Breadmaking - I need a 'kneading' machine! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@MinxyGirl if you need a machine for kneading then I would go with what others have already said ........... a powerful stand mixer, but that will cost you an arm and a leg:eek:

Clearly you enjoy good quality bread and a bread machine will be never match the standard you have become used to :(

I have a bread machine (last of 3 we have owned over the years) and will never use it again now I know how to make proper bread. I also have a K Mix which I use sometimes for kneading but to be honest I find the results are not as consistent as kneading by hand unless making at least a 2 lb loaf. Kneading by hand yields the best results every time (for me).

:)

I have just edited this because I realised I had not read your post properly :rolleyes:

So the answer has to be a stand mixer (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A vote for Kenwood chef from this camp too - bought one for the wife 45 years ago and its still going strong. Dough hook does all the hard work and we enjoy the results

you can still find the old Kenwoods on ebay.. great machines.. sadly, they don't make 'em like that any more ..

Kenwood sold out to De Longhi in 2000

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
another Panasonic user here...can be used just to make dough. or use a mixer for dough

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have had mixed results with my Panasonic.

Anyone got a white, foolproof recipe?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Another Panasonic bread maker fan here for both bread & dough - not killed one yet but tin loses non-stick so now on the hunt for a cheap price for a new one as tin £55! This one has lasted 8 years with daily use.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
My mother in law, (Gone now bless her) gave me a Kenwood Chef mixer with all the accessories she bought it when she was pregnant with Chris my wife.
The machine still runs so smoothly, sadly the lugs on the bottom of the glass bowl have broken off so the bowl won`t hold in place.
A few years ago the Machine had it`s 50th birthday so I had the brilliant idea of writing to Kenwood saying that my mother in law had bought the machine used it almost everyday for the last 5o yrs, faithful servant and all that, explained about the broken lugs on the glass bowl etc etc and would it be possible to get a replacement bowl as the machine was so reliable and had years of use left in it.

I`m thinking rather naively that Kenwood could use this as a big promotion campaign , 50 yr old machine still going strong etc etc. they could put it in their museum as a show piece of just how good their machine were, they would of course offer me their latest top of the range machine with all the bits.

Reality came knocking in the shape of an envelope and on the back was written In answer to your question regards a new Bowl....No.

Hahaha that wiped my eye.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Sadly Kenwood are no longer the quality maker they were.
I wouldn't touch anything they make new today. They are trading on their old reputation with regards to prices and quality is down with the worst.
Got my son a Kenwood Chef last year on ebay but it was 15 years old and like new.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Now we have the kneading /mixing sorted out.. the next bit of important kit is decent kitchen scales..

I went through several electronic ones before buying a Salter beam balance scales off eBay .. you can buy new, but the old ones are solid cast iron.. with cast iron and brass weights.. can also find in charity shops.. expect to pay £20 - £30 .. new ones are considerably more.. I also bought another set of brass metric weights from a charity shop..

these are 'working' scales.. not ornaments.. so not polished..
IMG_0205.JPG

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use my trusty old Kenwood Chef with a dough hook.
It was one of our wedding presents nigh on 40 years ago and still going strong.
No limit to the types/shapes when you do it that way. You don't need heat for proving. It just takes longer.
I have a super recipe for a white loaf that proves overnight.
I'd be happy to post it if you want.
YES PLEASE! :)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions ... much appreciated and something to think about ...

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Here you go Mel. It makes the best loaf I have ever produced.

Jacquie's white bread recipe

Ingredients
500 g strong white flour
5 g salt
7 g dried yeast – not quick action stuff See note ** at bottom
250-300 ml warm water
40 ml olive oil; plus extra for kneading
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 loaf tin 17cm long, 10 cm wide, 9 cm high, slightly larger (12cm wide) at the top.
Method
Sponge the yeast by putting it in a bowl with 50 mls of the measured warm water, together with the sugar. When sponged, i.e., given a stir and left for 10-15 mins until the sugar and yeast have dissolved and started to make a few bubbles, put it in a large bowl with half the flour and the rest of the water. Give it a stir to mix. I use the Kenwood bowl for all this process as I use my Chef for the first kneading anyway.

