Brake checks at service time are always worth it. (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We do about 5-6000 a year in our MH, and the season begins with it coming out of winter storage and having its MoT and service in late Feb.

Whatever level of service I always ask them to do a proper brake check. Lo and behold it transpires we had a seized rear brake cylinder. On a previous occasion one of the brake shoes was beginning to fall to bits. Neither of these things were glaringly obvious when driving it around. However it might explain why we had to stop to let the brakes cool down when returning to France via the Col de Montgenevre last autumn if only three of the brakes were working properly, and yes, I was using my gears to descend the hills as well.

Most MHs are built onto a commercial van chassis, but commercial vans spend some of their time empty or half full, whereas a MH is the equivalent of a permanently full one. The extra wear on brakes, suspension, and wheel bearings is worth making an extra allowance for at servicing time.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
This is exactly why I don't generally do "half" services. Inspecting the brakes annually is a vitally important item in my book and I have four vehicles of our own to deal with too, each of which get an annual service including all wheels removed to inspect the brakes.

D.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its a good idea to remove and examine the brakes and the inside of the tyre too at least once a year when servicing. far cheaper to spend an extra 15 minutes a wheel at service time than have an unexpected breakdown or brake failure when on holiday

a bonus side effect is that you also get to check the wheel bolts/nuts for tightness too when refitting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back