Bringing a dog into the UK from Southern Ireland (1 Viewer)

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Please help us out with some conflicting advice. Been to the vet today and asked "Do we have to get worming treatment before we bring our dog back into the UK (Wales) from Southern Ireland?). Vet replies "Yes you need to see a vet for worming treatment before coming back on the ferry". Have just looked at the Goverment UK site and under Section 6 Tapework Treatment for Dogs - it says that you don't need to get tapeworm treatment if you are coming into the UK from Ireland - confusing or what!!!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You don't need to worry about the worming or tick treatments, you only need worming doing if you are coming back from mainland Europe.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/pet_passport_needed_for_ireland

Your vet needs to be 'educated' as to the correct information - it looks like he/she is confusing Ireland with mainland Europe - no doubt you'll be able to 'teach' him/her!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've been to Ireland 3 times now with the dogs and the ferry companies do not carry out ANY checks whatsoever as they do not have to - they don't ask to see Passports etc ... they don't even ask if we have dogs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A bit like saying you can transport a dog from Belgium without any paperwork but from Holland it needs a passport and vaccines..

IRELAND is IRELAND....be it north or south.....and all 'belonged' to the UK in the past.
As Northern Ireland is still in the UK they can't insist on anything.
If it were the case anyone living on the Scottish islands would also need dog passports and vaccinations to come to the mainland

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You need the pet passport, but not the worming treatment. We've never had it checked though.
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport
I may be mistaken but I see nothing relating to Ireland in your link.
Northern ireland is part of the UK, Eire is independant except there are no fenced borders to keep disease under control thus no passport or vaccine requirements.
As I said previously, if it were the case everyone living on Anglesea, Linisfarn, the Scottish islands and the Isle of Man would also need pet passports and vaccines to come to the mainland

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I brought the wife over, didn't need to worm her, she just needed a good combing, and a tickle behind the ear. (y)

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Section 6 of the gov.uk document I gave a link to-
"You don’t need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway."

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I brought the wife over, didn't need to worm her, she just needed a good combing, and a tickle behind the ear. (y)

Now I wish all women were as easy as that to please Tootles, life would be so much simpler. I've always known that I'm in dodgy territory when my wife says FINE!!!!! :whistle:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There are no doggie lanes to go to at the ports.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I didn't think there were any border* controls at which to present your documentation anyway between the north and south.

Yet! :)

*Might be different for Border Collies and Border Terriers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back