freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How much you paying for your bottled gas , i have just been to the garage to get a 6kg propane and its £18.99 and a 7kg butane is £19.99, seams to have gone up from the last one i bought

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Paid £16.99 for 6KG at CC Bladon Chains site where we went after the Peterborough show (wasn't paying the £20 plus that the show supplier charged) but then paid £18.99 at local caravan shop last Wednesday. That is the price on the Calor site Link Removed. I'm sure it was less than that a couple of months ago so it looks like Calor have just increased the price.

Graham

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
To avoid these extortionate prices for gas, I'd thought of having a gas tank installed.

Then I saw the cost! :Sad:

The bottles are cheaper - I'd have to buy a LOT of bottles to equal the even more extortionate price of the tank.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
You get something like this, Link Removed , this is an expensive one but has all the extra fittings for continental use, Bayonet only ones are usually about £30.00 mark.*

I,ve used one for ages now and I,m well in pocket.:thumb::thumb:

No 'incidents' either much to the disbelief of some.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Derek
I have thought of this in the past but never took it any further. 1 question for you how do you know when your bottle is 80% full because if it isnt completely empty then you wont know how much to put in or do you get a gauge or level indicator.

Gerry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hi Derek
I have thought of this in the past but never took it any further. 1 question for you how do you know when your bottle is 80% full because if it isnt completely empty then you wont know how much to put in or do you get a gauge or level indicator.

Gerry

You could just weigh it, the bottle tare will be stamped on it somewhere.

The bottle is 'full' @ 80%, that's what you get from Calor, if you're lucky.

So, 6kg= 12 litres 13kg= 26 litres, if you have a 13 kg bottle with 5.5 kg stil in it then you can add 13-5.5= 7.5kg= 15litres. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Derek

I was meaning when you go to filling station and want to refill them do you weigh them or how will you know whats in them so then you wouldnt know when full. I understand the weight thing but thats ok at home if the bottle runs out but if away for 4 weeks and want to top it up before it runs out is what i was meaning.

Gerry

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I've got 2 x 13kg,s and an autochangeover( I use my van a lot, winter anall ) so it's not a problem. If you've only got 1 then I suppose you'll need to take it out and weigh it before any trips.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Been using a filler widget for more than a year now.. strewth it has saved me some dosh !

I always run a three bottle system
Two on the van and one at home
If I run one out I simply switch to the new full one..
Take empty bottle well away from van and open the tap..
Take empty to LPG outlet and refill

The third bottle is just in case I get caught out with an almost empty one in the van when I am going away for a week or so.
I can switch back to the almost empty one when I get home.. Use what is left and refill.. Then put what was the spare back on the van

Sounds complicated but it means I can always have plenty of what I need at any time, without issue or problem

6kg bottle costs me £6.80 at the moment

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Hi Derek

I was meaning when you go to filling station and want to refill them do you weigh them or how will you know whats in them so then you wouldnt know when full. I understand the weight thing but thats ok at home if the bottle runs out but if away for 4 weeks and want to top it up before it runs out is what i was meaning.

Gerry

You don't fill it unless it's empty, you could end up in a mess otherwise:Blush:.

I have the adapter but not used it yet as we emptied the cylinder on last trip and not been out to fill it. When I do I intend to put just 10 litres in my 6kg cylinder. I know it is said 80%=12 litres but I prefer to be over cautious:Doh:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
80% is already overcautious ..it is designed to cover the worlds most extreme conditions eg , if you leave your full bottle in the sun at an ambient of 50C 80% is still ok

just apply boyle's law of gases and you will see the pressure you get

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
On a side note, as I say I have not used the adapter yet but how fast does the LPG pump go? ie is it 'don't blink or you'll over fill' or is it a more steady speed?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Greg you just press a button and hold it in until you get your 12 ltrs, or 11.5 as it goes a very little bit after you let go :thumb: As already been said 12 ltrs is on the caucios side as even on Calors web site they can be filled anywhere between 80 % and 87 % :Smile: You have the right idea that you do not need to fill it full (80%)
terry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Greg thanks for that i assumed it was like the gaslow ones that can be topped up so to use this system i would have to carry both my 6k bottles when on a long trip.

Gerry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ebay 30quid . the pumps are suposed to cut out at 90percent /
i had a delivery of calor last week into a 1200ltr tank. it wasnt empty ,they still put 1117ltr in to it .so up your on the 80percent fill.
on the tank in my garden is no 80percent cut out .only a bleed screw you open it on filling gas comes out ,when liquid comes out its nearly full so stop filling. thats it.
in the camper put 26 litres in an empty 13 kg bottle .the pumps are not very fast and slow down as you get full.
its like filling with petrol you dont keep squeezing with your eyes shut.
i have a take off for the tank in the garden specialy for filling my own bottles .all supplied legally.
calor can supply you with a pump as well . i use a hand pump .
cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as a matter of fact there are alot of gaslow and similer bottles for sale on ebay from dealers from 115quid .
ebay gas bottles you will find them. cheers alan

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings from another Derek,

I 'discovered' after being on the Continent that my newly aquired 10kgs lightweight French Butane bottle has an adaptor (20mm) with an outlet that has a 20M thread. Its the same as the thread that connects the pigtail to the reg. on a post 2005 'van.

I intend to (when my supply of Butane is all run out) to connect a propane pigtail from a 19kgs propane bottle to the adaptor and turn the propane bottle upside down and allow the propane liquid to run into the french bottle.
The idea works because I have already done it with a large butane bottle I already possess. (I used a pigtail with a M20 connector at both ends for that).
There's a place I can get a 19kgs propane for £22 so that will mean each fill up is just over £1 a kilo. :thumb:
Isn't that cheaper than a garage without buying one of those EBay adaptors.?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes it is possible to tip from one to another .sometimes its the only way to get a bottle of gas in some countries. but you could just fit a bulk head fillr point to the bottle via a suitable hose .if its empty ,you know its litrage fill it at the pumps .even burning propane through a butane regulater you cant tell the differance. i fill camping gas bottles by tipping sometimes .
some conversions on vw,s only have roomfor camping gas .used to carry a calor on the roof handy for filling smaller bottles.cheers alan.

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
I had 2 x 11Kg Gaslow bottles fitted on my new van. Okay the initial cost may outweigh the cost of calor if you do not use it very often but at 45p a Litre that makes 40Litres for only £18.00. Will soon recoup the initial cost for fitting the Gaslow.

There are other advantages, Calor is not available in most of Europe so that means additional foreign bottles and the associated fittings if you are going to use a lot of gas or spend an extended period of time away.

If you use Calor in UK then when empty there is the trouble and effort of removing the gas bottles(s), taking the empty ones to get them replaced and then returning and fitting tem back in. No such problems with Gaslow, just drive to an LPG (Autogas) supplier and fill up.

If you were planning on going on a long trip and had half a bottle of gas you would not trade it in for a full one you would wait until it was empty. With Gaslow you can just go and top your half bottle up.

I know that it varies to your touring lifestyle and each to their own. I toured Spain in my former van last year for a month with 2 x 6Kg of Calor and didn't use even half a bottle !.

But 2 x 6Kg of calor, allowing that they will only be 80% full for safety reasons is 20 Litres of gas £36-£40. My 2 x 11Kg bottles are 40 litres (80%) and will last twice as long and is half the price.

I am fortunate that I have just opened an acount with Countrywide Farmers who are supplers of LPG. They have a depot in the town where I live which is open 24/7, they give me the pin code to get in to their premises and a programmed key with my details in it so that I can fill with gas from their pumps when I need it. They bill me monthly. They also have depots all over the country and when you open an account they give you a handy book with all the locations and entry gate codes. In addition to these there are the normal fuel stations that stock Auto gas so should have no reason to run out.

Not saying that this will suit everyone and the only reason i decided to convert was simply because I was buying a new van and the cost of fitting the Gaslow was negligible considering what I was paying for the van in the first place :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back