Free Member
May 18, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Since 2008
I am sure someone on here will know the answer to this, do you need to carry breathalysers in France, I am sure I read somewhere that the French government had put a stop to it saying it was unenforceable. :helpsos:

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL YOU FUNSTERS :Smile:::bigsmile::roflmto:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, Carry 2, so if you get stopped and need to use one, you still have one left.

Also, get them designed for France, so the measure of alcohol per litre of blood is correct, as is different from UK.

Got mine from amazon, about £10, but just to save any problems,

Sue :wine:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Currently the official date when fines can be issued is March 1st 2013 it may well be deferred again by that time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Buy in France

Hi, Carry 2, so if you get stopped and need to use one, you still have one left.

Also, get them designed for France, so the measure of alcohol per litre of blood is correct, as is different from UK.

They aren't yet enforced, good idea to have though.
Don't buy in UK, they cost soewhat under 2Euro in most French supermarkets

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... and in bar-tabacs ...

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Short shelf life

There is really no point in buying the French breathalisers before the law is enforced, if it ever will be, as they have quite a short shelf life.

I bought some earlier this year, totally unnecessarily as it turned out as the enforcement date was put back and they expire mid 2013:Angry:.

Next time I will not buy any more until the law has been confirmed and then make sure I don't get palmed off with old shelf stock.

P.S. Sue, you was robbed at that price

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Just a point if you get stopped before you have a chance to buy in France you will have none, I got two of EBay cost about £4 delivered, we will be coming up from Spain next year so got them here. Pete :thumb:

up4it

Free Member
Sep 7, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
February 2011
Breathalysers

€1.10 in France good for two years, £5.99 for two on Boats when I last looked (no postage), been stop twice this year and not asked for them, wait till the law that may come in or buy in France I would not pay UK price.
How many of you on here were stop in France this year ?.
Gus

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Sue ...you don't need 2 "so if you get stopped and need to use one you still have one left" as you are controlled by police's breathalizer. The one you have to carry in the car is one to test you BEFORE you drive. So if you think you are going to drive , then drink then drive then drink then drive then drink then drive ....you 'll need 3 . The many more times you drink and know you're going to drive the many more breathalizers you must carry.
On the other hand ... there is so few breathalizers left that the french governement had to delay the fining. We'll see in March if governement decide to give an end to this law. No need to panic .... police can't do anything!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
€1.10 in France good for two years, £5.99 for two on Boats when I last looked (no postage), been stop twice this year and not asked for them, wait till the law that may come in or buy in France I would not pay UK price.
How many of you on here were stop in France this year ?.
Gus

I went to France for 1st time this year in Motorhome. Tell me, what do the Police look like??
Do they stop all, random or what/why?
What are they checking?
Am I lucky as I never get stopped in UK either and did 30k miles p.a.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I went to France for 1st time this year in Motorhome. Tell me, what do the Police look like??
Do they stop all, random or what/why?
What are they checking?
Am I lucky as I never get stopped in UK either and did 30k miles p.a.

depends if you are motorway or not i think its green for off motorway and blue on uniforms that is i have seen a few only unlike here they are scarce

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Have been traveling in France for over 40 years and have never been stopped by the Police once...am I just lucky?:thumb:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We were stopped just after lunchtime by gendarmes soon after moving to France (driving a UK-reg car) and I was breathalysed (no, I had not indulged at lunch!). Random stops are not unusual here, and with the lower limit it is not worth risking it.

Incidentally, whilst the law on carrying breathalysers may be scrapped, if you do buy them they must be marked NF - they would not be legal without this.

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Wat do thay cost peanuts less than £10 just get some and take them then their is no problems just get NF ones and thay will be Their if you need them:thumb:

Bee

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Yes you do need breathalisers in France and you should carry two it is still underdiscussion about date but we are told living in france we must carry them Hope that helps

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You won't be stopped just to check you have one and if you don't have one you'll just be told you need to get some until March and then you might be charged €11 say £9 so I wouldn't bother and they might be scrapped by then anyway

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We bought a 4-pack off Ebay.:roflmto:

I thought it a good idea to test one!

So I had a skinfull and yes, it worked! The crystals turned a nice dark green!

Gonna try one out on Champers at Val Thorens to see if they are man enough to take Kath's breath after a sesh!!:thumb:

Merry (and a safe) Christmas all!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Sue ...you don't need 2 "so if you get stopped and need to use one you still have one left" as you are controlled by police's breathalizer. The one you have to carry in the car is one to test you BEFORE you drive. So if you think you are going to drive , then drink then drive then drink then drive then drink then drive ....you 'll need 3 . The many more times you drink and know you're going to drive the many more breathalizers you must carry.
On the other hand ... there is so few breathalizers left that the french governement had to delay the fining. We'll see in March if governement decide to give an end to this law. No need to panic .... police can't do anything!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

So if I only have 1 , get mashed, try it out, but then keep it in the van and just say I used it this morning I should be ok?

Have been traveling in France for over 40 years and have never been stopped by the Police once...am I just lucky?:thumb:

22. Years of travel in France sometimes twice per year, 1 stop to tell me the mountain road was closed some 20 years ago, flashed 2 speed cameras, however I have personally witnessed plenty of others being stopped.

We bought a 4-pack off Ebay.:roflmto:

I thought it a good idea to test one!

So I had a skinfull and yes, it worked! The crystals turned a nice dark green!

Gonna try one out on Champers at Val Thorens to see if they are man enough to take Kath's breath after a sesh!!:thumb:

Merry (and a safe) Christmas all!

You are joking? Getting Kath or John to blow in one of those things could cause an apocalypse, them crystals could have a nuclear reaction.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
breathalysers

Take them, already said but the French police have 2 sets of rules, one for French, and one for foreigners. I was in a queue of traffic, we all got stopped for speeding, locals were allowed to drive off, we and some other Brits had to pay on the spot fines. Dont give them an excuse.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I am not 100% sure but i think you only pay a deposit against not turning up at court.
If you are British but had a Frence address you whould also not pay on the spot.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
If you break the law in France you'll get done - doesn't matter whether you're British, French or from Timbuktoo

:winky:

they are impartial and employed to uphold the law which is what they do.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back