Brake Buddy, A-Frame, HGV Licence

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ukrv, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ukrv

ukrv Deleted User

Come on then, let's get these out of the way now so we can all move on sooner rather than later.

Your views on the legality of :-

1) Brake Buddies

2) A-Frame use for everyday towing

3) HGV Licence not needed for 7.5+ ton RVs

Thanks
    Paul

PS If we do it now, we can all forget about it next week :Rofl1:

2. GeorgeTelford

GeorgeTelford Deleted User

Hi Paul

1) Ilegal under EU and UK Law
    2) Ilegal under EU and UK Law
    3) Only case ever taken to court was dropped, I spoke to DPP and they could not tell me under what law he was being prosecuted, If you ring now they will tell you that the case is filed with Wolverhampton DPP.

3. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Confused: I thought that 'A' frame towing was a slightly GREY area in that no one had yet been prosecuted just like the driving of? :Confused:

4. GeorgeTelford

Hi John

No a grey area is where a law is open to different interpretations, with regard to A Frames the law is very clear.

The law behind driving of motorhomes over 7.5 Tonnes is harder to quantify

5. Wobby

Wobby Read Only Funster

How come then the people who use A frames are not being prosecuted, or don't the police know
    Wobby

6. ukrv

ukrv Deleted User

OK, that's that done then - shall we move on now :thumb:

Paul
    :Rofl2:

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

[​IMG]

8. GeorgeTelford

Hi Wobby

Better things to do? Maybe they dont know the law, ask your average plod and he probably wont even know that its ilegal.

9. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is only legal for recovery and up to a certain speed

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Heres my two Pennies worth
    Ilegal
    Ilegal
    Ilegal based on the wording of a current uk licence ie ANY vehicle
    as I uunderstood it years ago it was possible to drive a motor home over 7.5 ton as
    these fell into what I belive is best descibed as unclassified and were deemed to be car rated for tax MOT etc and by default a car licence seemed to do it for the authorities in those days, however the current type of licence is not open to interpritaion
    yes Graham recovery only at 20mph and 40 mph depending on road type
    Geo

11. smithies

smithies Deleted User

A google of " A Frame " then follow threads the Dept of transport says they are legal.?? Dollies can be used with a limited speed 20 to 40mph....Still I use an A Frame and have for 3 Years....Still think its "Grey".......

12. GeorgeTelford

Hi Geo

Yes According to current UK licence wording, but this must be backed up by a RT Act, In several discussion's with DVLA and their legal dept they could not point to a Road traffic act that supported the ANY vehicle part, though this is changing as they slowly turn over to EU law staring from Jan 97 licences, all previous acts specified HGV and I have confirmed with Construction and Use Marsham that a Motorhome cannot be construed as a goods vehicle (unless it actually is a goods vehicle too) note that Construction and Use Marsham are named in the Acts as final arbitors of vehicle classification.

Pre 97 Licence would be extremely easy to prove, post 97 Licence may be harder they have subtely changed the wording however they have NOT listed it as a change from previous RT Acts

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi George
    An Interesting interpretation George, I feel you may have coverd this subject before, I base that comment on potted history quoted by others, I have only been into MH for about 18 months, and have not had the privelage of seeing all the posts on it, how do insurance companies view the situation, would you personaly drive over 7.5 ton on an ordinary car licence,
    Geo

14. johnsandywhite

:Confused: That is the BIG problem with rules and regulations. They are open to a vast range of INTERPRETATION. :Doh:

15. GeorgeTelford

Hi Geo

They state you must have a valid licence for the vehicle driven......

Yes I would/have, do I think everyone should? thats a difficult question, some people who have licences that according to the law means they can drive any size motorhome, I would not personally trust driving any kind of van.

Personally I think everyone should get training to drive larger vehicles, but here we are only discussing the law as it stands.

Consider this, at present a car licence allows you to drive a minibus this can be any size up to 44 tonnes (as long as it has the requisite number/type of axles) this still only requires a class IV MOT the same as a car.

The Law is a total mess...........

PS thats only for licencing on the Brake buddies and A frame it is absolutely clearly ilegal

16. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Mmmmmmmmmm re the licence, I don't think I personally would chance it

On that subject I have read a lot, I do use one with cable operated brakes ,but choose to use a brake buddy in preference, for the record, I agree they don,t appear to comply with UK trailor regs
    Geo

17. GeorgeTelford

Hi Smithies

Sorry I missed your post, no I dont thinks its a grey area at all, its completely ilegal to transport a vehicle about in this way, its only legal for recovery here is the missing and very criucial line.......

"An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety."

18. johnsandywhite

19. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

But Guys, is not a trailer better as you can reverse it and control where it goes?:Wink:

20. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

A trailer can certainly be reversed much more easily than a car on an a-frame. :Smile: