BP Ultimate v Supermarket diesel (1 Viewer)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I find a difference with a good brand than with supermarket. I think its what they don't do to it causes lower performance and high consumption

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Have a Look at the link (you may have to copy/paste to get it to work) Gives you the low down on DPF`s and the info on "Eloys" too.

I am somewhat suspicious of ALL these "premium" fuels. (T00) many Years back we where filling up with "Super Premium" Petrols (as advertised on T-V). Which where delivered by the same tanker which then went down the road to the "Cheap" filling station to complete it`s delivery. ALL from the same storage Tank on the BP refinery!!

My theory is Fuel Companies = Banks = Rip-off merchants!!

Mind when I was on the Lorries, I ALWAYS filled it up at BP stations. (Nectar Points)!!!!
pete

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I am somewhat suspicious of ALL these "premium" fuels. (T00) many Years back we where filling up with "Super Premium" Petrols (as advertised on T-V). Which where delivered by the same tanker which then went down the road to the "Cheap" filling station to complete it`s delivery. ALL from the same storage Tank on the BP refinery!!

That was a view expressed by many but as far as I know the tankers had divided tanks to make deliveries more efficient.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I find a difference with a good brand than with supermarket. I think its what they don't do to it causes lower performance and high consumption

I agree. A few years ago I noticed a real drop in performance with increased noise levels having just bought from Sainsbury's. Next top-up was back to Tesco, which was better, however, I needed fuel one day when miles away from a supermarket and bought Texaco diesel. Within 5 miles we both agreed that the MH was quieter and seemed to be running smoother with less pedal. Only time would tell if it was more efficient. Subsequently we found that any supermarket fuel gave worse mpg and always seemed noisier. Now, after 2yrs on 'proper' stuff I am convinced that the engine is cleaner and smoother. Average mpg is up from 26 to 29

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
They used to put lead in it, Until the "Greenies" got on the bandwagon. Cost`s the poor guys with "Classic" cars and Bikes extra to fill, Can`t get full leaded any more and the additives are of debatable quality. OK if you are doing a Head job and can get the Valve seats hardened, (@ Extra Cost). Why Does everything "green" seem to cost 4 times as much? Yeh! Politicians I know, shoot the bloody lot!!!

pete

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
They used to put lead in it, Until the "Greenies" got on the bandwagon. Cost`s the poor guys with "Classic" cars and Bikes extra to fill, Can`t get full leaded any more and the additives are of debatable quality. OK if you are doing a Head job and can get the Valve seats hardened, (@ Extra Cost). Why Does everything "green" seem to cost 4 times as much? Yeh! Politicians I know, shoot the bloody lot!!!

pete
You are aware that lots of people were killed on an annual basis due to the added lead?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yes. I am. But it still seems to me That Every time I hear the word "Green" my wallet and bank balance are the first things to be affected!.

Pete

Ian is B

Free Member
Apr 15, 2015
Wellington Somerset
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Exp
new
Premium every time for me. Experience in my car gave better performance and 5 to 7 per cent better mpg. Tested regular and premium fuel for 6000 miles each. Not over scientific but good enough to convince me. Hoping results for Daisy (Moto Trek PVC) will prove similar. Regards.

mikeh71

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
I just thought I would add my two penneth, would it not be ok to use the supermarket fuels and also use Redex Diesel treatment - may turn out cheaper in the long run ....

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I have a Kia Cee'd (stop laughing at the back, it's a Company car) last week I had to go to Carlisle from Newcastle. On this journey I had regular diesel in, average consumption was 60 mph for the journey there and back, the tank started at about 1/4 full and nearly empty when got back so I filled it up with Shell V power (the good stuff). Next day I did the same journey, but this time the tank was full, therefore more weight, weather and traffic conditions were the same. This time I got 66 mph average !!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
it does not matter what I petrol I put in my tank, I only get 22mph. I think I will have to lose some weight.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That was a view expressed by many but as far as I know the tankers had divided tanks to make deliveries more efficient.

So true,,worked on tankers for 8 years.The fuel grades are all stored separate. BUSBY.

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
What are the experts opinion of 2 stroke oil as an additive.
It has probably been discussed before but I do take in opinions more in the know than myself.

I use it in our 1991 Fiat 1.9td engine. I'm as sceptical as they come but I swear it makes much less white smoke from cold now and it runs quieter and smoother.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi
I just thought I would add my two penneth, would it not be ok to use the supermarket fuels and also use Redex Diesel treatment - may turn out cheaper in the long run ....
They used to give Redex away free, a few shots in your tank when you filled up. Cant say that I ever noticed any difference but it felt good as it was free.:)

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
As it was so long ago, around 1958/9 or so, I may have got the details wrong (correct me if anyone knows) but my (ex) brother-in-law worked at the newly built Esso refinery in Milford Haven. He bought an A35 van as his every day home-to-work transport, a journey of some 8 miles. At that time I believe Esso were running trials on different additives to the fuel (remember "Tiger in your tank" ?) and some of the refinery staff were given fuel to cover their traveling. Part of that agreement for being given the fuel was that the vehicle owners would allow their cars/vans engines to be examined independently on a regular basis to see how the various additives performed as regards to engine wear etc. One of these additives was called NSO - napthene solvent oil, similar to Redex in appearance and used in the same way. Whether it was obtained legally or not I don't know, but I managed to procure an amount of this magic fluid and if my memory serves me rightly, it certainly seemed to improve the performance and smooth running of my 500cc Enfield Bullet which was my prefered transport in those days. I'm unaware of the results re engine testing as above, but when it came to giving the bike a decoke I remember I was pleasantly surprised how clean the head, valves and piston were.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I think diesel in Spain is the worst! 1 cut above paraffin I reckon. Don't fill up as we leave the country anymore. :cry::cry:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I buy the cheapest diesel I can find anywhere and to date the MH has had no problems, but I do pour a can of BG244K (about £25) additive into the tank every 6000 miles to clean all the gunk out of the fuel system. The guy who services our MH recently complimented me on how well it's running after 10 years.

Our car doesn't like supermarket unleaded, but that's because it's got a diesel engine. It needed a new EGR valve fitting not too long after my better half made that simple error.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back