Breadmaking - I need a 'kneading' machine!

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Minxy Girl, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I would love to make some bread, I used to do it when I was a tot with my Mum using an old victorian style washing bowl (the type that comes with a large water jug for daily ablutions) but unfortunately I can't do the kneading as it puts too much pressure on my hands/wrists and is bl**dy painful ... (n)

I'd still do the baking in the oven so just need something to knead! So should I look to get a breadmaker to just do the kneading or would I be better off with a food mixer with a dough attachment?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Our Panasonic breadmaker does a wonderful job:D

• Like Like x 3
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

A mixer would come in for other baking jobs. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Another vote for Panasonic--- they keep going where other bread makers burn out. If you look online comparing baking costs it's cheaper to use a breadmaker rather than your oven. But if you've got an Aga that's heated already, you can't beat that!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minxy Girl

I'd rather use an oven to do the actual baking as I can then decide on what type of bread I want - loaf, rolls, baps etc, can't do that if I bake it in a breadmaking machine, hence why I just need something for the kneading.

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

My wife makes fabulous bread using a method which does not use kneading! This is the book:

It really works, she has tried other methods but has now found what works for her. It has convinced me kneading isn't necessary, the downside is it takes perhaps a bit longer which is probably why the professionals don't use it.

The Paul Hollywood book went to the charity shop.

But as a balance, I've made bread using a Kenwood Chef with a dough hook. I can make good bread but I've found you need somewhere warm to do the rising. This is critical, without warmth you get bricks. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  7. Minxy Girl

Is that the amazing disappearing bread making book then ??? I can't see it!

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It disappears like every loaf she makes! Not sure why you can't see it, but possibly because I was adding something to the post. :)

But its called How to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tofo

tofo Funster

Pannasonic for me also setting no 6 does dough
    Ready to go
    It takes 90 minutes I have stopped it at 60 mins
    And left it to rise then baked it
    £39.00 from aldi a month or so back

10. Oriel

Oriel

I have a KitchenAid mixer and use the dough hook - brilliant mixer, built to last a lifetime.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sorry, didn't read your original post properly! If we are talking bread machines versus more traditional bread making then there is no contest - depending on what you want!

If you want adequate bread which is edible then get a bread making machine. We used them for years. Then we started making bread "properly". The result is massively better than the stuff you can make in a bread making machine.

If you are happy with a square loaf of bread which hasn't risen much with a dubious crust then get a machine.

If you like crusty bread like you can buy in a bakers then make it yourself, either by hand or perhaps using a machine with a dough hook.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

I don't want to bake the loaf in a bread machine, just do the kneading hence whether a bread machine or a food mixer would be best ... although I do like the sound of the 'no kneading' recipes as I can have a go at these in the interim and see how I get on.

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Can't argue with that, bread machines are cheap enough. Give it a go, but don't be put off if you don't get the results you expect. As I said we had bread making machines for years, thinking we couldn't make bread any other way.

Bread making machines are also compact so could be used in the MH. Otherwise I would still recommend a Kenwood Chef. Not the most expensive or best mixer but I use ours to make a good pizza dough. Mrs DBK makes great cakes with it as well!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Drop David Cameron a line Minxy, he knows that there are loads of kneady people just waiting for an opportunity to get their feet under someone's kitchen table. (y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

A food processor (kneading hooks) is obviously more versatile but my bread makes does have recipes that allow you to stop after the kneading process in order to make/bake bread rolls.

16. The Happy Hooker

The Happy Hooker Funster

I suggest that you would probably be better off going for a mixer with a dough hook as it would give you more choice with different recipes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Another vote for the KitchenAid mixer

18. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

. Mixer every time minxy, can be used for so much else ,and wont be just another gadget in back of the cupboard . Lidl have a special on this week ,great mixer for £50. .Roy

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fenman

Fenman Funster

I use my trusty old Kenwood Chef with a dough hook.
    It was one of our wedding presents nigh on 40 years ago and still going strong.
    No limit to the types/shapes when you do it that way. You don't need heat for proving. It just takes longer.
    I have a super recipe for a white loaf that proves overnight.
    I'd be happy to post it if you want.

• Like Like x 2
  20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Likewise.. (y)

KitchenAid Heavy Duty .. 'probably' the best domestic mixer you can buy .

I bought mine from this company . https://www.cs-catering-equipment.co.uk/kitchenaid-5kpm5ber-red-planetary-food-mixer

I started out with a Panasonic bread maker.. does a good job.. but not a patch on 'hand made' It is now 'retired' to the shed..

I make a large plain Bloomer every other day...

Has it been mentioned that we have bread making group .. ?
    http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/groups/bread-making.31/groupinfo

My basic bread mix is very simple .. the salt and sugar can of course be adjusted to your preference..

500gm strong white bread flour
    1 ts Sugar
    1/2 ts salt
    40ml olive oil
    320ml cold water
    1 pack of dried yeast 7gm

Mix the dry ingredients in the mixer, then add the olive oil and finally add the water gradually.. mix with the dough hook until it is nice a soft.. about 10 mins or mix and knead by hand.

Remove from mixer and knead into a round ball. Place in an oiled covered bowl and let it prove in a warm place until about double in size. (This can take several hours depending on room temperature)...

'Knock back' on a floured surface and shape into whatever loaf you want... I usually do a round one which requires the dough to be folded over on itself several times and kneaded each time until it is a nice ball shape.. .. or a long bloomer .. or cut into 12 or 8 pieces to make rolls (baps) and knead each one as per the round loaf.

Place on a floured baking tray, cover with clink film and prove until it starts to rise again.. but not too much or the loaf becomes too airy .

Spray with cold water , dust with bread flour, and cut a cross on top by sliding a sharp knife across it.

Bake for 30 mins at 225c (fan assisted oven) .. turn oven down to 200c for the last ten minutes.

The 'bloomer'
    DSCF2401.JPG DSCF2402.JPG

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 6