Break in on Motorway services in France (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If your safe is too hard to get to then as Geo says, chances are there will be times when you don't bother. Your only going to have a 20 minute snooze anyway, 3 hours of slumber later and you find you've been burgled. I have a safe that takes a while to get at, but I would only ever expect to access it in an Emergency, say after a robbery or loss.

You should have an everyday hiding place for stuff. One that is easy to access but hard to find. Look hard enough and you'll find such a place. Be very anal about ensuring obvious valuables are always placed there.

Motorway aires have a bad rep but whenever you stop to sleep in any public place in any country you are much more likely to become a victim of crime than on a site. This means that on lay-bys, shopping centre car-parks, and yes Motorway Aires you should be especially vigilant.

If you must sleep in a public place you should at the very least have some secondary locks on your doors. Cab doors and habitation doors are notoriously easy to open. Some habitation doors open quicker and easier without a key than with it!

It's a common occurrence for us to hear about people waking up and finding they have been robbed, or people waking up and finding evidence of an attempted break-in. Much rarer (though it does happen) are people telling us that their alarm woke them. So as well as ensuring all the doors and windows are secure, ideally set a perimeter alarm. Those alarm warning flashes do put people off, especially when there are softer targets to be had. I say when because there always are. So many people slip into holiday mode and rarely think about their security. Would you sleep on a Spanish Motorway aire and leave doors and windows unlocked or even open? Hard to believe, but people do, every day. If you just keep a healthy does of awareness there are always plenty of other victims who will keep the crooks away from you.

The advice about Mugs wallets or handbags (with no value in them) is good, but make sure they cannot be seen from the outside. Silly to get a window smashed just because they could see your decoy and smash to grab it. Only when they are inside, (hopefully with your alarm screaming) should they be able to see the Mugs wallet and take it and run. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
is it still illegal to gut a broken smartphone and pack with a few grammes of c4 and a detonator? leave that with the decoy wallet and you may get woken when the thief tries to turn it on in their vehicle. that should ruin their day

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If you're in the Uk with it you might as well get a gun. Offence is the same.(y)
I bet for sure the burglar whose eyes atm this point would be on fire , sure would not be the one reporting you to the cops :)
They would be to busy leggin it out of there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I used to bury my safe, deep at the back of a cupboard or a "wriggle" under a bed thinking that "No one will find that"

Trouble is that we would start the trip with all the valuables locked safely away. Then with loads of crap (bedding, spare towels, coats etc) stored in and around it.

First time we needed anything from the safe we would struggle huff and puff to get access. I would be stupid according to Lyn (my wife) for mounting the safe in such a stupid place, and Lyn would be stupid for packing so much "Crap" in the way

The reality was that Passports and travel documents and Toll road/fuel credit cards spent the rest of the journey on the dash board as we couldn't be arsed to clanber back into the "void" lol

We now have a good quality safe, non digital, set into the dinette so the bulk of the safe is in the dinette base, but the door is accessed through the gap between the two dinette benches under the table.

The safe is bolted through the floor with High Tensile bolts, to a bespoke plate with welded captive Aeronuts (like Nylocs without the Nylon being the lock) The whole van is black Waxoyled underneath anyway so invisible and virtually pointless attacking

As it it a keyed safe with internal hinges it is virtually flush with the dinette base so again virtually unattackable for the average opportunist thief. It does mean that popping things in and taking things out is little harder than getting a Cold drink from the fridge when underway.

I have no problem a potential thief being able to locate the safe fairly quickly as I have a "Growler" fitted to my motorhome, so the interior is very loud when the alarm is triggered, and I have a "Non Starter MT" which will have told me that some one is up to no good and I am very confident that my valuables are safe, out of site and locked in a good safe.

Security is always a balance between the users convenience and the effectiveness of the device, so a safe that doesn't get used as it is too well hidden or inconveniently placed, is worse than a cheap safe that is used. So a top quality safe that is fairly visible, but is always used is ideal in my opinion

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I'm surprised how many people would spend tens of thousands on a MH, but nothing on a system to protect their investment, their belongings or themselves,

#NoGrowlerNoSecurity
Sorry but if you are in the van how will a Growler know a side window has been forced?
Do they fit switches or sensors on all windows?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Although to be honest, with so many Motorhomes having "car" alarms or no alarm at all, thieves don't tend to attack motorhomes which are obviously alarmed

So on an Aire if you don't have external LED's it's better not to close all your blinds

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Always have an old wallet with redundant CCs and 5€ in it out of sight from outside in the cab. Never had it nicked! Purpose is to surrender it if necessary.

Dick

Reactions: Jim
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry but if you are in the van how will a Growler know a side window has been forced?
Do they fit switches or sensors on all windows?
One of the BIG benefits of a Growler is the external flashing LED's which act to deter break in attempts.
Another BIG benefit of a Growler is that if you suspect that you are being attacked, you can press the panic button which sets off the sirens.

