Bottled Gas (propane) in Scandinavia - adapters etc

Discussion in 'Denmark Norway Sweden Finland' started by TheCaller, Jul 19, 2016.

1. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

A quick forum search didn't come up with any answers, so ......

We have 2 x 11kg exchange cylinders with the usual UK left-hand thread propane pigtail.

We are off to Scandinavia in a couple of weeks & will be away for six weeks. In addition to the heating, the gas does the cooking, the fridge & the hot water, so even if we don't get any chilly evenings (the OH likes to be toasty), it'll be touch & go even with two full cylinders.

Does anyone know what size bottles are available in Sweden? What adapters would be needed to connect? Is there a recoverable deposit on a new bottle? I already have an adapter for French bottles.

It would be useful to have the same info for Denmark & Holland, if anyone knows.

One option is to set off with just one UK bottle, get a local one asap, use & exchange as required, then return it before leaving Sweden. We could do the out & back to & from Sweden on one UK bottle, as that will be less than 2 weeks & the fridge will be on 12V for quite a bit of that time, while we drive.

2. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

One of these wouldn't go amiss in your gas locker.
    It converts a propane pigtail to a LHT Butane (as found on Dumpy UK Calor bottles.)

That same thread is used in France for their Larger Propane and Butane bottles and I think in the Netherlands as well. Oh, and it also fits the side of the Jumbo adaptors/Regulators in Spain and Portugal.

Others will be along regarding the Scandinavian countries.

http://gasproducts.co.uk/propane-pol-to-butane-adaptor.html?gclid=COb6tbSw_80CFe8W0wodLKQDkw

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Thanks. I think that that's the one I already have (for use with French bottles).

4. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

I've been searching the internet in the hopes of finding answers, but so far come up with very little.

GasLow do an adapter to convert the hose that connects to their bottles to one that would connect to a Swedish bottle. From the photo, it looks remarkably like the UK Propane connector, but I don't suppose it is the same. I have a suspicion that my existing French bottle adaptor may turn my hose into the equivalent of one of theirs, onto which I could add their Swedish adaptor.

I have also discovered that the Swedish & Belgium bottles use the same connector, so if anyone has experience of Belgium bottles. that would help.