Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
We are at Innsbruck at the moment and will travel down to Verona on Tuesday. I guess that we have to go through the Brenner, can somebody put me right please as to what toll if any we have to pay and if so what/where. In other words..........Help

Oh, I am 3.5 ton and have bought the vignette thingy .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you've bought the vignette you're fine, that's all you need.

There's no separate specific toll for the pass.

I can't remember if there are any toll stretches of motorway in Italy on that route. If there are then the system is the same as France with booths and tickets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We're at 3500kg.
I know there's some tolls from Innsbruck to Verona but don't recall them being expensive...
Traffic might well be heavy though !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thought it was free? Anyone?

The vignette or GoBox depending on weight covers all motorways in Austria including the Brenner Pass.

The pass is part of the toll system as soon as you cross the border so if you're coming from Italy you need to make sure you stop and buy the vignette or GoBox from a motorway services before you get there.

I seem to remember a thread recently where someone crossed it but didn't stop to buy a vignette until they were 20 or 30 km into Austria. They sold him one and also fined him for driving the 20 or 30 km without one.

There is a way of crossing it toll free not using the motorway but I'm not sure what it is.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Some sites saying you need the vignette and pay a further €8 toll for the pass?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I guess that I will have plenty of steep up hill and lots of downhill from Innsbruck.

We got stuck behind a bloody vintage tractor rally going up one mountain somewhere near there.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
"as well as the Brenner Autobahn—a toll should be paid which is collected at time of use via toll plazas and therefore drivers do not need to have a vignette to use these Autobahns."

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If you take the 182 south from innsbruck you can go to top of brenner pass avoiding motorway on austrian side. Its a bit bendy on lower slopes but ok. Its toll and vignette and go box free, or was a couple of years ago.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
If you go the Brenner pass duel carriageway there is a tole on the first big bridge not far out of Innsbruck.
Once into Italy there are ticket booths where you collect a ticket and you pay where you leave motorway charge depends on which point you leave

Deleted User
The vignette or GoBox depending on weight covers all motorways in Austria including the Brenner Pass.

There is a way of crossing it toll free not using the motorway but I'm not sure what it is.

Good heavens!!!!:)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Use the 182 to avoid the Austrian toll, the Brenner pass toll is quite steep and you really should have a go box as you are 3500 and rejoin the motorway on the Italian side.

Real easy drive, did it a couple of days ago.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Use the 182 to avoid the Austrian toll, the Brenner pass toll is quite steep and you really should have a go box as you are 3500 and rejoin the motorway on the Italian side.

Real easy drive, did it a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the info, I have looked at lots of information on the GO box and they all say that you need it if you are over 3.5 ton. The regs seem to say, private car rate up to and including 3.5.

As I really don't know I understand if someone can correct me.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
A few years ago we stayed at Nattersee on our way to Lake Garda, my original plan was to use the old road instead of the motorway until a local told me I'd waste more in fuel than I'd pay on tolls. If I correct we paid just ove 10 euros in Austria and around 7 in Italy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I used the Brenna pass last September ordinary single carriageway no toll not motorway.
Sorry don't understand why people are saying its a toll road. We approach via the Fern pass from Fission again all free.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I used the Brenna pass last September ordinary single carriageway no toll not motorway.
Sorry don't understand why people are saying its a toll road. We approach via the Fern pass from Fission again all free.
As I said in my post we had originally planned on taking the old road until a local advised us to go the Autobahn, so unless things have changed in the past 4 or 5 years then they'res definitely a motorway and 2 tolls. If you check the road we used was the A13

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Ok, left Innsbruck, €2 to join motorway, €9 toll for Brenner, then on Italian side take ticket for toll. We traveled as far as Rovereto and the toll was €12.40 so total of €23.40.

I think we must have saved fuel as it seemed to be downhill all the way from Austria to Rovereto. :)

We are 3.5 ton.

Hope that helps:)(y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Ok, left Innsbruck, €2 to join motorway, €9 toll for Brenner, then on Italian side take ticket for toll. We traveled as far as Rovereto and the toll was €12.40 so total of €23.40.

I think we must have saved fuel as it seemed to be downhill all the way from Austria to Rovereto. :)

We are 3.5 ton.

Hope that helps:)(y)

Very similar to our experience and the price has just slightly increased.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back