Boxer Cat Converter Security

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gooney, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Gooney

Gooney Funster

After reading about the amount of Catylitic Converters being stolen for the purpose of 'weighing them in' for the precious metals within them had me thinking, is there an underbody detector that could be fitted to alarm if anybody crawled under the vehicle, I ask this question of any reader but specifically of Davenewell or Eddievanbitz who may, if one is not available develop one themselves (I have a Boxer and since reading of these incidents keep imagining I hear noises in the middle of the night)

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Clamps are available. It is a device that use high security cable and frame around the cat and chassis of the vehicle. Effectively tying it to the vehicle. The makers claim that portable grinder will take some effort to break the cables. I looked into supplying these a while ago.

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I think the claim was a "portable hand saw":Wink:
    a disc cutter will go trough any cable in seconds even hardend steel shackles at over £200 + a pop they are expensive,
    I have also heard recomendations to fit snap off bolts to protect your cat, also next to useless
    We have a tool in the Garage for cutting off exhausts it uses little wheels like a glass cutter mount around a chain, it is silent and would take less than 2 mins to cut your cat off either side of any security device, so they would steal that too:Doh:
    Double pain:cry:
    never be tempted to try and build a box of any sort, even a metal one around your cat it needs the heat to escape
    Geo

4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I bought one of these for my drive way, and it works superbly. The sensor fixes to a gate post and the alarm unit is battery portable and can be located anywhere in the house.

And has a high or low and off button.. for the chime..

Dont see why it could not be fitted on the chassis or some other place with a bit of inginuity. and the alarm unit in the M/H or if parked up at home taken indoors..
    .......................................................................................................................

E - Bay

Wireless Security Driveway Yard Alert Chime or Alarm
    .Item number: 270548944150

5. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Thanks for that ...Mo, this is what I'm looking for, someting that is weatherproof but where the receiver will act as a relay and trigger some great big f... off alarm.

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The sort of prices ive seen quoted on other forums suggest that Fiat are fleecing you for about £900:Eeek::Eeek:
    Any reputable supplier should be able supply a cat for as little:Doh: as £200-£300 inc vat for Diy fitting
    Geo

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

We have to buy genuine parts for replacement on the new vans for obvious reasons, had 30 stolen in the last month.

Scroats wont get them now, we have taken them off!

Peter

8. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Thats so mean Peter how do you expect them to pay for that big fat wedding now?:Rofl1: