Brit Stops?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Nigel&Debbie, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Anyone got expierence of Brit Stops? Is it worth the joining fee etc. Their web site does not give much info as a 'non subsriber'

Thanks in advance for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
  2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We joined Brit Stops last year and found it well worth the cost so we shall sign-up again when the new book comes out in the next few weeks.

There are some great stopovers for which of course there is no charge. We stayed at various farms & pubs where, although not a requirement, we make a point of having a meal or purchasing from the farm shops. The stops are all businesses and would not offer the service if all motorhomers just treated them as free.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Well the guys who sell the subs are really nice

Yes. Hmm. As the title says the guys who sell the subscriptions are really nice. But I'm not sure if I can justify the cost...

The website of the motorcaravaners club list overnight stopovers and these also appear in Practical Motorhome. These are often pubs.

Brit Stops locations are often pubs.

MotorhomeStopover locations are often pubs.

My local was approached by one of these (won't say which) and they asked if it was okay to approach one of the other sites. They were told we'd rather you didn't but we can't stop you.

So it's only what £30 ish but it's not like you are getting a much more than a directory listing; there's no TripAdvisor style reviews.

Many pubs are on the interweb themselves. I found googling "motorhome parking pub" +location shows plenty of results and also reveals thoughtful MH'ers who have put together their own lists...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 9
  4. keith

keith Funster

Used it last year and found it good, hopefully the new book will have an increased number of places to stop, especially north of the border. :thumb:

Steve is a member on FUN so easily contactable for funsters.

• Like Like x 2
  5. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Works for me:thumb:

I feel the website could be better
    but the principle of free stays on farm shop
    brewery pub sites etc is a good one
    and works perfectly with the Britstops Book
    which gives chance to plan journeys and
    generally tells you what to look for in any site chosen.
    you could check it out at any of the shows.

Roger & Sheila:Smile::BigGrin:
    Teddybard

• Like Like x 2
  6. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

Used a pub stop near Winchester in November on our way to Spain. Lovely meal and welcome in the pub and interesting village to walk around and explore.

If you motorhome in the UK a lot and like to discover some interesting places, then its worthwhile.

• Like Like x 4
  7. gypsyrose

gypsyrose Funster

We would not be without Britt Stops. They have a wide variety of stops....craft shops, all sorts, not just pubs. Many very friendly hosts too.
    We have often been the only motorhome staying and it has been peaceful and above all, safe. We love the farm shops, always liking to try their mainly excellent products.
    We cannot wait for the next book to come out! :Wink:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

This is a difficult one, yes it would be nice to have a list of the stopovers and allow members to rate them, but that would necessitate having the list outside of the handbook and then you run the very real risk that it will be abused, it would be copied and distributed; people would share links and for many there would be no need to buy the book. Without sales this great little scheme will wither and die. A membership site might work, but I know running one of those can almost be a full time job:Eeek:

I would think getting members into the scheme, producing the guides and trying to attract members, costs considerable time and money. Being a service provider for 30 years, I can well imagine how much more time is spent in the on going dialogue between members and pitch providers, just sucking hours out of each day. None of this is a concern of the end user, they just want value for money. IMO Britstop members get just that.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Detnor

Detnor Funster

We carry the book with us also, very useful it has been. Yes you can search around and find some of the pubs, but it is more than just this. it is well thought out and if the type of stops suits you, then worth using.

You can't miss Steve in his Union Jack shirt and bowl of sweets, and on twitter, we have been getting a daily countdown to the release of the new guide:RollEyes:

10. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Hi Nigel&Debbie,

As Keith mentioned, I'm always here on Fun, so if you've any questions, please just fire away! And as teddybard said, you're welcome to have a flick through the book at any of the motorhome shows (our first is the NEC later this month).

(Quick plug while I'm here: pre-orders placed this month benefit from free p&p!) :thumb:

Steve :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Ha Ha! Just saw Detnor's post above - makes me sound like some kind of "childcatcher"! :Eeek::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Detnor

Detnor Funster

More just a funster catcher :Laughing:

13. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Just ordered this years book

Well I just ordered the 2013 book ready for our UK trip starting in June. The way I look at it is if Steve puts the time into sorting the places out and producing the book, then it is not a lot of money for peace of mind.
    If I/we can stay in a place and have a beer/wine and/or some food all for around 12/15 pounds a night and then stay in the car-park/field for free ( or even not buy anything if I wish) then the book is paid for in 1 or 2 trips.

John

14. jennyp19

jennyp19 Read Only Funster

Pleased I read this thread - just ordered mine. We will be putting it to good use later this year, as we want to do a bit of touring round UK & Scotland before heading South for the winter.

15. sedge

sedge Funster

Well it could quite easily pay for itself; I mean even on a decent CL which by their nature tend to be outside of centres, sometimes quite remote which is OK in a car/caravan but not so good in a MH - and frequently not always walkable or with a regular bus service - the cost of a meal or drink is offset by the free site.

But you would have to mix em in with CLs etc in view of cassette etc emptying and water.

16. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Depends on how much the meal is...speaking from experience :Blush:

Suffice to say, in my 2nd Brit Stop year I was a bit more careful, but I always ended up paying for something because it didn't feel right just using the facilities for nothing. It's more difficult with a farm shop, because then I'll buy a load of stuff for the next few days so how do you work out the effective stopover cost. OK, you probably can, but I can't be bothered.

Brit Stops aren't just about saving money....they also give you extra places to stop when sites/wildcamping spots aren't available. It's nice to have a guaranteed piece of hardstanding to park on in the winter, though not all of the Brit Stops are open all year.

I'll be renewing mine :thumb:

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Just had a look on your web site - with difficulty - you've a typo in your FUN resume.

One thing I could not see is sites by country, at worst, or better, number of sites by area.

Don't be coy.

Someone here said £30, I think I saw £25 on your web site.

At the rate the pound is sinking, 2014 could be your bumper year.

18. sedge

sedge Funster

Well yes it would depend on the price of the meal, but if a CL costs (say) £10 a night then you can knock a fiver off the price of each meal can't you? - based on a couple.

If you were concerned about prices for food, I assume Britstops have the phone numbers, you can always ring and ask?

I mean I'd want to ask Is your menu chips with everything? If it is, then I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay top dollar wherever it was!

19. Wildax

Wildax Read Only Funster

What's the other guide that is similar

I'm sure at a show last year I chatted to the Brit Stops people and I also chatted to another stand offering something similar. Does anyone have any idea of what the other guide that is similar to Brit Stops is and how the 2 services compare.

20. sedge

sedge Funster

Xenophobe Passion, perchance ? :Rofl1: