Bread crates - silly question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by maz, Jun 9, 2016.

1. maz

maz Funster

Having lusted after bread crates for years, we have just managed to obtain a couple for free. Silly question now has sprung to mind - which way up do we use them? Smooth side up with ridges gripping the ground so they don't fly out when I do a racing start? Or smooth side down so that the tyres get grip on the ridges (but possibly break the ridges down - heavy van)?

See, even after 5 years on the road and the forums I can still ask a silly question. :blush:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When I cut the sides and ends of my crates I tried to leave small "teeth" which would grip the ground when laid smooth side down so that the tyres grip the ridges. I did only take the ends and sides off, didn't cut them in half lengthwise as some people do.

We had no problem with our (10 loaf) trays with our van (3.5 tonnes) but when helping someone with a heavier van they did suffer cracks in the lattice. All that means, though, is that I had to cut damaged bits off and simply have smaller trays :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. maz

maz Funster

Thanks for that, Graham. We'll see how they stand up to the 'Beastie of Bling'. :BigGrin:

• Funny Funny x 1