Brake light on dash sometimes intermittent (1 Viewer)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Carioca 625 again.

We had a big service on the van which included all the brake pads (front and rear) in June. In July and August off round France we went. No problems at all. Until we went over one hell of a few cols just inside France and north of Nice and through Sospel (Wonderful views but boy was that hard work for her) Anyway the red warning light came on and it was really obvious the brakes were hot. (not quite smoke but not far off it) stopped for half hour, started using the gears more and lesson learned. A few days later the light came on again and really shouldnt have done. Then the last 2 weeks no light on at all.
Basically forgot about the issue, went down to Bournemouth and back last weekend and again no issues but then drove it on Monday (8 days of rest) and after 2 miles the light was intermittent again for about 10 miles but no real brake use at all. Then nothing for the next 80 miles. About 7000 miles since the pads were changed so cannot be them. I am assuming an issue with the sensor. Advice?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agreed, quite possibly a bad connection or dodgy wire on the sensor, ours was doing it when we bought it (used) OK after service and a bit of a fiddle.

Martin

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Fluid level OK?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Fluid level is fine. Brakes work fine, no sponginess no horrible metallic noise, even the air temperature was low on Monday.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I believe that most brake lights on the dash are positive fed and come on when an earth is made.

Might be worth checking the connection on the handbrake or the connection that will be found inside the master cylinder, it may be stick down or rusty.

Just a thought

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Is the handbrake on warning light the same one?
Mine played up after some seat trim was refitted causing the switch to be misplaced

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If the light is only for the brake and not the handbrake then it does sounds like a wire has rubbed through to make a contact.
If its the same light for fluid level , then take float out and move up and down several times.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Is the handbrake on warning light the same one?
Mine played up after some seat trim was refitted causing the switch to be misplaced

no its a differnt one this. the book says low pads, or over heated which makes sense for the cols we came down but not for here

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As it's a different warning lamp and due to the pads having been change and therefore things disturbed I think that Hilldweller and Bart are spot on with the sensor wire being chafed or trapped causing the issue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back