Breakdown cover

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Skempy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Skempy

Skempy Read Only Funster

We have just bought our first motorhome and am wanting some breakdown cover. Can anyone recommend a company to go with? Will just be travelling in the UK. Thanks in advance

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we really like the cover offered by RAC and we got the best deal by joining C + CC which we were going to do anyway

our MH is 5 tons and some will not cover this weight, but this option covers us fully with European cover

sorry cant recall what we paid

3. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

would be good of you added what motorhome you have bpught so peope
    le can advise better.
    my biggest advice is dont do without it

4. steevie

steevie Funster

best bit about the rac/CCC recovery is that it will take you on to have your holiday, and then recover you home. My mate needed it last year, and it all worked out fine. Plus, it is you that is covered, in any vehicle you travel in, up to any weight or length. How could it be better. £42 CCC charge, which you get a £25 voucher back[which you can even use for next years subs], and then £82 for the the recovery part.

5. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

It comes 'free' with Safeguard insurance

• Like Like x 1
  6. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Safeguard insurance offers it free ...oopps sorry b.b. notice you have already said that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bertie Bassett

Nothing wrong with 'stereo' postings Roy!(y)

8. kcy

kcy Funster

What about abroad?

9. Bertie Bassett

If that's a question about Safeguard souix, cover is Europe wide. If not I'll hush my mouth!:censored:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I concur ,Europe wide according to my policy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I too have it with my Safeguard insurance. It is actually organised by the AA.

12. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

but with the "free" cover that comes with safeguard insurance are there any weight / length age of vehicle restrictions. I use Green Flag / Mayday via the caravan club , no weight or size restrictions cost this year for me is £68 for roadside assistance and recovery plus duel recovery for booked holidays etc

13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Yes mine covers any weight and length. Cover abroad slightly different above 3500kg and/or more than 7m long, but still covered. Don't know about age - I suspect the only way you will find out is if you try to get a quote from them.

14. busby

busby Funster

I think Safeguard FREE breakdown only covers UK...they asked me well over £100 for overseas BREAKDOWN......ADAC for Europe and N Africa...excellent service....BUSBY:):)

15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Mine included UK and European breakdown in the base price from memory. Does not cover North Africa though

16. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

No the cover I have from safeguard is inc european breakdown upto 7mtr and 3.5t. I have their comprehensive cover which also covers homestart etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. busby

busby Funster

I think you must have payed extra for your European Breakdown...just checked my policy...only covers uk for Breakdown. If i remember correctly when i took policy out European Breakdown was an extra £160 odd so i declined.. My premium is £305 per annum...it was a bit cheaper until i removed my very faulty alarm and immobiliser ....BUSBY:):)

18. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

My premium was £401 fully comp. So yes looks like I paid a bit more for it .

19. Bertie Bassett

All true Roy. My total premium this year was £228.71 but I've only got a Rhythm PVC and I live in the wilds of Wales! So I think the add on cover is very good value for money!

• Like Like x 1
  20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Busby, I have a 7.23m long x 3.5t Coachbuilt and my premium from Safeguard, including the European cover, was £312. It is underwritten by Allianz. As far as I can remember they did not have an option to not have the European breakdown; they certainly did not quote me for it.

Comfort (and AIB) quoted me £346 for the same cover (RAC breakdown rather than AA), although they were willing to quote cheaper (about £60 less from memory) for UK only breakdown. Their's was underwritten by Aviva.

I saved a fortune by shopping around - Saga who I used for the first year of insurance, wanted £700 for the same cover in the second year (and I had made no claims) and would not budge when I told them they were too expensive.

Of course it is very difficult to compare what I pay with what anybody else would pay because so much depends on your postcode, where you keep the motorhome, and what motorhome it is. To help though I told them that I kept it on my drive, had an alarm (but did not know what category it was) and had reversing camera and sensors.

• Like Like x 1