have to have one.
    Give me a call on 01603 279320.
    Gordon

3. algill

algill Funster

Hi Betty

We've done Western Canada 5 times in the last 10 years. Vancouver Island is beautiful. Over on the west coast, Tofino and Ucluelet are quiet and very picturesque and the pace of life is very slow. The Pacific Ocean is a sight to see, particularly if it's stormy. The journey over to that coast is amazing - passing beautiful lakes and Cathedral Grove is well worth seeing.

The East Coast of the Island has lots of interesting places and amazing views at every turn. We once drove all the way up and then caught a ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. You could then drive back south but would be further inland as theres no road on the coast on the mainland.

Victoria on the Island is a lovely city - fairly small and being on the waterfront it's pretty. Buchart Gardens are worth a visit. A whale watching trip in a float plane is something special.

Of course you could always venture east from Vancouver and visit the Rockies. Shouldn't be too many tourists about in September and you'll be guaranteed spectacular scenery.

You'll only need park passes if you're going into Banff National Park or Jasper National Park and you can get them for the day if you're just passing through.

Let me know if you want any more info as I have loads, both in a box and in my head! All this is making me yearn for Canada, it's my favourite place.

Gill

• Like Like x 1
  4. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Hi Gordon.

Leaving your phone number on an open forum may not be a good idea, you could ask Jim to remove it to be safe:thumb:

5. keith

keith Funster

I wouldn't go that far & not see the Rockies, they are (to use an overused Americanism) awsome in the true meaning of the word.

We did the same as Gordon last year & it really is a fantastic trip, not to be missed. :thumb:

Just remember the bears are not Teddy Bears. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We often go on about overnighting at Wallmart---------------------we don't suggest that you do this instead of staying at campgrounds-----but------just to see how they really work !!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
    As others have said--Jasper & Banff are quite stunning (but you have to pay to enter ANY National Park) (we did think BC campgrounds quite expensive ------as a local said to us BC--means Bring Cash) We prefered Yukon--but this would be a bit off your intended route------MAYBE a bit
    late to head North---depends on the season.
    You WILL get on with the 'locals':thumb::thumb:
    Nigel & Pamala

• Like Like x 1
  7. betty swallux

betty swallux Read Only Funster

Fishing in British Columbia

Hello All and thanks for the response:thumb:
    Did anyone try the fishing out there (Sea and Fresh) they say its good?

8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

As above, really........ We have been 4 times and not seen it all. The okanagan is wonderful en route to the rockies and Vancouver Island is wonderful. We actually B&B it, which is great. Suggest to look at pre booking ferries, it can be a bit of a queue sometimes. Have a great time..........:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. algill

algill Funster

No we haven't tried fishing but have friends and family there who do and we have heard how good it is. Now eating the fish, especially the salmon, we can recommend. We can also recommend the Alberta steak.

We find the Provincial Camp grounds are cheaper than the private ones. Many are around $10 a night per unit. However, the further into the tourist area you go, (especially the Rockies) the more expensive they get.

Watch out for the mosquitos - they love all those trees and water!

Gill

• Like Like x 1