Breakdown cover

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SteveG, Jan 22, 2015.

1. SteveG

SteveG Read Only Funster

anyone any views on breakdown cover, both here and for Europe? Are there any good deals out there?

2. lesr48

lesr48 Funster

We have personal cover attached to our Fiat 500 pop which covers us for any vehicle we happen to be in if it breaks down. This is through Green Flag and costs in the region of £60 per annum.

3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

I have been offered free UK recovery with my home contents from AA; seems good to me

• Like Like x 1
  4. meggie

meggie Funster

I just got green flag for £68 and had to join the caravan club at £45 but ny size and weight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

ADAC is the best possible cover for the money if you can get it. Covers both my wife and I in any vehicle we are in anywhere in Europe 365 days plus a number of health related benefits as well.
    114.5€ I think for the pair of us (about £87)

• Like Like x 7
  6. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

ADAC for us too, never had to use them yet though, fingers crossed.(subject to arthritis!)

• Like Like x 4
  7. stcyr

stcyr Funster

ADAC all the way ....

• Like Like x 2
  8. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Be careful on the free ones with your bank account and others. In the small print it will not recover over 3.5t

• Like Like x 1
  9. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I've heard good things about ADAC. Not joined as yet but they do speak English. I have had cover from other European providers in the past with two massive problems. Problem one mobile phone rates a few years ago cost a massive amount of money and you sit on hold for half an hour. Problem two, the person on the other end does not speak English.

For what it's worth I eventually solved my problem by tightening my earth lead.

• Like Like x 1
  10. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Green flag for me ,you need to read the package ,cost just over £100 ,Not got my policy to hand always leave it in the van but includes repatriation to your address from anywhere in Europe plus alternative transport if nec .You need to be careful if its cheap ,chances are some cover will be missing .Some companies only cover 1 month at a time and you need proof of your return ticket for the ferry ect .Be reminded a lot of insurance companies look first to see why they don't have to pay you as i know to my cost .

11. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

I agree entirely EXCEPT Nationwide have failed to update their website (which specifically excludes motorhomes and campervans). So I rang Britannia Rescue (who provide their service) to enquire how much an upgrade would cost, if it was possible. They replied that MHs to 7.5T, 8m were covered since September 2014.

I signed up with NW and when their documents arrived they were "excluding MHs etc". So I rang THEIR specific helpline and they said "we're just using up the old booklets: you are covered up to 7.5T, 8m".

I haven't had time to enquire about "duration in Europe" as our phone has been in constant use for the short time I've been here, but I should get through later today - Gordon

12. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

ADAC.. Phone :- 004994155673. It takes about 6 or 7 minutes to get through sometimes, but then it takes a couple of mins and its done..
    Get "plus" for 114 Euro's. Renewed mine yesterday..
    Good luck..

• Like Like x 3
  13. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

How many are at 7.5t and under 8m. I am 5000KG (tag) and at 8.7. I decided not to test the small print to much hassle when you need them. My insurance company include breakdown/recovery no restrictions on weight and length.(Caravan Guard)

14. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

All my dealings with ADAC have been extremely positive and I love the personal cover for any vehicle you drive. Shame that everything is in German - I may even enjoy the monthly magazine if I knew what it was about!

• Like Like x 5
  15. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We have it included with our MH insurance from CaravanGuard who assure me they use HGV recovery companies both here and in Europe. Hopefully I'll never find out.

Whatever company you use make sure that they know the weight of your MH and can recover it if required. There are some stories around that suggest a lot of them can't cope with anything over 3.5t

• Like Like x 1
  16. etap

etap

Our MH is covered for UK and Europe within our insurance with Motorhomefacts policy, the element of breakdown cover within the insurance is approx. £60.
    The ford engine service contract we have with Ford also covers us for all breakdowns within Europe and there is no extra charge for this. So we are covered twice which is odd but having spoken to MHfacts am advised that as long as we don't ring both ( which is not sensible anyway) it's fine, so we are keeping things as they are, however, we are selling our present MH through the CC site and if this happens we will have to sort out insurance all over again for the next one.

17. busby

busby Funster

ADAC,,,,used them twice in Spain...brillant. once for breakdown,, 50 mins from phone call to arrival of breakdown truck and i was up in the mountains. Used them to get an ambulance to take me to hospital when i knackered my knee. Again very quick response, BUSBY.:):)

• Like Like x 3
  18. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Just been trying to sort out breakdown cover for my MH. Length 7mtrs (7.6 with towbar bike rack on) Height 3.3 with top box (fixed) weight 3500kg. Tried green flag,, no go even if out of their size by .1 not accepted. RAC same. Looks like a call to ADAC tomorrow or open to suggestions.
    Robert

19. meggie

meggie Funster

I got green flag

20. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

does that cover european travel also meggie