Breakdown services for 3.5tons +

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Sid52, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

Any recommendations please on breakdown and recovery services for 3.5t + motorhomes? I've looked at the c+cc whose Carefree service is provided by the RAC, but is limited to 3.5t, even though the photos show a tag axle that would certainly not be covered. The cc';s Mayday service however says no weight or length restrictions, and looks good value at £66.

So what does everyone use of UK and European cover?

2. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

Part of our safeguard insurance includes breakdown for UK and Europe through the AA. This includes motorhomes above 3.5kgs but there are a couple of exclusions such as vehicle hire if you breakdown. nothing that important. The guy at safeguard told me to expect to wait longer if you need recovery as they need to get a bigger low loader to transport you. otherwise all looks ideal and good value although I haven't had to use it yet.

3. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

Coincidentally I had a quote from Safeguard yesterday, and as you say it does include AA cover.

I have just looked at the CC Red Pennnant breakdown insurance and vehicles up to 3.85t and 24ft length are covered as standard, but larger ones can be covered by special arrangement

4. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Green flag covers our tag axle and all our other vehicles including my motorbike :thumb:

5. Sid52

Sid52 Funster

That's who the CC use for their UK cover. Green Flag do seem to be good value compared to the RAC whom I have been with for ages. However I can't fault the quality and speed of their response.

6. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

RAC cover my TAG as part of my membership of the C&CC my RAC card has the C&CC logo imprinted in the corner. I also have ADAC for Europe.

7. Larby

Larby Funster

I have Comfort. They offered cover and mine is 3.5+.
    I queried if covered and was told if we insure the vehicle for the road we cover it for breakdown irrespective.
    Have you tried your Insurance company?
    That's what I did the first year as trying to get separate cover was difficult at 3.5+ tonnes.

8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Caravanguard every time !!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

9. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I had Safeguard for years and they include European cover. All my vans have been over 3.5t and average 7.5 mtr long.. Had go use them in Spain and Germany, no issues..

This year moved to MHF (wink) same as comfort and underwritten by Aviva. Also includes European breakdown but has additional cover for us as we went to Morocco..

ADAC seems a popular choice for seperate breakdown cover..

10. lorger

lorger Funster

Just renewed my insurance yesterday with safegaurd and as above breakdown included my van is 3.850

11. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We used to use Green Flag when we had our '86 MB608 (6.5t), when in UK. Used them twice, once for a jump-start and once to tow us out of a narrow welsh lane when the clutch pipe sprung a leak ... no complaints. But UK only.

Now belong to Adac - Europe-wide cover (= mainland AND off-lying islands + all countries bordering the Med...) which, for 79euros, covers us in any vehicle we happen to be travelling in at the time.

If I'd known about Adac sooner I would have used them before - can't see the point in paying for 2 separate covers when wanting to cross the channel.

12. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

I've got C&CC Arrival through the RAC and it definitely covers > 3.5t, as they've actually towed my 5 tonne 1978 RV.

13. FM02MZO

FM02MZO Funster

The Caravan Club's Mayday whilst in the UK and their Red Pennant whilst in Europe

14. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

One thing I would advise checking when breakdown comes with insurance - goes for your cars too - check that it is FULL recovery. Most policies only come with entry level (nearest garage within 10 miles)

I have seen many get stung with £2.50 a mile after that. If it is basic, you can call them and upgrade it to full. Make sure you have repatriation, hotel rooms etc.

15. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

ADAC

Been with ADAC for a couple of years now, great cover, great price... They use AA in the uk..
    . Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steevie

steevie Funster

RAC arrival with the C+CC club has to be the best value. It costs £41 for club membership, and then £82 for cover. The benefits.....any size motorhome including RVs, and recovery on to your holiday destination, then also recovery home after wards. Plus the main thing, it covers you for travelling in any vehicle, whether its yours or not, which saved me hundreds on my other vehicles for recovery, and after joining, you get a £15 club voucher. Then, you can also have another family member on it for the same cover, for £40. How could it get better for the money.