Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I thought I had found the answer to a brake issue to day only to be thwarted.

We picked up 'The beast' (Hobby 650 on a Fiat x244 base) in February.
It had a new MOT and has been MOT'ed since, no problem.
However, ever since we got her I noted that there was a slight on/off, on/off with the brakes when applied.

I put it down to slight 'ovalling' on the rear drums, probably caused by being laid up, with the handbrake applied, for most of the 18mths prior to our purchase.

Today I took off one of the rear wheels only to find that this Fiat x244 is fitted with discs.

Is it possible that the application of a handbrake for a prolonged period has actually squeezed the disc to the point where, on the application of the brakes a slight 'indentation can be felt?

All comments gratefully received.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Not really a mechanic but have been involved in the testing/approvals of brake pads, most of the blackened dust on your alloy wheels is the brake disk that has been abraded off. To reduce this brake on/off/on/off when braking caused by slightly out of true disks, the pads are hard abrasive material the "wears away" the disk on the high spots and makes them run true, so allowing the pads a good bite at the disk for the full rotation
Modern vehicles now use the brake disks as a consumable part, whereas years ago they would have lasted the life of the vehicle.
While I do not advise on hard and sharp braking to wear the disk true ,this should improve with normal use rather than driving as we all seem to, gently on the accelerator and on the brakes as gently as possible to keep the fuel economy up

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that Trekkin.

On our Audi (which seems to get less and less miles under the belt as we use the 'van more) I occasionally make the statement "Braking Hard Dear" as I hurtle down the hill towards St Mellion.
It's the only way to get the rust off the discs.

I don't think SWMBO will be as happy when we do it in the Beast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could be the discs have been 'burnt'

Effectively allows the pad to slip past the 'blued' portion of the disc without any, or very little grab effect.

Very common problem on many Vauxhall cars a few years ago and the only cure is disc replacement and careful application of brakes for the first few weeks with not harsh braking at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back