Breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Sorry if this thread has been through the system umpteen times ! but can anyone recommend breakdown cover (not related to insurance) for the UK and Europe at a reasonable price.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Sorry if this thread has been through the system umpteen times ! but can anyone recommend breakdown cover (not related to insurance) for the UK and Europe at a reasonable price.

The problems with recommending this kind of thing is that the policies and prices are always being changed to screw the last couple of pounds out of you, what's good now may not be when you call them.

Doug...

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Beakdown cover

If you have C&CC membership, RAC Arrival is worth a look for uk and EU cover.

ADAC www.adac.de also provide UK and EU cover (provided by AA in UK, I think) They have english speaking operators at the call centre. Currently there charges and less than RAC, but I think one policy covers one vehicle with adac, were as with the rac the member is covered whichever vehicle is being driven. Worth investigating, I intend to investigate ADAC when my current RAC cover expires.

I also saw on www.moneyexpert.com a policy which provided cover at a very low rate, but I think the member had to pay the recovery company, and claim back. can't say if the EU was covered.

Hope this helps:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

ADAC www.adac.de also provide UK and EU cover (provided by AA in UK, I think) They have english speaking operators at the call centre. Currently there charges and less than RAC, but I think one policy covers one vehicle with adac, were as with the rac the member is covered whichever vehicle is being driven. Worth investigating, I intend to investigate ADAC when my current RAC cover expires.

I also saw on www.moneyexpert.com a policy which provided cover at a very low rate, but I think the member had to pay the recovery company, and claim back. can't say if the EU was covered.

From the ADAC Handbook for ADAC Plus membership;

The ADACPlus member and his (marriage) partner’s vehicles are all protected. Both drivers are also protected in third party vehicles. The beginning and end of the insurance cover are as covered under the terms of the ADACPlus membership.
::bigsmile:riving2:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
From the ADAC Handbook for ADAC Plus membership;

The ADACPlus member and his (marriage) partner’s vehicles are all protected. Both drivers are also protected in third party vehicles. The beginning and end of the insurance cover are as covered under the terms of the ADACPlus membership.
::bigsmile:riving2:
Yep we have been with ADAC for last three years and I agree with the above. Thankfully never had to use them so cannot comment on how good they are.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Callumwa & Laneside

Thanks for that, I'm evan more interested in joining ADAC now.

From members who have used them, one in UK had a short wait, about 30 minutes, and the AA arrived, and I read one account which was over the water, and expecting to be recovered, the engineer was able to effect a repair, which enabled them to continue there journey back to UK.

But until we use them in ernist, we will never know, except the RAC kept us waiting over three hours......never again

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Leaving aside the costs, I think that when it comes to breakdown and recovery we are in the lap of the gods in terms of just how efficient any company is. Its all down to how things are on the day.

Most breakdown and recovery oganisations employ contractors and the efficiency of these contractors can vary big time.

For every person who has had a bad time with any given company there will be two who have had great service.

I remember that at one time the AA was the working mans motoring organisation with the RAC being for the better off. Then over a period of time the AA became very expensive with the RAC being a lot cheaper and more efficient. So, things do change.

Have you had a look at the Green Flag breakdown and recovery scheme. Ive never looked at it but it may be ok.

Just because I'm being nosey. Why do you want it independent of an Insurance Company.

Jim
:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I have been on the blower today regarding this as our current provider has suddenly decided that they no longer do motor homes........but they have the Caravan Club, and apparently that is different!

Red Pennant (cc) will give you full cover with liability and camping card for £166/year.

Green flag full euro cover £187.24

Red Pennant does seem like good cover, and lashes on the extras. I would like to see where I stand regarding ADAC...if i could find a translator! lol!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Yes I would recommend the ADAC cover

We get full cover under our insurance with Safeguard.. Need to e sure you have proper cover.. Especially when you have an American RV.. But we thought it still had a few minor areas where we think it could be improved and we consulted this site and the sister site RVOC.. We came across recommendations for the German ADAC... It has 17 million members.. It is covered in the UK by the AA.. You can even get an extension in the USA.. It is not just a vehicle recovery policy, it covers you for lots of other things..list to long.. But well worth investigating.. Search on this site for ADAC and you might be surprised... It is not that expensive.. And you can by credit or debt card... You have to call Frankfurt and pay by telephone to the Munich office or post it... I had my membership card in 15 days as promised and then paid by phone.. You can give them a start date at the start of any month.. As the policy starts on the 1st of a month.

Great value, and have no problems with motorhomes.

