Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Morning all l,

There's many threads on here in relation to how rubbish the cab radio signal is. Our Eldiss is no exception, al title while ago I put a new fairly exspensive aerial in the front qty panel but to be fair whilst it made the signal better its not perfect and I suspect because of the overhead bunk.

I've looked at a couple of things

1. Window aerial
2. Using the status aerial although on mine I think I have to pull out metal bits to make it effective
3. Or move the decent aerial I bought I roof mount it when I install my solar lane. If I do this can anyone confirm the best place to pick power from for driving and static use

OP
OP
Dubiousp

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Do you have the standard staus aerial ie the disk or the one with pull out aerials,

do you drive with it powered

how is it powered through van or off ignition:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
It is the one with aerials, although I have never used them . Both the aerial and the head unit are powered from the leisure batteries, we listen to something all day long. The Status aerial is powered, the only problem I had was obtaining an adaptor from the coaxial lead to the JVC input, good old Google sorted that out.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
* Hi

Just a couple of thoughts on this one.

If the overcab area has any metal at all then yes it will affect the signal to the radio and mounting the aerial above it should help greatly.

But:-

Any shading onto the solar panel will cut its output. I have done some tests with my portable solar panel which will give 2.5 amps in the clear but this can be halved by holding not much more than a finger in the way.

Mike

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have just this morning connected my cab radio to my flying saucer status Ariel by means of 2x 4 meter Ariel extension leads, I cut the socket of one and fitted a normal TV plug , the radio could only pick up 2 stations with the windscreen mounted cheepo Ariel in my storage parking place
The radio plugged in to the status pulled in 7 stations all strong signals, I then turned the amp for the status on and pulled an extra station.
I have yet to drive the van but its looking good that I won't have to drill the wing to fit an Ariel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back