Bottled Gas (propane) in Scandinavia - adapters etc (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
A quick forum search didn't come up with any answers, so ......

We have 2 x 11kg exchange cylinders with the usual UK left-hand thread propane pigtail.

We are off to Scandinavia in a couple of weeks & will be away for six weeks. In addition to the heating, the gas does the cooking, the fridge & the hot water, so even if we don't get any chilly evenings (the OH likes to be toasty), it'll be touch & go even with two full cylinders.

Does anyone know what size bottles are available in Sweden? What adapters would be needed to connect? Is there a recoverable deposit on a new bottle? I already have an adapter for French bottles.

It would be useful to have the same info for Denmark & Holland, if anyone knows.

One option is to set off with just one UK bottle, get a local one asap, use & exchange as required, then return it before leaving Sweden. We could do the out & back to & from Sweden on one UK bottle, as that will be less than 2 weeks & the fridge will be on 12V for quite a bit of that time, while we drive.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
One of these wouldn't go amiss in your gas locker.
It converts a propane pigtail to a LHT Butane (as found on Dumpy UK Calor bottles.)

That same thread is used in France for their Larger Propane and Butane bottles and I think in the Netherlands as well. Oh, and it also fits the side of the Jumbo adaptors/Regulators in Spain and Portugal.

Others will be along regarding the Scandinavian countries.

http://gasproducts.co.uk/propane-pol-to-butane-adaptor.html?gclid=COb6tbSw_80CFe8W0wodLKQDkw

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Thanks. I think that that's the one I already have (for use with French bottles).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I've been searching the internet in the hopes of finding answers, but so far come up with very little.

GasLow do an adapter to convert the hose that connects to their bottles to one that would connect to a Swedish bottle. From the photo, it looks remarkably like the UK Propane connector, but I don't suppose it is the same. I have a suspicion that my existing French bottle adaptor may turn my hose into the equivalent of one of theirs, onto which I could add their Swedish adaptor.

I have also discovered that the Swedish & Belgium bottles use the same connector, so if anyone has experience of Belgium bottles. that would help.

SWEDESTOPS

Free Member
Apr 8, 2016
Sweden
Funster No
MH
Half integrated
Exp
Since 2006
For LPG (Propane) you should consult MyLpgEU where you can find sites which fill your bottle even if . I am shure that they have all adapters needed.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We have up to now -always used refillables in Scandinavia - however as we have seen quite a few stations stop selling LPG in Sweden - and Finland not having any outlets- we have decided not to bother with this on our current van.
We bought a calor gas adaptor from Bullfinch when we recently went to France - this converts some of their bottles - and we are informed that some of the german bottles used in Sweden should be OK aswell - so maybe thats an option for you? We didn't need to use it - but checked it did fit their bottles -

Also - there are places in Sweden - that will fill pretty much any bottle - so that cold be an option?
Or just take a spare bottle? 3 x 11kg should be fine for 6 weeks

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We are in Norway , we haven't struggled to find lpg on our route.

Also, some of the filling stops will refill any bottle. We got a camping gaz replacement at Voss today for a good price. They only have propane (due to the cold), not butane.

Matt88

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
FIAT scudo
Exp
Hi Jenben,
I've just come across this site by way of your last post - I'm currently in Norway and have just run out of Campingaz (I know, I know, I should have done more research before leaving the continent...)
You mention that you found a place in Voss that sold you some, but can you tell me if that was the larger threaded bottles, ie a 907? I've found a few places selling the smaller portable type for stoves.
I'd be grateful for any information you had on sourcing it!
Thanks, matt

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hello @Matt tyson, yes the 907 was the one we had replaced although I think he had the whole range of them. If he hasn't got one in stock he said he would refill it , to be honest it was quite good value which was odd for Norway !

You will probably end up with the camping gas bottle we left there a few weeks ago :)

The Voss gas place seemed to be part of a franchise business so you may find other suitable spots to refill.

Matt88

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
FIAT scudo
Exp
Amazing! Do you know the name of the shop/place or where abouts it was? I'm relatively close to there now.

We were beginning to lose hope and buy a bbq and a few bags of coals!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just in case @Jenben has gone offline for a bit, I have done a quick search for you and there is only one place called Voss Gas at
Strandavegen 169, 5710 Skulestadmo, Norway
Tel

+47 916 93 410
Says open till 19:00

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_1489.PNG

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, think @Riverbankannie has linked to the right one, it's by the side of the main road into Voss. They are really helpful there.

Well worth joining our happy forum @Matt88 .

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
There is also a nice camperstop on the waterfront on the outskirts of Voss beside a bakery, campercontact no 42955. The gas shop is just down the road from here and his contact details and directions are also advertised by the side of the camper stop.

Matt88

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
FIAT scudo
Exp
Thanks @Jenben, I managed to get here in the nick of time - they were about ready to close. The two chaps there spoke little English, but one of them went out and filled my bottle there & then.

Can I ask how you found the propane to run on the stove? Did it last a similar time to the Campingaz Butane? And did you use the same regulator? Sorry for the questions, but I know very little about gas...
I wanted to pick up a 904 as a spare but they didn't have any.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Im afraid we only use it on a Cadac Safari chef.

Short story is it works fine, though in theory you lose a bit of power compared to Butane. No idea if it lasts longer as they go on for ages when your just using it for the bbq.

Long story - For the Cadac the manual for the UK model advises using a 37mb regulator for Propane rather than the 29mb Campinggaz butane one. Since you can't easily get a 37mb campinggaz regulator this is a bit of a problem. However it uses the same jet and burner as the French version which advises 29mb for both Propane and Butane so I suspect theres no problem technically and we haven't had a problem.

I guess if you're using it in the van then for most recent installations have a fixed 30mb regulator and all your appliances should be rated to burn either propane or butane at this pressure. Our SMEV van stove warned that you might see a slightly different colour flame but thats about it (blue with Propane, blue with flickering yellow tips on butane).

If you're looking to get a spare then I would think any of the local bottles would be just as good and much cheaper. However if you're heading north there was a similar gas place near Kristiansund which we saw- theres details of this and others from the same chain(40!!) willing to refill your cylinders here

Broken Link Removed

Matt88

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
FIAT scudo
Exp
Thanks for taking the time to reply in such depth - I've got a pretty basic setup, and have a hose going straight from the gas bottle (in a locker) to a Smev cooker on top.
I'll give it a go this evening but sounds like there shouldn't be any problem, perhaps just a loss of power.
As for spares, we can't afford any space for the larger local bottles so will look up another filling place if and when this one runs out.
Thanks again,
Matt

Candi33

Free Member
Oct 30, 2017
Funster No
I know this is much too late for many, but anyone heading to Scandinavia in the future, this will probably be helpful... we are in Sweden at the moment, were running low on gas and had a panic after reading the posts in this thread that we might not beable to get bottles to fit without an adapter.. we are relieved and glad to say (after a night in -2 with no gas when the 'low' ended up as 'no'!! = no heating and no hot food/drink) that the attachment on the UK bottles is exactly the same as in Sweden.. but perhaps more exciting is that they can just refill your UK bottles, no need to replace or 'hire' new bottles whilst you're here.. we refilled 2 x 6kg propane calor bottles for 27kr at gasolmalmol.com and was told today that there are many more places that offer this service, we found him on myLPG.eu

Hope that helps all who are thinking about travelling this way.. incidentally... this is such a beautiful place even at this time of year.. we did Norway in June 2015 and had promised we'd come back to Sweden... 3 weeks here and we have no regrets :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back