Bob:thumb:

The policy covers you not the vehicle and also all the family, so it covers camper or car... Including bringing the kids home or the dog.. Massive cover included.. Lost keys replacement, spare parts flown out, air ambulance.. Etc

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Leaving aside the costs, I think that when it comes to breakdown and recovery we are in the lap of the gods in terms of just how efficient any company is. Its all down to how things are on the day.

Most breakdown and recovery oganisations employ contractors and the efficiency of these contractors can vary big time.

For every person who has had a bad time with any given company there will be two who have had great service.

I remember that at one time the AA was the working mans motoring organisation with the RAC being for the better off. Then over a period of time the AA became very expensive with the RAC being a lot cheaper and more efficient. So, things do change.

Have you had a look at the Green Flag breakdown and recovery scheme. Ive never looked at it but it may be ok.

Just because I'm being nosey. Why do you want it independent of an Insurance Company.

Jim

Not all Insurance Companies offer breakdown cover, particularly euro cover, and the amount those who do actually charge, varies greatly. My previous insurance was £380 including full UK and European Cover Breakdown.
I changed companies and got my insurance for £212, but their Euro breakdown cover was very expensive and had limitations. So I got my breakdown cover seperately and was still almost £100 better off. :thumb::thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
The policy covers you not the vehicle and also all the family, so it covers camper or car... Including bringing the kids home or the dog.. Massive cover included.. Lost keys replacement, spare parts flown out, air ambulance.. Etc

Thanks Bob,

So ADAC are equal to RAC on vehicle cover, and better with the air ambulance, and the charges I saw recently are therefore impressive.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
They cover a lot more than the RAC

Thanks Bob,

So ADAC are equal to RAC on vehicle cover, and better with the air ambulance, and the charges I saw recently are therefore impressive.:thumb:

I wanted ADAC as I have a twin wheeled American RV at 5.5 tons and using a wheelchair my present cover via Safeguard des not change wheels ..but ADAC does.. Both safeguard and ADAC use the AA... In the UK and appoint others in Europe (safeguard) ADAC normally cover there own breakdowns with there massive fleet or if recovery call out a truck to suit.

It is a lot more comprehensive cover than you get with most companies.. I took out safeguard as I needed the size.. Over 3.5 tons with unlimited recovery from Europe.. A lot restrict the amount of £ they will cover but safeguard do not except for some stranger reason under 3.5 tons!!! The ADAC gives me the tyre change, covers just over €1000 to underwrite repairs (repayable) .. Parts flown out, key replacement.. Tow out of mud in a field, the list is endless.. Need to look at the terms and condition that someone has placed on one of the posts on this site..

For the money for a family cover I doubt for a motorhome and general car cover.. As it covers the driver you will get cheaper or better.. Certainly not for European cover. It is a breakdown and travel insurance rolled in to one.. And yes the operators speak first class English and the breakdown number fr the UK is an 0800 .. Numbers for all of Europe and places around the med.. Also they provide a translation service if needed for local breakdowns. Have a look.

Bob:Eeek:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I just purchased Breakdown cover from Britannia Rescue. Covers the motorhome throughout Europe including a driver if I cannot drive for whatever reason. Recovery and repatriation after an accident is also included as are travel expenses and acomodation costs. Importantly there are no restriction on motorhome size or weight. (up to 7.5 ton)

The same level of cover also applied in the UK for your car.

The cover is for the person and not just the vehicle so whatever vehicle a member is travelling in they would be covered.

All in £165 for the year which I thought was not bad.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We used Greenflag when we went to France last year and the car broke down (best £30.00 I ever spent!!!). I have to say I cannot fault the service, they collected the broken down car within 40 mins of making the call, put us in a taxi back to our accomodation (100 euros!!!) then arranged for a hire car to be delivered the next morning so we could continue with our holiday. We couldnt take the french hire car across the channel and booked with sea france who dont allow foot passengers so they rebooked our ferry, refunded us our money and had another hire car waiting for us in Dover.

The car was returned from France 5 days after we got home and the whole thing ran like clockwork. It takes a lot to impress me but after the service I got its Greenflag every time for me!!:thumb::thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
How much!!!!!!!

I just purchased Breakdown cover from Britannia Rescue. Covers the motorhome throughout Europe including a driver if I cannot drive for whatever reason. Recovery and repatriation after an accident is also included as are travel expenses and acomodation costs. Importantly there are no restriction on motorhome size or weight. (up to 7.5 ton)

The same level of cover also applied in the UK for your car.

The cover is for the person and not just the vehicle so whatever vehicle a member is travelling in they would be covered.

All in £165 for the year which I thought was not bad.

