Bristol CC Site Closing (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Currently staying at the Bristol site and have been informed the site will be closing by December 31st. This might be old news to some but it's the first I've heard about it. :Eeek: it's a site we love coming to .
How sad, it's a wonderful site .
Apparently it's going to be turned into a primary school , near two rivers! What they thinking of.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
deteion centre :Doh::Eeek: just KIDDING!:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

margareth

Free Member
Aug 9, 2013
merseyside
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
im a newby
Can you give me the name of this site please, as I have someone I know would be interested in knowing.... they are hoping to go to Bristol shortly.. I hope it is not the same one.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Currently staying at the Bristol site and have been informed the site will be closing by December 31st. This might be old news to some but it's the first I've heard about it. :Eeek: it's a site we love coming to .
Apparently it's going to be turned into a primary school , near two rivers! What they thinking of.

This is the first I've heard of this and I live next door!

Terrible news :Doh:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That's unfortunate news. :cry:

I know it's very popular, although haven't actually stayed there. We do pass the entrance nearly every time we go to into town though.

Must be unique to have a campsite so close to the heart of a major British city.

Mike

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Its Baltic Wharf and the CC have confirmed its closing. According to the council their is a need for a primary school in that area, and its the only bit of suitable land. I guess they can afford to build the school but not if they had to buy the land as well, so although its a stupid location for a school, its their only option.

Ian

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
This is getting me more and more wound up!:cry:

I think that I shall contact my local councillor and probably the mayor as well!

It would be such a shame to lose the site. It is constantly fully booked and must bring so much income into the city. I feel the convenience of the site attracts people who otherwise would not consider Bristol as a holiday destination. We live in a spectacular city but few people outside the area realise it!

It's a crazy place to put a school - there are very few "family" houses in the immediate vicinity, so children would have to travel to attend.

If the land has to be sold, and I assume that the council probably own it, sell it to a residential developer who would pay a king's ransom for it. That should help the coffers of the city council and maybe relieve some of the burden on us tax payers.

Disgusted of Baltic Wharf. :Angry:

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Just winged an email off to my local councillor.

Will keep you posted. :cry:

Aug 25, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
:Sad:
great site don't suppose a petition against closure would help

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Motorhomer ... Really cheesed off . Only joined the CC so could go to this site regularly this year to see my daughter. There is nowhere else even near the city centre if you go to Bristol ... and those on the outside - Bath Chew Valley etc are pretty expensive. Wildcamping is nil as is parking on a SAFE pub car park ... I have two friends who offered to let me stay on their business car park but I don't want to put on people. Anyone with a large plot of land next to the city centre could make a killing now.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I think its a done deal, see here: Broken Link Removed

Ian

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
You'd be lucky to book one night between now and the end of the year!

We booked 2 holidays there for this year on the first day CC took bookings back in December - it's our favourite site.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think we we will lose more campsites to development. Lots of campsites are a sort of halfway between green and brownfield sites. As the pressure is increased to build lots more property these brownfield sites will become much more valuable. The campsite owners being able to earn many, many times their annual income in one sale will cut and run.

Aug 25, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
balloons and boats

Not sure about balloon festival but I am sure SS,GREAT BRITAIN will see a drop in revenue and the Cottage pub!:Sad:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
[HI]There is nowhere else even near the city centre if you go to Bristol ... and those on the outside - Bath Chew Valley etc are pretty expensive. [/HI]

Jo have a word with Cotham park rugby club at beggars bush lane, they may be able to help when you do your visits.:thumb:

Aug 25, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
::bigsmile: Dont despair Movan,newspaper say CC relocating so maybe you could end up closer to family,Anybody heard of the relocation site yet??

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
It's interesting that the council plan to put a school on the site rather than sell to a developer. It is one of the best locations in Bristol. Worth a fortune.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
::bigsmile: Dont despair Movan,newspaper say CC relocating so maybe you could end up closer to family,Anybody heard of the relocation site yet??

If there going to relocate, why can't they build the school on that site. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If there going to relocate, why can't they build the school on that site. :thumb:

The reason for using the site is apparently to remedy a shortfall of primary school places in that particular area, rather than Bristol as a whole. I'm surprised, though, that (given that the newspaper mentioned Ambra Vale) they didn't choose a site north of Cumberland Basin &c. Presumably no council owned land available and the cost of obtaining suitable land would be too much of a burden on local taxpayers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The reason for using the site is apparently to remedy[HI] a shortfall of primary school places [/HI]in that particular area, rather than Bristol as a whole.

Reason being ...

BRISTOL's population shot up by 10 per cent over the past decade, the latest census figures have revealed.

The number of people living in the city jumped by almost 40,000, from 390,000 to 428,000 between 2001 and 2011.

The rise in population in Bristol was well above the national average increase of seven per cent and one of the largest in the South West.

Nationally, the biggest population increase since records began 210 years ago – by 3.7 million to 56.1 million people in England and Wales – has been put down to[HI] a decade of mass immigration, a baby boom[/HI] and longer life expectancy.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
The reply from my councillor

Dear Jane,

Yes I also only heard that this was going ahead from the media a couple of weeks ago. The Council raised the idea a couple of years ago, but nothing more was heard of it since then, until now. The land is owned by the Council, and I think the problem is that there is desperate need for more primary school places in central Bristol, and the Council has run out of options for other locations. Ultimately this is the Mayor's decision, and my understanding is that it has already happened.

I agree that the loss of the camp-site would be a disaster, and this means that we must make sure that the camp-site is offered a new site somewhere centrally that they can move to. There may be some sites near Temple Meads, perhaps. I know many of the tourist attractions nearby are very upset about the loss of the camp-site.

I agree that the site isn't ideal. When it was suggested 2 years ago, I opposed it because the proposed Wapping Wharf school site was better is every way. However, it's 2 years later now and the Wapping Wharf site fell through and there is still a need for school places in the centre - now I'm not sure if it might be better than nothing. I get many contacts from parents worried that their children wont have anywhere to go to school in a year or two, and this problem wont go away...

Yours,
Mark

--
Dr Mark Wright
Liberal Democrat Councillor for Cabot, Bristol
www.cabot-liberals.org

Dear Mark

I have heard a rumour tonight that the Caravan Club site at Baltic Wharf is to close and a school built on the land? Is this correct? Whose decision is this and who owns this land?

I feel that it would be disastrous for us to lose such an unique amenity. The site is constantly fully booked due to it's ideal location. It attracts tens of thousands of campers each year. These people spend a lot of money in our city! Many of these campers would never have considered Bristol as a holiday destination but for the convenience of this site. When these people arrive they are amazed at our spectacular city! Subsequently, they spread the word about this hidden gem.

Apart from this, I feel that the site is not an ideal location for a school. Very few families live on Spike Island meaning that children would have to travel to attend.

Looking forward to hearing your views.

Regards

Jane Mowl

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Final Time at Bristol

Have managed to book a few days in December to say farewell to a great site in a great location. There is of course a great positioned site at Bath Marina next to the park & ride just up the road. They just need to upgrade the facilities a bit and provide a service point. Couple of great pubs nearby as well and on the Bristol/Bath cycle trail.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back