Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Does anyone know, the force needed to move brake pedal down. I am looking at linear actuators at the moment, and need the measurement.
I know I could find a way of measuring it acuratley, but wondered if anyone had done the maths for me?::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
every make and model will be different.

servo size and vacuum, pedal length and yolk pin position (leverage), master and slave cylinder diameter, pipe diameter etc.

easiest way i can think would be caravan noseweight scales applied to the pedal.

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Yup, i did consider fishing scales, but the noseweight would be more accurate, cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
May not be any good......milenco scale goes up to 130kg and is only accurate to 2kg.
lt may only need a few kg to press the pedal in normal use.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The force required to press the brake pedal will vary depending on how much braking effort is required. For example, as you approach a road junction and will therefore be slowing down progressivelly you will generally apply light braking. During an ememrgency stop however you would likely be putting all your weight on the pedal, possibly more than your own body weight as you push back against the seat, I would guess you could apply anywhere from 0 to 150KGs of pressure to the pedal itself.

D.

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The actuators i'm looking at , are progressive actuators with 150kg force. They are "pull" actuators, if i needed more force, I could use a "push" actuator through a mini pulley, but i,m thinking 150kg could be enough if applied at the end of the pedal.
VOSA will have the final say i think, as it wil lhave to be tested. Its true that in an emergency situation the actuator would not act as quick as the main brake, but there is a little adjustment to be had, whereby the actuator is operated by the brake light switch, which can be "hair triggered" fairly easily.
Another small item to overcome is a back up system, where i use two actuators in tandem, so that if one were to fail, the second would work, but the one left working must be able to do the job,.....just playing at the moment, but if i get the planning right, it'll be a fairly quick thing to fit.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Under what Scheme/Authority will Vosa be testing your idea and you have not yet said whats it going to do or is that a secret
G

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Nah, nothing like a secret, its just an electronic way of braking a trailer, whether on a trailer or an A frame. The VOSA station at Chelmsford in essex is local'ish to me, they did the SVA and identity testing there, and when I had to try to get three TUK TUK's legal, they were very helpfull, so I,m sure they would be as helpfull with this.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So your question should read "Without Servo Assistance":Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.