Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We have recently changed the van and the new one has a couple of batteries and a solar panel so I'm looking to get the most from it, just wondering about Brit stops, is it all pub car parks or are there some decent spots to stopover in amongst it
Thanks in advance
Dave

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have the 2015 book and I would say 90% are pubs. There are other establishments such as farm shops and vineyards etc but are fairly few and far between.
Must confess to never having used it due OH`s reluctance, "I`m not sleeping on a pub carpark"
I would certainly use them and I think some of them are in beautiful locations but I`m stuck using sites so far :mad:

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I have the 2015 book and I would say 90% are pubs. There are other establishments such as farm shops and vineyards etc but are fairly few and far between.
Must confess to never having used it due OH`s reluctance, "I`m not sleeping on a pub carpark"
I would certainly use them and I think some of them are in beautiful locations but I`m stuck using sites so far :mad:

Same as, t'other half wouldn't fancy that, particularly if punters were banging on our door all night trying to buy kebabs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
We've stayed in about 5 different locations, and they've all ended up being pub car parks but they have all been absolutely fine.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Is there a britstop near the tunnel( Brit side )

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We use them and have had some great stopovers in lovely country pubs with good beers and food. All the landlords/landladies have been very hospitable and usually park us out of the way so it's good for their car park and quieter for us too

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Pub car parks are great.

Britstops are pretty much all car parks of one kind of another. That's the point!

@Dave K Depends on your definition of "decent" If to you that basically means a campsite with facilities then Britstops isn't going to be for you. If you just want somewhere to park up, have something to eat and sleep for the night then you'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is there a britstop near the tunnel( Brit side )

Not a Britstop as such although it is in the book.

New Dover Road Park & Ride in Canterbury aka Canterbury Aire.

£3 per 24 hours with water and waste.

There's an OK pub right outside the P&R

It's about 20 minutes from the tunnel.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Do you use Facebook? If so join the group, it's v active, lots of pics posted + comments, just numbers quoted. Steve who runs Britstops is a member on here + the fb group. It's called something like 'discussion group for britstops'. Might help to persuade your oh

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Pub car parks are great.

Britstops are pretty much all car parks of one kind of another. That's the point!

@Dave K Depends on your definition of "decent" If to you that basically means a campsite with facilities then Britstops isn't going to be for you. If you just want somewhere to park up, have something to eat and sleep for the night then you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info, don't need facilities, just might be handy for stopping over on the way to somewhere else

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Do you use Facebook? If so join the group, it's v active, lots of pics posted + comments, just numbers quoted. Steve who runs Britstops is a member on here + the fb group. It's called something like 'discussion group for britstops'. Might help to persuade your oh

I don't use fb but the other half does so I've just got her to take a look (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I don't use fb but the other half does so I've just got her to take a look (y)
I didn't till about 2 weeks ago....it's an experience. Really frustrating at times as you can't search for particular Britstops but it will give you both a better idea whether it's be worth investing. Personally I'd say try it, they're great.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Well I've ordered the book on the sly, other half seems quite taken with the Facebook page and is signing up for all sorts of other wild camping pages, so thanks @Debs (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I don't want to put her off....:D
@movan has posted in the past asking why do folks use the funsters fb group rather than the forum.....I've no idea, I much prefer to use the forum...so easy to find stuff....can you tell I'm not keen on fb.:LOL:.....you get drawn into all these different groups... You'll have to prise the phone out of your oh's hand at some point:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
@movan has posted in the past asking why do folks use the funsters fb group rather than the forum.....I've no idea, I much prefer to use the forum...so easy to find stuff....can you tell I'm not keen on fb.:LOL:.....you get drawn into all these different groups... You'll have to prise the phone out of your oh's hand at some point:ROFLMAO:

That's why we have an iPad each :), much better on a forum in my opinion, more user friendly, anyway I thought fb was for showing people what you had for your tea?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
That's why we have an iPad each :), much better on a forum in my opinion, more user friendly, anyway I thought fb was for showing people what you had for your tea?
Yep and the way some of the posts are written is really irritating hun:LOL:

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Yep and the way some of the posts are written is really irritating hun:LOL:

I can imagine, I waste enough time on here without getting tied up,with Facebook as well, working for a living would get in the way

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We use BritStops a lot. Generally pub car parks, but that's the point. We have a strict rule, weekends are family time, so being able to head off to somewhere out of the way, have a meal and a drink, and then explore is brilliant for us.
We haven't explored too many this year, but that's all set to change in the next few weeks.

It made me laugh this weekend, for an extra special treat this weekend, I booked a suite in a 5* hotel for my wifes 40th. Very posh it was too. This morning when we checked out, my 7 year old daughter asked if we could stay in the campervan next weekend. I said, don't you like this hotel then? Yes daddy, but I've got my own bedroom in the campervan, so there aren't any monsters! :D Bless!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
image.jpg

Our Britstop a couple of weeks ago.

image.jpg

The @BritStops that made our mind up to join.

We have only joined this year but we are finding it useful

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We use BritStops a lot. Generally pub car parks, but that's the point. We have a strict rule, weekends are family time, so being able to head off to somewhere out of the way, have a meal and a drink, and then explore is brilliant for us.
We haven't explored too many this year, but that's all set to change in the next few weeks.

It made me laugh this weekend, for an extra special treat this weekend, I booked a suite in a 5* hotel for my wifes 40th. Very posh it was too. This morning when we checked out, my 7 year old daughter asked if we could stay in the campervan next weekend. I said, don't you like this hotel then? Yes daddy, but I've got my own bedroom in the campervan, so there aren't any monsters! :D Bless!

Bless her
Might seem a daft question but do you need to book the stopovers or is it just a case of turning up unannounced?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Bless her
Might seem a daft question but do you need to book the stopovers or is it just a case of turning up unannounced?

The Brit Stop book will let you know if the Host wishes to be "Phone Ahead" and give any other details. We have always phoned and usually get, "no worries, just turn up and let us know". We were new to Brit Stops this year and have really kicked the ar$e out of them. We are away most weekends and use Brit Stops whenever possible. We have even had a few pubs sign up for the scheme as hosts and have one pondering the idea and will check with the brewery as they are part of a big chain. We have stayed in Wineries, Farm Shops and Breweries. We have a few more planned for the coming weeks and two of them are returns. Out of the 10 or so we have used we haven’t had a bad one yet and no rowdy patrons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back