brake balance

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by mick noe, May 13, 2016.

1. mick noe

mick noe Funster

just replaced the pads on the rapido Fiat ducato /alco chasis and a bit of a mix up with ordering online from gsf (wrong front pads £12-oo post office to return!) But I digress, the guy helping me (doing it really) who is a red hot mechanic builds cars race bikes etc. remarked that the rear brakes disc ect had seen remarkably little use and whilst he was not overly concerned wondered about the brake balance. I have never had any problem with brakes barring smoking fronts after a few Alpine and Pyrenees mountain decents. He declined to interfere. But I wonder if there is a way to check /or set up? may be an extra complication with alco chasis

2. SandraL

SandraL Funster

I think it depends on age of vehicle. Later vans with abs don't have load valves on rear axle to reduce brake pressure if lightly loaded. If rear wheels lock the abs sorts itout. Our x250 fiat/alko chassis doesn't have one. In truth I am not sure what was fitted to earlier fiat alko chassis before abs. Am now sat waiting to be put right......

• Like Like x 1
  3. mick noe

mick noe Funster

thanks for you reply when I get a minute I'll see if there is a load valve ours is an x 250 2007 as I say probably nothing but just wondered.

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Brakes are about 70% 30% I believe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Are you talking brake Balance ie side to side (Checked at MoT time)
    Or Brake Proportion ie front to rear
    (No system per say is available as a complete independant check, these figures as a % are worked out at design time.and are really non adjustable to the likes of normal garages and owners)

• Thanks Thanks x 1