bringing a Hymer back from Germany - any companies willing to insure? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ahh but I only have 3 yes ncd on a motorhome so they said this was the reason along with 2 other named drivers. I will check out others though as it may be worth my while losing whatever it costs to leave current insurance company and go with another.
Comfort operate a net policy so won't make any difference.
Oh Lenny, any chance of those lexan details.
:)
Sent you a PM a couple of days ago.

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
OMG! £278 for exactly the same policy now the van is on UK soil.... only caveat is it needs to have a UK reg - all info gone to DVLA (inc VCA cert) on monday so knowing how efficient DVLA are i should have that back by 2018
thanks Lenny for the heads up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Good news indeed...to cheer us up more how much do you think importing has save compared to buying on treasure island (the UK):)

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
ok, here goes bare with me here...

I looked around for the same van here in blighty, found a 2010, 40k on the clock for £42K. i couldnt find another UK model up for sale at the time.
kruger caravans in Kiel were selling 2 yr old models (2014 editions) initially for £38k but after some wrangling i got it for £34300. This was the premium 50 model (40mm insulation over 35mm, winterised, quite a few bells and whistles over standard model) with 36000km (22300 ish miles) on the clock. The van was mint, FSH (ford and hymer) apart from one small cracked plastic piece, they ordered a replacement and i received it yesterday. 1.5yrs warranty.

outlay:
4 days off to get it
flight to hamburg - £55
hotels x 3 nights - £210
train travel - £45
food - £100 ish
german tax and plates etc - £175
ferry home - £200
£100 for the VCA,
£285 for 1st yrs tax and reg docs
£50 for new bulkhead regulator
£100 fuel to get back to inverness from Keil (its one economical van compared to my 2009 CI mizar!)
total - £1320

total all in - £35620 (ive probably missed something but its around this)

we are happy with that especially now that ive been over the van with a fine toothcomb and its as mint as i first though.

Just waiting for the DVLA docs so we can head out to the west coast for a wee night oot

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
oh, i missed an extra £30 as we upgraded to commodore class when on the newcastle ferry..well posh

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Saved 6K
4 years newer
Half the mileage
And an adventure thrown in
I'd call that a result:clap2::notworthy2:
How'd ya pay for it, and i don't mean 7 years overtime and put the missus out on the street
One or two might be interested how you handled payment transfer etc did it feel / was it safe:pray:
any downsides to your purchase:boxing:
G

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I use Easy FX...call for best rates and compare (not all protected so watch it)

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
Kruger caravan wouldnt take anything other than money transfer. I used FC exchange as the rate was far better than the bank, it was underwritten by Barcleys and i didnt get charged a penny as it was over £3k. To top it off i got an email from them last night sending me an £80 amazon voucher... result.

the trip was a right laugh as my best mate tagged along and we hadnt had a guys only trip since the fateful "Tenerife 94" debauched clubbing holiday. Only drawback was him getting completely smashed on the ferry then wandering off at 2am "for a walk" and not getting back until 5.30am!, man did he suffer on the ride home especially with me constantly warning him that "if you puke on that seat you are a deadman" :)

downside....so far absolutely nadda... im looking out the window now at that lovely lady parked in my drive, she's a beaut...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Kruger caravan wouldnt take anything other than money transfer. I used FC exchange as the rate was far better than the bank, it was underwritten by Barcleys and i didnt get charged a penny as it was over £3k. To top it off i got an email from them last night sending me an £80 amazon voucher... result.

the trip was a right laugh as my best mate tagged along and we hadnt had a guys only trip since the fateful "Tenerife 94" debauched clubbing holiday. Only drawback was him getting completely smashed on the ferry then wandering off at 2am "for a walk" and not getting back until 5.30am!, man did he suffer on the ride home especially with me constantly warning him that "if you puke on that seat you are a deadman" :)

downside....so far absolutely nadda... im looking out the window now at that lovely lady parked in my drive, she's a beaut...

Yeah but at what exchange rate!:cautious:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back