Brit stops question (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Bless her
Might seem a daft question but do you need to book the stopovers or is it just a case of turning up unannounced?
Some of them specifically state that you must ring ahead, but since we will want to dine in the establishment, we always do firstly to book a table, and secondly as a courtesy :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We bought the book last year but only got around to trying out one pub .. and to be fair, it was good.. we had a meal and coffee and spent about £25 ..

Car park was good.. very quiet .
DSCN3331.JPG

Late in the summer we went Wales planning to use BS if we couldn't find a CL , but we found some great value CLs which we prefer... so never used another BritStop location..

Haven't bought this year and don't plan to.. in my experience if you go to a pub and buy meal the landlord will invariable let you stay overnight ..

My main gripe is the cost each year.. not suggesting it should be free but I think £30 is a lot for what it is.. and if only use a few times is not good value for money..
A phone app with a small annual subscription, like Campercontact, would have me renewing each year ..

So summing up.. if you enjoy and use pubs and like stopping at them overnight.. it's a good idea...

There is a Google map that @keith made that has pub stops on it.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/pubs-that-allow-over-night-stops.32120/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1B_k8cst5osXaWVYrnWbB6qPGugU

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We bought the book last year but only got around to trying out one pub .. and to be fair, it was good.. we had a meal and coffee and spent about £25 ..

Car park was good.. very quiet .
View attachment 107276

Late in the summer we went Wales planning to use BS if we couldn't find a CL , but we found some great value CLs which we prefer... so never used another BritStop location..

Haven't bought this year and don't plan to.. in my experience if you go to a pub and buy meal the landlord will invariable let you stay overnight ..

My main gripe is the cost each year.. not suggesting it should be free but I think £30 is a lot for what it is.. and if only use a few times is not good value for money..
A phone app with a small annual subscription, like Campercontact, would have me renewing each year ..

So summing up.. if you enjoy and use pubs and like stopping at them overnight.. it's a good idea...

There is a Google map that @keith made that has pub stops on it.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/pubs-that-allow-over-night-stops.32120/

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1B_k8cst5osXaWVYrnWbB6qPGugU
My sentiment exactly(y) and if you have friends that are thinking of useing them, you only need one book between you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not a Britstop as such although it is in the book.

New Dover Road Park & Ride in Canterbury aka Canterbury Aire.

£3 per 24 hours with water and waste.

There's an OK pub right outside the P&R

It's about 20 minutes from the tunnel.
Here ya go @Popeye. Looks just about right .will need to check what time the barrier is open /locked ..Roy

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
I love the BritStops. Some of them are in stunning locations (e.g. canalside), never had a bad meal from any of the pubs, some of fantastic landlords and locals, and the last one we stayed in (Friday night), had all the facilities of a campsite (fresh water, grey disposal, toilet disposal, and toilet/shower), and the most amazing food.
I like to use campsites when we are going to be spending a few days in a place, but if travelling, Britstops suit us much better.
THe other thing I love about the Britstops, is both of us getting to have some wine with dinner cos nobody has to drive 'home'.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Well we've used our first BritStop...no.807 in the book and it was fantastic, cooked breakfast in the morning which was delicious and some goodies in the farm shop, and a very peaceful nights sleep unlike our stop at York Marina!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We are touring Scotland this Summer and will probably split Glasgow and Edinburgh so this will be a perfect stop over. Thanx

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We are touring Scotland this Summer and will probably split Glasgow and Edinburgh so this will be a perfect stop over. Thanx

You're welcome, we're heading to the west coast after visiting friends in Selkirk so it was ideal, doesn't look much from the outside but would certainly go there again

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm a Britstops fan and we always have the book with us. We've stayed in pub carparks, visitor centres, farm shops....... Okay, it costs to be a member but just a couple of stops and it has paid for itself. We always have a drink and sometimes a meal at a pub stopover, shop in a farm shop or look round the visitor centre and buy gifts or have tea or an ice cream.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm a Britstops fan and we always have the book with us. We've stayed in pub carparks, visitor centres, farm shops....... Okay, it costs to be a member but just a couple of stops and it has paid for itself. We always have a drink and sometimes a meal at a pub stopover, shop in a farm shop or look round the visitor centre and buy gifts or have tea or an ice cream.

I'm converted @Puddleduck
We're currently on a big site in Oban so we can empty waste, charge electrical stuff etc and I know where I'd rather be.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We bought the book last year but used the ones on the pub stopover map instead so didn't bother this year means the first 2 bottles of wine are free!!!!

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Try Millers Farm Shop Kilmington near Axminster (home of the carpets) Devon. on A35.

colyboy

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Just a note......tried to stay at no. 840 for tonight but it doesn't mention on the details that anything longer than 7m overhangs into the road, so we've moved up the coast to silversands near Arisaig, lovely view but not as cheap as a BritStop!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just a note......tried to stay at no. 840 for tonight but it doesn't mention on the details that anything longer than 7m overhangs into the road, so we've moved up the coast to silversands near Arisaig, lovely view but not as cheap as a BritStop!
Wild camp its scotland!!!

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Wild camp its scotland!!!

The wildcamping spot just up the road is full, along with all of the CL's, and to be honest it's difficult to know where is OK to stop for the night and where isn't, reading other threads it doesn't seem to be a case of just pitching up anywhere you fancy.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were timid at first but think the aires in France helped us to be more adventurous we found some great free places on Arran

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
In Scotland, unless there is a sign which specifically says you can't stop, you should be OK.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We dont subscribe to Britstops but we DO love pub car parks when we want a simple overnight stop on our way to a "proper" site. In the UK you only have to drive out into the countryside for a few miles and you will come across a quiet pub in nice surroundings. We then go in, order a pint, and politely request permission to stop for the night. So far we have never been refused. We normally spend the evening in the pub and by 10:30 or so at night it is quiet and the car park normally has CCTV so we feel very safe.........simples

The Tincas

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
99% of the pub ones are excellent.. But we have also used a few farm shop types and they have been stunning !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back