British better than Continent vans

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dave and Ginny, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

No I don't want to start a slagging match between which is best!

As our time in the van gets ever longer and we look at overwintering in Spain again later this year, we feel it's time for a little more comfort and space.

Don't get me wrong, we love our old Hymer b544 and as our first and only van it has served us admirably the past 5 years. Our problem is mostly needing a more suitable bed! Again don't get me wrong the drop down bed concept is brilliant, takes no space up during the daytime, is available in moments and is surprisingly comfortable. Unless maybe for some with medical issues, particularly mobility when climbing in and out and over!

So we're looking for an Island bed in a bigger van. Problem is that we don't want to loose too much daytime space.

It seems that, and I may be wrong, only the British market offers the kind of layout we prefer with two long comfortable side seats, centre kitchen, rear bedroom. This kind of layout with the continental vans we've been viewing does not seem to exist until you get 9 metres or thereabouts. Basically those few with island beds seem to have a dinette and front facing habitation seats, all seeming a bit squashed up in the front.

The price comes into it also as from what I'm seeing British vans seem to offer better value for money and higher spec?

Like I said, not a slagging match, just after some opinions please.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. bluesurf989

bluesurf989 Funster

We have had german,french and british motorhomes and i think they all have their pros and cons.
    We have now opted for british as the layout is exactly what we want ie lounge,centre kitchen,end bathroom.
    "love it" and had no issues at all:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We too were looking for a fixed bed but soon realised that the ones we were looking at were getting longer and heavier. We bought an Autocruise Wentworth with two six foot six side benches that we lounge on during the day, fold up table for eating and two single beds at night so I don't disturb the boss on my toilet trips during the night. We use sleeping bags that take a minute to get out of the over cab locker at night and the same in the morning. Massive kitchen area and all @ 7 mtrs. Works for us. (y)

• Like Like x 4
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our first van was British and our current one German. There are build quality differences but they are explained more by the original budget/target market than workmanship.

On neither occasion when we were looking did we have country of origin in mind (we even considered a Rapido :Eeek::laughing:).

If we were in the market again I would do what we did last time, draw up a checklist of what we wanted and see what was the best fit within the budget, never mind the country of origin.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Dave and Ginny

Of course the best van is the one that suits you so it doesn't come down to British or Continental but to your specific needs.

Before you leave the Hymer/Continental camp for good have you looked at the Hymer duo. https://www.hymer.com/en/models/motorhomes/integrierte/hymer-duomobil/layouts-und-data.html

It has quite a nice rear lounge for relaxing and the bed is quite accessible with decent heavy duty steps not a flimsy ladder.

You are right when you say that the British vans are more cosy for lounging in, and they are better value/cheaper but this is where the "you get what you pay for" argument could start with the British vs Continental. To be honest I would try to find something Continental but will say again the "best" van is the one that works for you.

Good luck.

Martin

• Like Like x 4
  6. funflair

Oops, duplicate deleted.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

8. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

9. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Our Autotrail Tracker EKS has the two long side benches and it take us only 3 or 4 minutes to pull them both to the centre and make up our 6ft 2inch long by 5ft 6inches wide bed with a bottom sheet and a duvet (to suit the temperature). Lovely.
    The van is only 6.39mtrs long and a dream to drive. Just another option for you to consider.
    Good luck.
    Mitch.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We have had the same issues, want lounge space, 3.5 ton limit, would like fixed bed.
    In the end we traded our old B544 for a new B544. The bed drops much lower so much easier for access and a really nice fit out, chuffed (y)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I need to go and have a look around a newer 544 and have a try of the bed. We do love the Hymer and particularly the layout.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Thanks Martin, looks a lovely van albeit a bit out of our price range. Do like that rear lounge layout , first saw it on Frankia at Newark last year. Again, need to try the beds. Any idea what a LHD from the continent is coming in at?

13. Portland

Portland Funster

We have never owned a British van but would say that if you want comfort and a better interior then the British is best. People say the Continental vans are better made but the old British vans you see around put down that argument. Best of luck

14. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Will just love this thread as I believe it will go viral like mine did on a similar theme. Will have this on the big screen so i don't miss the juicy bits. Roy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We liked the twin sofa layouts of some british vans but there are no external lockers on many , perhaps one that accesses under the bed.
    Also all are coachbuilt and we prefer an a class .
    As far as quality build I think our Hymer takes some beating with double floor and underfloor lockers including access to fresh and grey tanks for cleaning.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Happy with my AT Scout.

Much happier than with my Burstner Aviano A class.

Can't talk about build quality cos it's over my head to be honest(y)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Yay ! Its,started. !!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. funflair

Hi, sorry I don't know the answer to that, I believe they have only been out for not much more than a year, I could google them on mobile.de or whatever but I'm sure you are quite capable of doing that yourself.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

When we bought Buffy it was due to layout and the number of travel seats. We are swapping only because we have another grandchild to kidnap and Buffy just isn't quite big enough. If the kids were older (teens) an awning with integrated tent would have been ideal but they are still very young so need to be inside with us.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Same when I bought khizzie right layout, right price ,and has proved right choice ..grandchildren all grown up so they didn't feature in my choice of vehicle ..had her for many years and have not had any problems to date ...Roy

• Like Like x 1