Stir with a wooden spoon till roughly mixed, cover with a cloth and leave to hydrate overnight in a warmish place.

Next morning transfer the mixture to the mixing bowl of the Kenwood. That’s why I put it in there in the beginning. Add the rest of the flour, the salt and the oil. Give it a stir to roughly mix it.

Using the dough hook, knead for 3 to 4 minutes. If too wet add extra flour. Take out and place on an oiled work surface. Oil your hands and knead by hand till very smooth and elastic 2-3 mins. You can just as easily leave it in the bowl, rest for a couple of minutes and then machine knead it for a few minutes.

Flatten the dough into a rectangle whose width will be the length of your bread tin. Roll into a sausage, and place in the bread tin, making sure the "join" is at the bottom. Press down into the corners, though this isn't really necessary if the roll is perfectly shaped.

Put the tin in a large plastic bag, and leave to prove till more than doubled in size. (The dough will reach the top of the tin, with the centre domed well above. Make sure that the plastic bag isn't touching it). I use a large clear plastic box to cover it. Usually takes 1-2 hours.

Bring about a litre of water to the boil. Preheat the oven to 230°C/Gas 8. When ready to put the risen loaf into the oven, slash the top with a very sharp razor, lightly spray the surface with water and sprinkle with a little flour. Place a roasting tray on the bottom shelf of the oven (I put it in there when I turn the oven on) and pour in the boiling water to create steam while the loaf is baking. Place the loaf on the middle shelf and bake for about 35/40 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.

** I use Allinson’s Dried Active Yeast (Not Fast Acting) it’s in a yellow drum – works out much cheaper than the sachets of fast acting stuff for breadmakers.

For those interested the Jacquie in the title is the better half of a virtual friend, Ian Hoare, and he has a website that was for their B&B business in France but he is a dedicated foodie and hence has a mass of super recipes that he has been cooking for years for his guests.
You can have a look here: http://souvigne.com/recipes/index.htm

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Drop David Cameron a line Minxy, he knows that there are loads of kneady people just waiting fo
can you leave the dough to set overnight and then just put it in a pre heated oven?
Yes, but this takes planning! If you decide after breakfast to make a loaf to go with the soup at lunch time, as often happens with us you need a warm kitchen to get it to rise properly.

My experience is making bread when it is colder is much harder and it probably takes a lot more experience than I have to get consistent results.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Still 'kneading' it over!!! :xgrin:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Having read the butter making thread I think a mixer is now on the cards .... mmmmmmm .... home made bread, home made butter and I already have some home made jam!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With being so busy doing the decorating at our static caravan I haven't had time to sort out a mixer but today when getting some bits in Tesco I noticed they had one on offer in store (in pink, white or green) reduced from £59.50 to £39.50 so thought I'd give it a go:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-stm15c-cream-stand-mixer/578-7534.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=578-7534

I went for the green which is more like a duck-egg blue/peppermint colour although they had plenty in the other colours too.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The two reviews aren't very good.

Ian
Yes, but there are only two and I've already had a 'twiddle' of the knob and a play with the machine, and it didn't seem to be anything like they 'allude' to it being ... I'll give it a try in a day or two and then decide if it's a keeper or not.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@MinxyGirl if you want it for kneading bread dough you might find it is not strong enough.........

Just sayin :rolleyes:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Kenwood every time for us, we bought ours in 1979, so much more you can do than just making dough if you have the right attachments. Maureen can turn out a great base for Pablovas.
The only problem we have found with it, is the noise when it's on full
We have the mincer, potato peeler, and the liquidizer attachments with ours, but sorry to admit, we haven't used those for quite a while now.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@MinxyGirl if you want it for kneading bread dough you might find it is not strong enough.........

Just sayin :rolleyes:
... exactly why I'm gonna give it a go. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it doesn't come with a dough hook, which I couldn't see listed then I guess it is not suitable for bread making. If it does have one then give it a go. If it breaks you should be able to get a refund - although they might try repairing it so that isn't certain.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Sorry @MinxyGirl ........ I think we do all have your best interests at heart :h:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back