Breakdown cover abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by ritaderek, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ritaderek

ritaderek Read Only Funster

Hi thought I would share our experience of breaking down and repatriation by Call Assist, Address Call Assist Ltd Axis Court North Station Rd Colchester CO1 1UX. Had A wheel bearing go in Northern France after 8 weeks touring around Greece etc. Sanef (french breakdown service) took us to local fiat garage in Bologne at a cost of 476 euros. (Sunday so spent night on garage forecourt!) No part available til later in the week so Call Assist agreed to repatriate us later on the Monday (missed our ferry that am). They were extremely helpful throughout and kept in touch regularly. We and the motorhome were taken to a garage from where we were taxied to the ferry. Upgraded crossing club class with champagne and coffee etc to Dover where a hire car was waiting for us. Motorhome arrived at our local garage about a week and a half later. The expenses we incurred have been covered by Call Assist and I would recommend anyone to get a quote from them when renewing breakdown cover.:rollonfloor:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

Sounds like a great service :thumb:

I've had a look at their web site and I don't see cover for motorhomes, the car cover specifically states:

Cover excludes Caravanettes.

Call Assist

Do you have small commercial cover ?

Many thanks

Jim

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  3. ritaderek

ritaderek Read Only Funster

no its motorhome specific

4. scotjimland

Ok, thanks, I'll email for a quote

jim

5. scotjimland

reply to email from Call Assist , may be of use to someone

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

could be this paragraph from their webpage Jim.

Call Assist works with many companies providing a rescue service on their behalf either behind their brand or under the Call Assist Rescue brand.

could it be through ritadereks insurance i wonder ?

7. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

A wheel bearing unobtainable off the shelf.....not one anywhere in France without waiting a week???? :Eek!:

I suspect your mh is only a few years old?

More and more i'm reading things like this which quite frankly i find unacceptable. My camper is sixteen years old and last year the master cylinder packed up on me in Bavaria. The breakdown company dealt with everything. Low loader truck came out to pick up my van which was taken to the nearest Ford garage. I then took a taxi to an Hotel. Following morning the breakdown company phoned me to let me know the job had been done and i could collect my van and continue my journey.

All taxi fares and Hotel costs (including breakfast) were covered by the breakdown company, but more importantly the part was readily sourced and fitted within hours. I pay just £59 a year for my breakdown.

When purchasing any motorhome, RV or whatever, it pays to ensure that spares and parts are easily sourced and readily available in european countries.

8. nahnotme

nahnotme Read Only Funster

can I ask who this is with ? and are there any size and length of stay restrictions ?

9. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

When i was working in recovery, call assist/eeuropassist were one of the best for customer service - they got you home without arguments, whatever it took.

Some of the other main ones were a pain in the butt!

10. gillr49

gillr49 Read Only Funster

We have Call assist with our Sureterm Insurance. Reassuring to hear how good they are.
    :Smile:

11. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Is this the same as euroassistance.co.uk? They are £55 for a 42 day trip whereas the CC's Red Pennant is £135. Not sure what to do since we may well go on another trip later in the year.

Ivy