Brakes!

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by WinnietheBrave, Apr 27, 2012.

1. WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave Read Only Funster

My Winnie is an old girl and as such old tech in the brake dept. Can any owners of these RV's tell me if their brakes are.......Lacking, or need a really weighty push to activate them? I normally pump mine to get a better feel, not sure if this is in my head though.

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Don't know about RV Brakes, but on an older Euro van I had similar problem asked a mech. and he suggested changing the brake fluid worked wonders for me. If you have not changed yours for awhile maybe worth a try.

3. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

RV brakes, many feel they are lacking, but then again you are stopping a heavy weight, probably in your case 5.5-6 tons???

Difficult without having a go, as it were, to compare but condition, what are the disks like, pads, general operation, iffy hoses should flag at MOT anyway and as above, brake fluid, when (has it ever) was it last changed.

Our Winne's brakes are OK, they don't feel overly inspiring when first applied but they are there and if firmer push is applied they get stronger, funnily enough and at MOT time they can max out the guages on the wall:Eeek:

4. mike/jen

mike/jen Read Only Funster

Changing the brake fluid works wonders, also check the pads, they might have gone hard over lack of use, also discs could be worn. Failing the above try a brake test.
    Mike[​IMG]

5. WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave Read Only Funster

She passes the brake test on the rollers ok, not had fluid changed in my ownership may be look at that before going any further.

6. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

My Winne is exactly the same, I lack confidence in them, but, they will stop the brute, and it maxed on the test rollers, so, they must be right.

Craig

7. mike/jen

I personaly think you wont go wrong with doing the brake fluid and at the same time do the clutch fluid, unless it it is a cable clutch, must dealers recommend 2 years for replacing fluids. Mike:thumb:

8. mike/jen

personaly think you wont go wrong with doing the brake fluid and at the same time do the clutch fluid, unless it it is a cable clutch, most dealers recommend 2 years for replacing fluids. Mike:thumb: fingers got crossed