Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It's a little moan I'm afraid but maybe just me not been wise enough...
Was I expecting too much?
Set off with son in law for a short trip..
About 3 miles into journey we had a flat front tyre on A1
Pulled in and managed to inflate and get to a safer location...
Went for the spare tyre and found it had been nicked...
I've had insurance and breakdown with c&cc for the last 7 years...
I've had breakdown on every vehicle I've owned but never used it before..
Anyway they said they would recover but couldn't repair which I wasn't best pleased about and soon after that said they wouldn't attend as the vehicle should have a spare...
I explained again it had been nicked ,but their response was the same..
After a lengthy and sometimes heated discussion they said as an act of good will and once only they would recover the van to home ...
By then between been put on hold and them ringing back we had managed to get a mobile tyre fitter out, but I was dismayed that that was their response to my call for help...
Anybody any thoughts ,before I contact them on Monday and try and complain at their service..
Thanks... Andy

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Only that it'll probably fall on deaf ears my friend :(
Most probably right.. and I've never read the conditions tbh ,but just expected them to be able to help with an issue of a flat tyre...
I've read posts on here where people say they wouldn't attempt to sort that kind of problem themselves.... that's why they have beak down cover...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
when you say nicked, have you ever actually checked it was there from new?

awful, service though, I kind of see their point, but why not find you a solution of a new wheel and tyre at least,

they must have contacts for such things

Glad you are sorted though, now move on, don't let it piss you off any more than you are already :)(y)

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
when you say nicked, have you ever actually checked it was there from new?
I thought you knew me better than that lol...
I've owned my camper for 7 years and check the spare regularly...
Dropped it about 6 weeks back to clean the steel rim up which tends to get mucky been underslung... and checked the pressure at the same time...
Son in law has had it for the last month or so as I'm not allowed to drive atm.
So is it the case that if you get a flat you can't rely on your breakdown cover...?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just cancelled mine with RAC ARRIVALS.
Only took it out when we had the RV, 32ft and 7500kg.
Now we have a caravan I don't need the weight/length feature so going with GREEN FLAG.

RAC ARRIVALS = £110 + £44 C&CC to get it. (Also cancelled)
GREEN FLAG same cover without the length/weight feature = £61.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ahh i see.
The new one didn't come supplied with a spare so wonder how they would go on with that if you needed a tyre change...

Generally it is covered if it didn't come with a spare but best to check the small print.

Sorry they let you down when you needed them most......

We had the same when our car broke down, the breakdown service couldn't find anyone to recover it after 6pm as we "live in a remote area". A local farmer came to our rescue and the breakdown service collected it the following day and recovered it to the repair place. I was not impressed, just wondered what would have happened if I had been alone and stranded overnight.

We got a burst tyre many years ago when we were in France - which is when we discovered that the spare wheel was the wrong size. Luckily we were next to a tyre fitting place in Clemont-Ferrand home of Michelin!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I did recovery (1999-2003) and serviced all the major clubs as an independent the general rule from the club's was 'no or punctured spare, no help'
We often took the punctured wheel and driver to the nearest garage for repair.
No point driving 5/10/15 miles only to refuse service at the roadside.
And it usually resulted in a couple of quid tip.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What recovery service was it?
The document says ''club care motor breakdown service ''
I take it out with the c&cc insurance every year but guess I'll have to ask some specific questions when renewing with someone else perhaps...
Andy

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Generally it is covered if it didn't come with a spare but best to check the small print.
You would hope so...
From reading many posts on here over the years I got the impression a lot of people expected their breakdown to deal with flats... if they can do it for vehicles that don't come equipped with a spare surely they can provide the service for any vehicle if the need arise's. .. ie my spare was nicked :(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
From reading many posts on here over the years I got the impression a lot of people expected their breakdown to deal with flats... if they can do it for vehicles that don't come equipped with a spare surely they can provide the service for any vehicle if the need arise's. .. ie my spare was nicked :(

I agree with you Andy. Neither the Chausson or Jemima were provided with a spare but we bought and carry a tyre (no wheel). I'm hoping that as a spare wasn't provided in the original spec the breakdown service would attend and be able to fit the tyre (or arrange to have it fitted) if we told them we did have a tyre. I checked at last renewal and they said it would be okay but whether they would make good on that I hope i never have to find out.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Am assuming this is for M/H only, my son had a flat on his car last week and the AA turned up fitted a multi-fit spare and brought him home
The car had no spare just an inflation kit but the side wall had gone

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Seems to me your blaming the breakdown service for you not checking you had a spare that was in a serviceable condition. If you knew it had been stolen you must have known you had one . Well done the breakdown company for helping you out as a gesture of good will. Just another view on it.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Seems to me your blaming the breakdown service for you not checking you had a spare that was in a serviceable condition. If you knew it had been stolen you must have known you had one . Well done the breakdown company for helping you out as a gesture of good will. Just another view on it.
Tis a fact that I was disappointed in their response. ..
Admit to not knowing or looking into the conditions of my cover.... but as punctures are a fairly basic cause of a breakdown i took that as a common breakdown request for help.... and it's the first time in my life I've ever requested assistance,so yes I was disappointed. ..I've been with this company for 7 years ...
As for not checking my spare and it's condition... check my comments in a previous post.... I regularly remove and check it but for the last month or so the van wasn't in my possession. ..
I realised it had been stolen when I went to get it at time of breakdown... how often do you check the underside of a vehicle???
Andy.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not completely on topic I know, but as well as punctures, mis-fueling and lost keys can be an eye opener on some breakdown policies.

