Breakdown Cover Height Issues (1 Viewer)

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Hi,

We are new to this and trying to sort out insurance and breakdown cover for picking up our MH next Sunday. Think I have sorted the insurance now.

With regard to breakdown cover (we are going to france so need EU cover too) all the breakdown cover providers have a 3.0m height limit where they will provide cover.

The SeA Sharky L2 we are buying has 3.1m listed as the height (although this is the very top of the vent above the overcab bed).

Any suggestions for who will offer cover - or do we just take what we can get and hope they dont have a tape measure if we need them?

Thanks

Jen

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
RAC Arrival, which you get through the Camping & Caravan Club, doesn't even mention a height limit. It has no length, weight, width or age restrictions for motorhomes either - which is why I went with it, my MH was too heavy & long for most providers. You can have European cover from them.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
RAC Arrival, which you get through the Camping & Caravan Club, doesn't even mention a height limit. It has no length, weight, width or age restrictions for motorhomes either - which is why I went with it, my MH was too heavy & long for most providers. You can have European cover from them.

Broken Link Removed
Yeah we looked at that but the cost for a year (including EU cover ) is coming up at £312 per year. Seems an awful lot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I presume that's the full on version with most optional boxes ticked though - we didn't spend that much to get the essentials.

ADAC might be worth a look, it's the German equivalent of the AA.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We got our breakdown cover with the insurance from Motorhome Facts. We are also 3.1m high and no problem when we needed to be recovered at Easter.

Denise

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
part of the height thing is they need to know which breakdown trucks to come and get you . there are low bridges all over the place . its rather important its done right .
motorway bridges are normally at least 16ft .
since oct 97 if your vehicle is over 3metres high then you should have a indicator in the cab in plain view of the driver.
also in the eu not uk . there is a rule that 4metres is the height limit for vehicles .
its not as straight forward as most seem to think.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have AA cover including recovery with our SAGA insurance all for just over £300 and we also have ADAC as we took it out first and just keep up the yearly premium which is only about 80 euro, ADAC have a limit on height of 3.2 metres for recovery but we could squeeze into that bracket if I let down the rear air suspension and took off the sat dish (4 bolts) there is no limit with the AA as far as I know, our Flair is around 3.3 metres.

Martin

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

Broken Link Removed

arrivals do have an age limit for europe breakdown cover AFAIK

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Don't think so -slightly oddly their T&C's for the European cover state:-

Motorhomes over 11 years old are covered under

Arrival terms.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
our breakdown cover UK and Europe is with GEM. sorry cannot remember what we paid for it but it was very reasonable. includes personal cover, so covers the wife and I any vehicle ( great for the wife as she does not but is covered)

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Thanks everyone - have managed to sort something out.

Pleased to say Saga no good for us as we are too young!

Jen

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
RAC through Comfort, did not ask for a height on my 5 tonner

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Our Bessie was 3.05m high and we had a windscreen sticker (which we put on, done in indelible felt nib pen) on the same side as the steering wheel. However I happened to notice when we traded it in after 3 years - that the writing on it had faded so much you could no longer read it !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have size and weight on a card on the drivers sun visor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun