Brazing ali (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi amazed to find while looking at ways to weld ali that you can now buy fluxless brazing rods, see here: Link Removed

Didn't realise I was so out of touch, I have only ever gas welded it and that was 35 years ago, looking at the video's on that site it seems pretty straightforward, might buy some and try a few joints on the rotator.

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi olley,

i used a similar thing about 10 years ago when doing aeromodelling.

special aluminium alloy rods, a stainless wire probe and a stainless wire brush.

using a plumbers blow torch heat the parts to be welded, brush clean then reheat until the workpiece just starts to 'puddle'.
apply a small amount of filler rod and agitate the puddle with the wire probe while maintaining the puddle with heat.
allow to cool naturally.

really difficult as slightly too much heat for too long and you pick up the blobs of ali that were the workpiece...:cry:

the weld was far, far harder than the original ali and could only just be filed with a regular engineers file.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Olley, I do believe you can mig weld it too with the right gun and wire...

JJ

Hi JJ you can but TIG is a better method, but the gear you need and the price of it, its not worth it for the Diyer. Brazing is cheap and easy, just use an ordinary blow lamp.

Hi Papa sounds the same, they claim its stronger than the base metal, now that's what I call progress. ::bigsmile:

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just watched the video and its exactly the same process.

to repair the broken casting lug shown will use all 5 rods in the kit at least.:Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi amazed to find while looking at ways to weld ali that you can now buy fluxless brazing rods, Olley

They make it look *so* easy at exhibitions.

But in the real world........

Actually I don't know, I've got MIG so never tried it.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
hi olley,

i used a similar thing about 10 years ago when doing aeromodelling.

special aluminium alloy rods, a stainless wire probe and a stainless wire brush.

using a plumbers blow torch heat the parts to be welded, brush clean then reheat until the workpiece just starts to 'puddle'.
apply a small amount of filler rod and agitate the puddle with the wire probe while maintaining the puddle with heat.
allow to cool naturally.

really difficult as slightly too much heat for too long and you pick up the blobs of ali that were the workpiece...:cry:

the weld was far, far harder than the original ali and could only just be filed with a regular engineers file.:thumb:

:Cool: They STILL have a man at the BMFA Nats doing a Demo and selling the special rod by the Metre. :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi amazed to find while looking at ways to weld ali that you can now buy fluxless brazing rods, see here: Link Removed

Didn't realise I was so out of touch, I have only ever gas welded it and that was 35 years ago, looking at the video's on that site it seems pretty straightforward, might buy some and try a few joints on the rotator.

Olley

I have been gasless welding for some 10 years Olley...

Seems to work well but there is always a price premium for the wire/rods....:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
They make it look *so* easy at exhibitions.

But in the real world........

Actually I don't know, I've got MIG so never tried it.

Having had a look I think I will stick with my Mig and a bit of Argon- a lot quicker and easier I reckon

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having had a look I think I will stick with my Mig and a bit of Argon- a lot quicker and easier I reckon

Having said that, they do show repairs to great big castings a MIG would not tackle.

I hope I never have to find out. Though if a certain person with a stuck sump plug takes some of the advice given they'll be testing it for sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back