boxer speedo (1 Viewer)

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
Hi we were traveling from torquay to north devon today when the speedo stoped working its a 2ltr 2005 posting this on my smart phone so hope it works

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hi we were traveling from torquay to north devon today when the speedo stoped working its a 2ltr 2005 posting this on my smart phone so hope it works

Flickering before?

Water in the gearbox! Look under your bonnet for a large rubber tube that drains the scuttle panel. Design fault meant this emptied on top of the gearbox, allowing water ingress.

Symptoms include flickering speedo needle, and difficulty engaging 1st/reverse when cold.

Cure will involve replacing the speedo drive in the gearbox, refreshing the oil and pushing the rubber drain pipe from the scuttle backwards, away from the gearbox.

If under warranty - see dealer - box MAY need a rebuild.

OP
OP
B

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
I never rains just had a cam belt and break cylinders I can't say that I have seen the speedo flickering trouble is I have no faith in my local dealer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I never rains just had a cam belt and break cylinders I can't say that I have seen the speedo flickering trouble is I have no faith in my local dealer

If you pop the bonnet, and pull you cable (held in with 13/14mm bolt iirc) pull it out and see if the plastic worm drive is chewed up. They only cost pence. Renew gearbox oil if it is, as you will have crud in there - leave a little in a glass jar to settle and see if it splits. If alot of water is in there you will be able to tell straight away.

OP
OP
B

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
I have found out where to locate the sensor from an old post on another site. what I can't see on my gearbox is how to drain the oil and where to refill it. 2005 2ltr hdi The drain from the scuttle is facing back I would say it will empty over the linkage can I get an extension?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I have found out where to locate the sensor from an old post on another site. what I can't see on my gearbox is how to drain the oil and where to refill it. 2005 2ltr hdi The drain from the scuttle is facing back I would say it will empty over the linkage can I get an extension?

If you have probs, p[ost a pic. Otherwise the drain plug is on the bottom of the box, and fill hole to the nearside of the speedo sensor. One later models, they fill through the speedo sensor - depends which you have . I t should be 2 litres of Gear oil IIRC sythetic.

The extension you can make yourself - most owners tend to pop to a diy store and find a piece of plastic tube, a cable tie or jubilee clip and attach the extension to behind the box. Keep it in place with a large cable tie attached somewhere it won't do and damage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back