Brit Stops

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by iandsm, Jun 27, 2015.

1. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Sounds an interesting idea rather like France Passion but has anyone actually used it by buying the book and staying at places recommend.

I am reluctant to pay the fee when I have no idea whether there are any stopping places in area I want to visit. There are 500 or so places but it would be nice to know where some are before committing myself.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 3
  3. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

If you enter Britstops into the search engine at the top of the pages, it will return some 9 pages of threads.
    The guys who run Brit Stops are members and contribute to this forum so if you have a specific question.
    To precis the debate, majority for & think its a good idea and value for money but it doesn't suit some.
    Like life really :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. lorger

lorger Funster

Not a member bit seriously thinking of joining, I have liked their page on Facebook to gauge comments by users and have to say it's about 99.9% positive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

On one right now, 617 in 2015 book. Two of us here, the lady from the other couple is a folk singer, there is a folk night on, hot pot, and bar with hand pulls from local micro brewery. £12 each for the folk night tickets, free night with britstop. If we want tomorrow morning breakfasts start at 9 am. Lots of local walks, many around the britstop farm itself, dogs welcome on leads. Pub in local village about 150 yards. You won't believe this is right on the Merseyside Boundary. Buy the book, try it, what's to lose? image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Just looked at a friends book and the number of brit stops in Scotland is rather disappointing but then again we can wild camp in most places so not the same requirements here I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Yes.

It works.

Buy the book.

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Buy the book the best £25 you will ever spend, have used dozens in UK never had a bad one. In Ireland now and have used a few in this years book and will be useing more in the next weeks while here. Steve from Brit Stops always replies to updates that we find. It's a god send BUY

• Like Like x 2
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Agree.... The main turn off is not knowing where they are...it's a very strange set up IMO

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickNic

But if you buy the book you do know where they are.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Judge Mental

And waste £25 if no suitable locations..

In fact I considered buying it for house hunting on south coast until a friendly owner told me there where none in areas of interest. As I said its an odd set up and probably holds back wider sales.

12. NickNic

And from Britstops point of view if they just published all the locations for free who would buy the book?

• Like Like x 4
  13. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

If you happen to go to any of the MH shows, Steve often has a stand where you can browse the book to see if it might be right for you.
    I guess there are no certainties in life but for me, the 'gamble' was worth it - Brit Stop somewhere, 3 times in a whole year, and the book has paid for itself
    [However, if you are someone who never pays anything to pitch or park up overnight, or never usually goes to a pub etc, then perhaps it's not for you].

As for wasting the money "if no suitable locations", as a newbie I find that a bit baffling.
    Does everyone know exactly where they want to be going in the next 12 months?

What I've done so far [only a month] is look where I want to go and see what type of options are available inc Brit Stops.

• Like Like x 2
  14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Which means you have to buy the book on the off chance there might be a spot near where your destination might be.

I probably will invest because I think just two nights at a Britstop location it pays for itself and equates to one night at a CC or CC&C site and after that it's a saving but it is a shot in the dark.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Judge Mental

That is hardly my problem.. I can look on ACSI web site, decide if the books and stops right for me, buy the book and produce the card at sites. As I said originally this a very odd set up thats all

16. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

The main point here Mr Judge is the 'produce the card at sites'. Most of the pubs, farm shops etc in the guide would probably not be bothered at all whether or not you had the Britstops book, they just hope that you might spend a few quid with them.

If there was a list of Britstops locations you could browse without buying the book - there would be no book.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Find myself agreeing with judge for maybe the first time, we had it two years ago, my sons got it this year so could borrow his if needed but don't think ill be bothering, it cost us a fortune in meals and drinks, never mind the £25. I know you are supposed to not be obliged to buy anything but thats not our style.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

We have bought the book twice, good idea but has cost me a lot of money due to my inability to enter a pub without trying a few delicacy's. As I said if you use it its worth it. We have also just rocked up at a pub had a bite to eat and asked to stay in car park which has always been yes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

Can't access the Britstops group page - is there a problem?

Brian

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

looks like it..

the Groups button is missing ,, and I get an error trying access an old post..

@Jim