Bridge closure at Rouen

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Brisey, May 13, 2013.

1. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

I found this information on another site, it may be of use to some here on Fun.

The Mathilde Bridge in Rouen, (the one just south of the tunnel) is closed for the forseeable future. Most sat navs will send you this way, and I know from recent travels that it is causing major problems.

Apparently the bridge was damaged by a fire earlier in the year and that damage has now been discovered to be so extensive that no reopening date can currently be given. MidSummer at the earliest is the latest local quote.

If you know anybody travelling to France in the near future or going to the 24 Hours at Le Mans, motorhome owner or otherwise this info could save them a great deal of time as this is on the main route to/from Calais.

The repair bill is estimated at 8 million euros !!

Hope this saves you some travel time or assists in some way, safe miles to all wherever your travels take you this Summer

Brisey.

• Like Like x 7
  2. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

We passed through Rouen on the way back from Morocco and were very disconcerted at the blanking out of the Calais signs. We continued however and was eventually led to the diversionary route across the river. The traffic was horrendous of course but stick with it, you will soon recognize that you are on the right road.

3. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

JJ didn't tell me which way he wanted to go to get to the UK this summer but just in case I'll write it down!

And look for some infos on which is the best way to avoid the problem!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

4. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

looks like the best (easiest) route will be (from calais) a28, a29, a151, a150, n1338, then onto a138 and out towards le mans.

if you went to roune on the a28 into the tunnel and turned right along the northen bank (d8015) are there hight restricted tunnels? Ive never taken that route befor but Ive been told there are motorhome traps.

what a time to be leading a convoy of newbies arcoss:Doh:

5. Sidney

Sidney Funster

[​IMG]

Yes I need to find a solution for Le Mans - getting through Rouen is bad enough on a normal day :Sad:

6. ukbill

ukbill Funster

sod it im off down that way tomorrow not sure which route now whatever happens i aint gonna go the paris way :Smile:

7. N&K

N&K

wow , i didn't know concrete could burn, look at the video on YouTube :Eek!:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6zgZKKDg7s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6zgZKKDg7s[/ame]

[​IMG]

8. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

As I understand the situation, the diversion is now well established, it is signed and posses no problems. We are going that way in two weeks.

9. Burstner Boy

Burstner Boy Read Only Funster

Rouen Bridge Closure

Hi All

Don't worry guys, we also have a house down in the Charante and go that way 5 or 6 times a year (last time at Easter), if you just patiently follow the diversion signs around Rouen (either way) it will in our experience be ok. I must admit I can't say this for most of the signing of diversions in France! Once did an extensive tour of Paris following diversion signs or not as was the case.

10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I did it on the way to Spain a few weeks ago. You get to the closed tunnel and just follow the green signs to Evereux.

We didnt get held up at all.

11. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Rouen

Its also their tall ships Armada this week so avoid like the plague, unless of course you like ships and traffic jams:Smile:

12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i dont think there is a plural for diversion signs in france its usually just the one

13. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i should get there around midnight so no traffic i hope

14. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

When we went down to Spain in December we entered Rouen from the tunnel and turned right when we came to the main junction. We stayed in the right hand lane along the river and found a way across on another bridge. The traffic was a nightmare at the time.On our return we followed the HGV diversion and although a bit longer and a small toll it was easier.