breakdown insurance for oldies ? (1 Viewer)

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
can anyone reccomend any breakdown insurance suppliers for a 1982 vw type 25 campervan ? i am in the rac for everyday cover (covers any vehicle i am in ) in the uk but they dont seem to want to know for covering it abroad for 3 weeks in july !. i took out an additional 12 month policy for the van last year through eta (via just kampers) this included european cover for £75 . i have just had the renewal £195!! coupled with the cost of my rac policy its getting a bit pricey!. as the age of the van appears to be the stumbling block ,i presume owners of older hymers etc must have come up against the same problem, who do you use ? thanks for reading.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
If you are over 50:Smile: try SAGA any size any age http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/motorhome-insurance/

Dave

Unfortunately SGA may insure any size any age but they do have restrictions on cost. I have been obtaining quotes ready for my renewal in July. SAGA went through all the protocols and then at the end said that they could not quote me as my van was too expensive (£70K :Doh:). They said that they would go back to the insurer and get back to me, I am still waiting ............:Blush:

Caravan Guard provided the cheapest quote for very comprehensive cover including UK & European Breakdown (At Home, Roadside and Recovery).

Safeguard, who I have been insured with for many years have unfortunately priced themselves out of the running coming in at £180 over the Caravan Guard quote.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Unfortunately SGA may insure any size any age but they do have restrictions on cost. I have been obtaining quotes ready for my renewal in July. SAGA went through all the protocols and then at the end said that they could not quote me as my van was too expensive (£70K :Doh:). They said that they would go back to the insurer and get back to me, I am still waiting ............:Blush:

Caravan Guard provided the cheapest quote for very comprehensive cover including UK & European Breakdown (At Home, Roadside and Recovery).

Safeguard, who I have been insured with for many years have unfortunately priced themselves out of the running coming in at £180 over the Caravan Guard quote.

I don't think a 1982 vw type 25 campervan is going to be £70k.

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
ADAC , the German "AA" will cover you and your partner for about 98 Euros.

Note it covers you, not any specific vehicle, so if whatever you, (or your partner) are driving breaks down you are covered. Anytime, anywhere, get you home, hotels, home start, the lot.

There are a lot of free extras as well.

Of course it is for unlimited travel anywhere.

British "Clubs" (or should that be profit making company?) take note.

You can phone them on their main number and ask for an English speaker and they will usually talk to you in English or pass you over.

Have a look at the website and use Google Translate to read it all.

Hallii

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
thanks for the replies guys . whilst i always expected to pay a premium for my vehicle being 28 years old (though probably less prone to breaking down than the newer more complecated stuff anyway !) what has surprised me ,is that when searching on the comparison websites, the age limit for cover seems to be 15 years old ! so my initial thoughts that this problem might tend to predominately only effect older 80s hymers etc was a bit off the mark! it seems that anyone with a vehicle older than 1995 is in the same boat !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H

happytraveller123

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Funster No
by the way i tried saga but they only do annual policies and they told me they will not cover any vehicles over 19 years old for european use ! i dont know if this is a new thing or wether it is just because i dont have my actual vehicle insurance with them ! it seems that more and more companies only want to provide breakdown cover as part of a package, especially in the case of old vw"s etc !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back