One thing I noticed by reading the small print the other day is that some of the breakdown companies have it written in their cover that you have to have the servicing done as per the manufacturers guidelines. This could mean that people who 'do their own' servicing could be invalidating their breakdown cover :eek:

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
but as well as punctures, mis-fueling and lost keys can be an eye opener on some breakdown policies.
It's getting silly ... how many things do we need to be aware of and questions to ask before we have the right cover or would we be better off just saving our breakdown premiums and paying as the need arises...?? I know been recovered from abroad would be expensive but seem to remember they charge extra if you van is over 10 yrs old ,that's if they will even cover you now...

This could mean that people who 'do their own' servicing could be invalidating their breakdown cover
That would be me as well lol... when it's out of warranty I do my own and reckon I exceed the the manufacturers recommend intervals...
World is just getting too complicated to have any sort of a life :LOL:
Thanks for the comments... some points to bear in mind when I call around for new breakdown cover...
Andy.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am set up and prepared to change a wheel at the side of the road (possibly not offside on the A1 though) hydraulic jacks big extension bar etc, but I also carry a plug kit for plugging screw and nail holes a garage in France used one on a tyre for us and I was sold on the idea.

I would have been a bit peeved as well though Andy.

Martin

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
but I also carry a plug kit for plugging screw and nail holes a garage in France used one on a tyre for us and I was sold on the idea.
That sounds like a good idea.. not ever come across that kit...
As it happens it wasn't a puncture but a split/ crack in the valve stem.
I got the tyre inflated (nearside front ) and got the van to a safer location before making the call...
As an aside I've equipped myself with spare wheel ,jack ,wheel chocks and extension bar for the chausson,which came with compressor and fluid... but on this occasion I was in my self build and believed I had a spare.:LOL:

It is quite simple. It is "breakdown cover " .
you break down, they do whatever is necessary at whatever time of day or night to fix it. If it needs a tyre place opened at 3 am on a Sunday morning that's what you are paying for.
That's what I obviously believed gus. .. mistakenly it would appear..
If they had even said we can arrange for a mobile fitter to come out but the cost of repair will be down to you I'd have been happy enough... we were fortunate that we were still local and the son in law had a few contacts and we got there eventually. .

Andy.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not completely on topic I know, but as well as punctures, mis-fueling and lost keys can be an eye opener on some breakdown policies.

One thing I noticed by reading the small print the other day is that some of the breakdown companies have it written in their cover that you have to have the servicing done as per the manufacturers guidelines. This could mean that people who 'do their own' servicing could be invalidating their breakdown cover :eek:

I wouldn't say so providing you follow the manufacturers guidelines, its immaterial who fits the parts and oil.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I wouldn't say so providing you follow the manufacturers guidelines, its immaterial who fits the parts and oil.

Sorry if I upset you @Silver-Fox , never my intention, feel free to edit my post if you like - oh you have already ;)

When I worked for Honda (many years ago) you HAD to have your servicing done by the manufacturer. The rules changed later so that Independent workshops could do the work so long as they were trained professionals and used original parts.

The Warranty booklet I received last month says the Fiat Dealership "or the workshop performing the work, completes and signs the service documents".

Good luck arguing your case for self-certification if the recovery firm decide the recovery is chargeable because of the lack of service evidence or skill.

I'm not arguing against DIY here, I was merely sharing what I read. There are no doubt Recovery firms out there that do not have that clause, but it's better to be aware of potential pitfalls than be surprised by them, which was what this thread was originally about. (y) :)

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well as was said is best to move on as life is too short but had to call and complain at the service I got the other day....
They agreed that under the circumstances (ie spare been nicked ) that they should have recovered me to somewhere that could have done the repair...
They agreed that to suggest they would recover me to home as an act of good will was out of order ... blaming the staff who handled the call... I pointed out it wasn't just him as he had me on hold on a few occasions while he got advice..

For all the good it is I got an apology. ..

But here's the frightening bit to me... you take out breakdown cover and get a flat... hardly an unusual event ... with club care breakdown they do not appear to have any mechanism in place to get that repaired at the scene or a place of safety close by other than to say they will recover you to a garage that will be able to do it... there won't be many garages open through the night I suspect..
I would have thought that any large breakdown provider would /should have access to 24/7 tyre fitting /repair services....
When I renew I'll be asking to see what the different providers have to say..
Andy

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
To be honest I'd be surprised if any of them are prepared to do a tyre repair. These days if you have a flat battery they try and flog you a new one! :eek:

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
To be honest I'd be surprised if any of them are prepared to do a tyre repair. These days if you have a flat battery they try and flog you a new one! :eek:
But I would have thought that they should have the means of moving you to safety if necessary and access to a mobile tyre fitter... who could sort you...
That's what I ended up doing..
Anyway I'll leave it at that ... moan over... promise :D

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
One more post with an update after my complaint to the breakdown company who I named earlier in the thread..
Got a phone call from them today..
They say they looked into my complaint and agreed that I should have been covered and they should have done more to help..
They offered £25 compensation ...
I've told them it cost me £30 for the mobile tyre fitter and I'd be happy with that..
They will get back to me on that..
It's not the money that's important but felt that after slagging them off I should at least report back on their response. ..
Andy..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back