Bought one of these, solar controller (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
bought one f these off eBay
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201367945263&globalID=EBAY-GB
Don't know anything about them apart from the description, but fixed it in today and connected it to both battery's and it certainly charges them up , just hope it doesn't run them down as quick tonight;)
At the moment would recommend it but will let you know later if it keeps it up.
German so should be better than the Chinese ones, we,ll see.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
On the surface, it looks as if it does a similar job to Eddy VanBits Battery master, except it does not appear to prioritise the van battery. When touring the UK where sunlight is not so strong and I am not using a hook-up, it would be good to know that I can always start up the van after a few days parked.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
€11.98 on ebay.de ;)

and they're excellent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looking at the technical description, which describes "switch on" and "switch off" voltages I think it is what I would call a shunt controller.
It will do the job, it was what my van had fitted originally, but it won't get the maximum power you could get from your solar panel. For that you need an MPPT type controller which sadly tend to cost around £80+. :(

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes I have found them cheaper since ordering it, but still cheaper than the Chinese controller, I just had the single controller on the jab battery before but always had loads more charge than I needed so the idea of this was to include the van battery to take up the spare and keep it all charged up, and don't know if this is right or not , but started the van a couple of times and put the inverter on in the van and it said they were both fully charged in about half an hour and the voltage dial in the van said over thirteen volts on both.
Please don't think I am pushing these, just letting you know what I have done, and hope it works ok.(y)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just been and had a look, the controller says they are still fully charged and the dials are both showing just under 13 volts, and that's without sun, by the way, someone asked, I have 2 100 s solar panels, with a fifteen amp fuse, and five amp fuses in both battery lines.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looking at the technical description, which describes "switch on" and "switch off" voltages I think it is what I would call a shunt controller.
It will do the job, it was what my van had fitted originally, but it won't get the maximum power you could get from your solar panel. For that you need an MPPT type controller which sadly tend to cost around £80+. :(
Well first day experience, where the original one kept going on and off all the time even though the battery's showed full this one just stays off showing battery's full and just very occasionaly kicking in, but obviously the battery's are full as nothing is useing anything but I put the tv on for half an hour and it started up switched tv off and it went off within ten minutes , seems to work perfect but we will have to see on a prolonged break.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I fitted at victron controller after a friend had fitted on to his MH they work very well in low light conditions cost 75 pounds but worth it

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I bought the package from Maplins 2 or 3 years ago and it included a similar controller. Never had any problems with it and only time I've managed to flatten the leisure battery was New Years eve when I left the exterior light on all night and half the morning after staggering back into the van.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I bought the package from Maplins 2 or 3 years ago and it included a similar controller. Never had any problems with it and only time I've managed to flatten the leisure battery was New Years eve when I left the exterior light on all night and half the morning after staggering back into the van.
Yes at the moment it seems to be working fine, battery's are charged just as they were with the old one, why I got it in the first place , I was looking for a b to b thing to use the surplus charging to keep the van battery topped up, now I know b to bs do more than this by chargeing the hab battery off the alternater but that wasn't my problem, when I saw this thing that does roughly the same but half the money.
We shall see at a later date(y):)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Update on this controller, brilliant(y) unlike the one I had before it only comes on when the batterys need it, whereas the one before was always showing 13.8 or more which couldn't have been doing the batterys any good and then dropping as soon as you used anything where this one shows 12.5 nearly all the time whether useing the battery power or not, well happy with it ,hookups are a thing of the past. And hopefully it's keeping the van battery charged as well, which apparently is doing at the moment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back