#NoGrowlerNoSecurity

OP
OP
Kelso

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Thanks for all your responses.
We do have a safe, where our valuables were ok and we do have a sigma alarm system, they popped the locks without any damage, what we should have done and have done since it put a strap across the doors in the front, so the doors couldn't be opened even if they could pop the locks. The banks in question was Natwest and Santander.
Santander told me to go to any branch and they would give me money over the counter. I have since found out that that is not true - also only 2 branches of Santander in all of France.
Natwest told us they would send money within 24 hours through Western Union and 24 hours later when nothing had arrived we phoned again and we were then told that this facility does not exist. We spoke to several members of staff at Natwest and everyone had a different story as to what could be done.
So there you have it, once again thanks for all your good wishes. We are continuing our holiday and will be parked up at the Algarve for the next 3 months. (Isn't retirement great).
Kelso and Margit

OP
OP
Kelso

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Forgot to say - SatNav packed up, so couldn't get to a safe campsite off the motorway. There was however 5 other campers parked up at the parking area of the motorway services where we stopped.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
@Ingwe , I think you might have to duck the next time you see Dawn.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
ooh err!! no offence intended, matron! To Dawn, Ducks, Yorkshire and Dutch folk. I'll get my coat........

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Phew!! I bleed easily.....

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Forgot to say - SatNav packed up, so couldn't get to a safe campsite off the motorway. There was however 5 other campers parked up at the parking area of the motorway services where we stopped.
MAPs are very handy,,,,BUSBY:D:D

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I don't have alarms, but do have a safe. I store my tools in the safe, as its in such an obvious place, ie under the passenger seat, and seems easy to break into.
I had reasons to stay at petrol filling stations. I strapped driver, passenger, and sliding door with an easy releasing strap. I emailed all my kids, and myself, where what was hidden, in what place, because I knew I wouldn't remember. I did have a false handbag, with junk in, which I put in the wardrobe.
Generally, I had so many hiding places. ie, drivers licence, and cash card, and cash, in my shower cap, credit card, and cash in the toilet holder, original papers of insurance, and passport behind a wooden panel, (screw on bit of cardboard thingy which vans have), 2nd cash card and some cash, in the coffee jar. Copies of important paperwork in a cubby hole, More cash and eu hospital card in envelope on top of leisure battery, which is under drivers seat, tablet behind the cola bottles............... a lot more places.
2 months after being in the uk, I decided to wash the driver and passenger seat covers, and found 200 euros still hidden.
I never did find anywhere safe to hide my kindle or phone while asleep except under the mattress, as I would be too tired to hide them anyway, using it till sleep.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I don't have alarms, but do have a safe. I store my tools in the safe, as its in such an obvious place, ie under the passenger seat, and seems easy to break into.
I had reasons to stay at petrol filling stations. I strapped driver, passenger, and sliding door with an easy releasing strap. I emailed all my kids, and myself, where what was hidden, in what place, because I knew I wouldn't remember. I did have a false handbag, with junk in, which I put in the wardrobe.
Generally, I had so many hiding places. ie, drivers licence, and cash card, and cash, in my shower cap, credit card, and cash in the toilet holder, original papers of insurance, and passport behind a wooden panel, (screw on bit of cardboard thingy which vans have), 2nd cash card and some cash, in the coffee jar. Copies of important paperwork in a cubby hole, More cash and eu hospital card in envelope on top of leisure battery, which is under drivers seat, tablet behind the cola bottles............... a lot more places.
2 months after being in the uk, I decided to wash the driver and passenger seat covers, and found 200 euros still hidden.
I never did find anywhere safe to hide my kindle or phone while asleep except under the mattress, as I would be too tired to hide them anyway, using it till sleep.
LOL Another Funster who has just told every man and his dog about their security arrangements.
Never, Never, state on a forum or anywhere else on the internet about how you protect your valuables.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
LOL Another Funster who has just told every man and his dog about their security arrangements.
Never, Never, state on a forum or anywhere else on the internet about how you protect your valuables.
Not quite, cause there are just sooooo many places to hide things. Im not saying someone wont find one or two places, but I doubt they will clean me out. I definitely like those small snap seal plastic bags for jewellery which go into the peanut butter, mayonnaise etc. A thief would have to bring a few boxes along if planning to clean me. Was trying to give some people that there are loads and loads of places to hide things, just use your imagination, ie empty pink and blue bottle toilet cleaner for keys and money, under your toilet cassette is also good.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We have all doors and windows alarmed when wilding and place the valuables in places where the thieves would have to climb over us in bed to reach them!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Not quite, cause there are just sooooo many places to hide things. Im not saying someone wont find one or two places, but I doubt they will clean me out. I definitely like those small snap seal plastic bags for jewellery which go into the peanut butter, mayonnaise etc. A thief would have to bring a few boxes along if planning to clean me. Was trying to give some people that there are loads and loads of places to hide things, just use your imagination, ie empty pink and blue bottle toilet cleaner for keys and money, under your toilet cassette is also good.
In it is better!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only alarm that works is barky dog :)
... except when they are so tired they'd sleep through anything!!
tazzy sleeping.jpg

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Looks a real deterrent. "Enter my home and I'll snore all over you!"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun