Bread crates - silly question (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Having lusted after bread crates for years, we have just managed to obtain a couple for free. Silly question now has sprung to mind - which way up do we use them? Smooth side up with ridges gripping the ground so they don't fly out when I do a racing start? Or smooth side down so that the tyres get grip on the ridges (but possibly break the ridges down - heavy van)?

See, even after 5 years on the road and the forums I can still ask a silly question. :blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I cut the sides and ends of my crates I tried to leave small "teeth" which would grip the ground when laid smooth side down so that the tyres grip the ridges. I did only take the ends and sides off, didn't cut them in half lengthwise as some people do.

We had no problem with our (10 loaf) trays with our van (3.5 tonnes) but when helping someone with a heavier van they did suffer cracks in the lattice. All that means, though, is that I had to cut damaged bits off and simply have smaller trays :)

Reactions: maz
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks for that, Graham. We'll see how they stand up to the 'Beastie of Bling'. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back