Bought my bike and sorted insurance out ! How happy am I .. (1 Viewer)

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
I have been following all the threads about ebikes etc and having looked long and hard, and ridden them I have bought the Kalkhoff Sachel Compact 2016. Now I know this is not the bike lots of you recommend, but it will fit in our garage, I can actually touch my toes on the floor when seated on it ( not usual for someone 5 foot 1 inch I can tell you) . They now have quick release on the saddle and handlebars and the battery is 17ah as well as a now standard Kalkhoff battery ( not a different shape as last year)
I will get it mid January.
Then I worried about insurance, read all the threads again, and decided to ring our Home Building and Contents Insurers Sainsbury.
For just 26 pounds extra per year my bike ( £ 2000) is insured at home, in the UK and for 60 days abroad, what a fantastic result.

Anyway, I know its not the one you would recommend Judge but it suited all the criteria I had :))
regards

Linda

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Similar kind of bike to 20 inch AVE MH7 we had...feel sure you will love it. the mechanical advantage of a 20 inch wheel, coupled to a quality center drive the bike it will climb anything! :)

Oh! its Sahel:D

will need to arrange that e bike meet for 2016

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Thats agreed, an bike meet at the bottom of Leigham Court Road if needs be ;))
Hope you are keeping well.
regards
Linda

Yep spelling not my strong point I keep typing satchel.......

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Saw the light and brought German crank drives good on yer.
Sounds like your saddle is too low for comfortable riding, touch the ground, what's all that about?:xrofl::xrofl:
We change our house insurance to Saga as it was only £25 extra to cover both out e-bikes our last insurer Nationwide wanted over £200.

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Saw the light and brought German crank drives good on yer.
Sounds like your saddle is too low for comfortable riding, touch the ground, what's all that about?:xrofl::xrofl:
We change our house insurance to Saga as it was only £25 extra to cover both out e-bikes our last insurer Nationwide wanted over £200.

Well as the seat and handlebars are as low as they can go I can always make them higher!!!
L

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thats agreed, an bike meet at the bottom of Leigham Court Road if needs be ;))
Hope you are keeping well.
regards
Linda

Yep spelling not my strong point I keep typing satchel.......

Ha ha ha....better/more challenging hills where we are now, of Beulah hill:)

edit: Lennys right saddle height very important....get yor confidence up first then adjust accordingly or you can do yourself an injury

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/vide...ce/saddle-height-why-you-need-to-get-it-right

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
I can't my head round these silly prices. You can buy a brand new 125cc motorbike that will carry two at 60 mph. Have you seen how complicated a motorbike is ?

For the price of 3 bikes you could buy a new car to carry 5 people.

Yes as someone that holds a full motorcycle licence I see where you are coming from, but have done the small motorbikes for years much prefer a bicycle to use the quiet off road bike paths and disused railways. I want to cycle not get anywhere at 60 mph , again personal preference, I can ride a 500cc bike, don't want to anymore.

And bicycles fit in the garage......
regards

LC

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm not saying you should get a motorbike, in fact push bikes are better in, say Benidorm, but what gets me is they are charging far too much for what the parts are worth.

my wife's next road bike is going to cost at least £1600 or more and that hardly expensive.....With a centre drive E bike main cost is the drive. there are cheaper centre drives but they are crude. Then the overall price (just like anything else) depends on the spec of whats fitted to the bike...

an average car costs £3000 a year just to run. and cycling and riding motorbikes cant really be compared can they....its not all about the money:)

Plus as Linda says cycling makes you happy. being stuck in traffic certainly dont!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I can't my head round these silly prices. You can buy a brand new 125cc motorbike that will carry two at 60 mph. Have you seen how complicated a motorbike is ?

For the price of 3 bikes you could buy a new car to carry 5 people.

You can buy a superb push bike for less than £450 and keep fit at the same time...BUSBY:xsmile::xsmile::xsmile:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
As soon as we bought two Ebikes (Kalkhoffs) I gave my son my Marin Mountain Bike and now wish I hadn't :(
My wife and I have used the Ebikes a lot and have loved exploring on them and they certainly let us explore further afield.
We now have two Dahon foldable bikes which we now tend to use more than the Kalkhoffs and like the feeling of a better workout even though we don't go as far on them.
I have to agree with Hilldweller, I bought a Peugeot Kisbee 100cc Scooter cost £1375 my Kalkhoff Pro Connect was £1975!

Late

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We are 180kg lighter now that the scooter and rack are off the MH and the two eBikes fit in the garage and we use them all the time here at home. I agree they are expensive, but hold their value better than our scooter. There is also the cost of petrol and insurance which we now save. It's a win win. I hope @Lindacarole enjoys hers as much as we do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back