Breakdown cover abroad over 3.5 t (1 Viewer)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Mrs Vlad ,has just informed me that insurance companies can no longer offer free breakdown cover with their policies .We always used Comfort Insurance due to the fact it was included,we are due to go to France at the weekend and have no cover .
Who gives the best value package for a Mh over 3.5 t ?
It's not a monster just over at 3.8 t

Vlad

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've just dropped the RAC through the C&CC, and gone with opening a Nationwide Flexplus bank account.

£10 per month gets full European breakdown cover for MH up to 8m in length and 7.5t weight, no height or width restriction - plus any cars you've got - and it can be a joint account. Doesn't look like Motorbikes are covered though.

You get travel insurance as well, again joint cover + and dependent kids. Seems like a good deal.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's interesting as we have a policy with Safeguard who include recovery as standard - did Mrs Vlad say what the reason is?

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
That's interesting as we have a policy with Safeguard who include recovery as standard - did Mrs Vlad say what the reason is?
She's gone out for a bit but will get facts later,the just of it is that from April ish this year it cannot be given free with a policy it has to be sold ! As our policy has just been renewed Comfort have to sell it as an extra,so I thought I'd shop around

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

I didn't think they were accepting new members from the UK?

I would have stuck with RAC, through the C&CC, but the extra they wanted for European cover over UK only was too much - plus the fact that I only joined the C&CC to get the breakdown cover, so I can save £37 a year membership there too.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have just reinsured Motorhome and car with comfort and their uk and European breakdown cover is £60 no weight limit.

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
My Motorhome is 4.25t and is insured with Caravan Guard who include overseas breakdown cover for a reasonable fee

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You call them and just ask for an English speaker. I think most of use use partner plus.
00 49 941 55673
You'll need a card handy
Costs about €90
Covers either of you in any vehicle under 7.5t

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If it’s just UK and European breakdown cover try "LV Britania Rescue” Tel: 0800 756 8700. They cover up to 7 tonnes and according to Which beat their competition in both performance and price in fact they where No 1 in the latest Which survey. Hope this helps, good luck

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Another vote for nationwide plus account. £10 a month for travel, breakdown and mobile phone insurance :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Just had a quick check .. the LV European cover for any vehicle is £180

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
From experience be warned that Insurance abroad is basically routed through Europ Assistance and that they don't repair your Vehicle they merely take you to the nearest Dealer ie: Fiat,Merecedes etc.

You have to pay for the repair!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I've just dropped the RAC through the C&CC, and gone with opening a Nationwide Flexplus bank account.

£10 per month gets full European breakdown cover for MH up to 8m in length and 7.5t weight, no height or width restriction - plus any cars you've got - and it can be a joint account. Doesn't look like Motorbikes are covered though.

You get travel insurance as well, again joint cover + and dependent kids. Seems like a good deal.

I didn't know this as I already have this on my flex account, i knew it covered cars but not Motorhomes if this is correct then happy days although my MH is currently covered under the 2 year manufacturer warranty (i think) with fiat assistance. There is a 3rd year but something happens with this as i think it is through another company where i have to claim back. But i will just use Nationwide as it will be easier.

It doesnt look as though it covers trailers which I may need, are there specific companies that cover towing trailers for breakdowns?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have just reinsured Motorhome and car with comfort and their uk and European breakdown cover is £60 no weight limit.
Yes, insured through comfort and the breakdown/recovery is an extra cost but definitely no limit

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Ours is with AIB and it's 4250 and no problem. I specifically asked about this... I might just give ours a call today just to have piece of mind as we are France bound again in October.. Thank you for the heads up (y)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Nationwide Flexplus for us too...£10 monthly fee motorhome/car breakdown cover and other benefits. If you keep £2.5k in the account you get their "best" rate of interest which works out around £6 month making the breakdown cover £4 a month - bit of a bargain!

David

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Nationwide here also, I had to call them a few weeks ago as my Van not MH expired, excellent service, came within the hour and took both me and the van home.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Another vote for Nationwide. Although I've not used them yet they now cover my car, bike and motorhome for breakdown abroad. Also get medical cover while abroad although did have to speak to them on the phone to ensure the blood pressure tablets me and my wife take would be ok. No extra cost, and they did tell me other issues can still be covered with an extra cost depending on how severe.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
ADAC, joined last April and was put straight through to English speaking agent who was great, also advised me if I breakdown in the UK joust ring the AA direct who cover the UK.

Limits are 7500 kg and 10m length, it was 90euro which at the time was £69 but that was just me as my wife won't be taking the van anywhere without me, and her car is covered anyway.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@zac Comfort cover the trailer but you need to have insurance for a car if that's what you are carrying.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@zac Comfort cover the trailer but you need to have insurance for a car if that's what you are carrying.
Not sure i follow. The bike or car will have separate insurance. I wouldn't have car insurance with comfort as i only have my Motorhome with them.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I didn't know this as I already have this on my flex account, i knew it covered cars but not Motorhomes if this is correct then happy days although my MH is currently covered under the 2 year manufacturer warranty (i think) with fiat assistance. There is a 3rd year but something happens with this as i think it is through another company where i have to claim back. But i will just use Nationwide as it will be easier.

It doesnt look as though it covers trailers which I may need, are there specific companies that cover towing trailers for breakdowns?

No, Nationwide covers trailers:-

Caravans and trailers - your cover includes any caravan or trailer that is attached to your vehicle (this does not include help at the home address that we have on our records or within a ¼ of a mile of that address or the location at which your caravan is normally stored). Caravans and trailers must be fitted with a standard 50 millimetre ball coupling. All caravans and trailers must meet the requirements of Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

any vehicle registered in the UK, being driven by or carrying the Nationwide FlexPlus account holder(s) or a vehicle registered in the UK and owned and registered to the account holder(s), which is being used with the permission of the account holder(s) and does not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded: - Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame). - Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight. - All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight.

Rather helpful that the height and width restriction does not apply to motorhomes!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
No, Nationwide covers trailers:-

Caravans and trailers - your cover includes any caravan or trailer that is attached to your vehicle (this does not include help at the home address that we have on our records or within a ¼ of a mile of that address or the location at which your caravan is normally stored). Caravans and trailers must be fitted with a standard 50 millimetre ball coupling. All caravans and trailers must meet the requirements of Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

any vehicle registered in the UK, being driven by or carrying the Nationwide FlexPlus account holder(s) or a vehicle registered in the UK and owned and registered to the account holder(s), which is being used with the permission of the account holder(s) and does not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded: - Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame). - Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight. - All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight.

Rather helpful that the height and width restriction does not apply to motorhomes!

Even better as i missed this, thanks for that very useful. No other insurance needed then :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Not sure i follow. The bike or car will have separate insurance. I wouldn't have car insurance with comfort as i only have my Motorhome with them.
Just meant that the trailer is covered for accident but if car was damaged you would need to claim on your car insurance.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Interesting - how do you apply then? All I could see was the link below which requires you to have an address in Germany.

https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

If it's cheaper I may stop the Nationwide, although I would need to factor in travel insurance cost.

I went in the opposite direction on this. Flex plus gives worldwide travel cover, breakdown Europe wide for the van and wifes car plus a bundle of other stuff. Easily worth £120pa. The interest on keeping the maximum qualifying balance for interest in the account repays half the cost, in any case. And face it, if you have the odd amount to leave in the account, where else are you going to bung it for any income?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back