How much!!!!!!!!! Boy you must be rich .. £75 cheaper with ADAC... And more cover... Always read the conditions.. Often you will find the recovery off a French motorway or other roads can only be carried out by authorised recovery companies. The policy often limits the sum paid for that tow off... Which is designed for a car, not a motorhome.. Read the small print:whatthe:

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You may find it a bit different with an RV

We used Greenflag when we went to France last year and the car broke down (best £30.00 I ever spent!!!). I have to say I cannot fault the service, they collected the broken down car within 40 mins of making the call, put us in a taxi back to our accomodation (100 euros!!!) then arranged for a hire car to be delivered the next morning so we could continue with our holiday. We couldnt take the french hire car across the channel and booked with sea france who dont allow foot passengers so they rebooked our ferry, refunded us our money and had another hire car waiting for us in Dover.

The car was returned from France 5 days after we got home and the whole thing ran like clockwork. It takes a lot to impress me but after the service I got its Greenflag every time for me!!:thumb::thumb:

Yes agree that was good... Try it with an American RV.... You will find it is a little more complicated.. Age of the RV also comes in to play, as well as size. As I have said in another post read the terms.. A lot is excluded for motorhomes.

Bob... P.s. Picking it up tomorrow if I recall? Have fun.:Eeek:

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No

Jim
Insured with Caravan Club which didn't appear to offer both UK and European breakdown. Have since been able to reinstate my Peugeot breakdown cover which covers Uk and Europe for £85.00 which I don't think is too bad.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Just seen IC who use Inter partner (axa) and quote for a motorhome £79 full Euro. There are some restrictions, such as only £30 a night accomodation or £500 a week - but other than that, seems cheap. There is this odd excess thing, but I think that is for lower levels of cover. But at £40, it would rather be that than spend £200 elsewhere.

Just wish ADAC covered vehicles policies as well as the person.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
ADAC

How much!!!!!!!!! Boy you must be rich .. £75 cheaper with ADAC... And more cover... Always read the conditions.. Often you will find the recovery off a French motorway or other roads can only be carried out by authorised recovery companies. The policy often limits the sum paid for that tow off... Which is designed for a car, not a motorhome.. Read the small print:whatthe:

Bob

Thanks BOB, but when I was searching I did see ADAC, I could not find a clause where they would provide a driver to bring the motorhome back to the UK or pay for a nominated drivr to bring it back. This was important to me so I ruled them out.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks BOB, but when I was searching I did see ADAC, I could not find a clause where they would provide a driver to bring the motorhome back to the UK or pay for a nominated drivr to bring it back. This was important to me so I ruled them out.

ADAC Handbook Sec 22;

Section 22 Vehicle recovery if driver is unfit to drive (within Europe)
1. During a trip in Europe with the protected vehicle, you or the driver can no longer drive the vehicle themselves, due to illness, injury or death and there is no passenger appropriate to the situation.
2. We take the vehicle with passengers, baggage and cargo back to your residence and cover the costs of our chosen driver.

Vehicle recovery, if driver is unfit to drive
Within Europe, ADAC will send an ADAC driver to chauffeur the vehicle, its
passengers and the luggage back to the place of residence. Expenses for the
driver will be covered. Make sure a doctor certifies that you are unfit to drive and,
if possible, call 3 days before the scheduled return journey. If in Germany, please
contact ADAC Munich on (0 89) 76 76 76, if abroad, the ADAC assistance centre
(telephone number see cover of the ADACPlus service booklet) or ADAC Munich.
Keep the telephone number of the attending physician ready.:thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
ADAC

ADAC Handbook Sec 22;

Section 22 Vehicle recovery if driver is unfit to drive (within Europe)
1. During a trip in Europe with the protected vehicle, you or the driver can no longer drive the vehicle themselves, due to illness, injury or death and there is no passenger appropriate to the situation.
2. We take the vehicle with passengers, baggage and cargo back to your residence and cover the costs of our chosen driver.

Vehicle recovery, if driver is unfit to drive
Within Europe, ADAC will send an ADAC driver to chauffeur the vehicle, its
passengers and the luggage back to the place of residence. Expenses for the
driver will be covered. Make sure a doctor certifies that you are unfit to drive and,
if possible, call 3 days before the scheduled return journey. If in Germany, please
contact ADAC Munich on (0 89) 76 76 76, if abroad, the ADAC assistance centre
(telephone number see cover of the ADACPlus service booklet) or ADAC Munich.
Keep the telephone number of the attending physician ready.:thumb:

Thanks for that, looks like I missed this and made an expensive mistake, ADAC next year!:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back