Bottle Jack

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Bart, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Bart

Bart Funster

Ok thinking ahead , our Bessacarr E560 which we are buying has a spare wheel below it ,, have not seen what jack it has , but i read some people have bought bottle jacks rather than the "one that comes with it"
    So if i was to buy one would a 5 Tonne bottle jack be up to the job of lifting the motorhome off the ground.
    something like this one :
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-5-tonne-bottle-jack/40473#_=p

2. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

I use a 5t bottle Jack with an axle stand. The Jack will lift the van but struggles as it extends. So I jack then secure on the stand, put a block under the Jack and Jack again.

Used this method on the drive as a trial, works well van is 5.3t.

3. Neckender

Neckender Funster

That would be fine I have similar but 6 ton capacity.

John.

4. Bart

Bart Funster

5. autorouter

autorouter Funster

Thinking even further ahead, will it fit under the jacking point when the tyre is deflated?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bart

Bart Funster

Good point and i would have to wait till i get the motorhome in 2 weeks time to check that , before buying the correct jack , as the last thing i would want to have to do is get the "Mrs" to lift up the motorhome so i could fit the jack in below it .. :) :) :)

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Shouldn't make a lot of difference.
    Run the flat tyre up onto two or three 2" thick wooden blocks.

8. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Have a wee browse on fleabay at Sealey air jacks, I've used one for many years & the ones intended for Land Rover off road usage are superb. You don't have to spend ages making sure that the jack is in the right place. When I say about the right place, its not so difficult to do, but getting the right position on the road & the vehicle at the same time can be challenging. Remember too that tarmac isn't the best surface to jack from. A block of wood below the bottle jack spreads the load. An axle stand is still required though, safety safety safety at all times. Ironically though I can't use an exhaust driven air jack with my Sprinter due to the exhaust exiting well under the vehicle. I've always carried a bottle jack in any of my cars. The manufacturer's jack's are notoriously poor & some are downright dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

When I had the blow out recently the AA chap couldn’t get his trolley jack under the chassis and the closed height of a trolley jack is a lot lower than that of a bottle jack. I used the Millenco ramps to raise it but that was a compromise because steel rims don't have a lot of grip on plastic. If you intend doing the wheel change yourself don't assume that you will be able to lay your hands on a wooden block when you break down, either get the right jack in the first place or carry the necessary bits to do the job.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SandraL

SandraL Funster

I came to conclusion that a bottle jack would not be low enough to go under jack point with flat tyre. Also that running flat wheel onto blocks might not be so easy to achieve. My fiat scissor jack works well, especially if a longer bar is used to operate it. I use my torque wrench. Fiat jack has 2400kg label on it , I assume that refers to axle load rather than wheel load.

11. Bart

Bart Funster

exactly his,, this is why im doing the prep work 1st .. but atm can only ask questions here until i get the motorhome in 2 weeks :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Badknee

Badknee Funster

A scissor jack to start then a bottle jack with axle stand and various blocks of hardwood or as I have, a phone number for the breakdown service. (y):LOL:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Prefer trolly jack myself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I use one at home but it's very heavy to carry around "just in case" really.

15. Bart

Bart Funster

This also puts me of the trolly jack,, as the 1 that i have for my garage is small ,, yet weights a ton :)

16. ****

**** Read Only Funster

What is an average trolly jack, 50kg? Only problem i see is storage if in a smaller van. I got my kill when people would say they dont want them in the car due to weight but you dont mind an extra passenger at what, 80kg?

Anyway, as i say. I prefer.

17. wigster

wigster Funster

Trolley jack every time , am about to go full time in my mh mostly through choice but partly through necessity.
    I understand payload problems and feel for folks that have to worry about every kilo.
    As @Badknee says though number of breakdown service works (y)

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Also carry a trolley jack .. and as the standard Ducato wheel wrench may not be man enough to loosen the nuts.. (and I'm getting weaker) I also have a breaker bar and socket..

It's always preferable to let the breakdown guy change a wheel.. particularly on a Motorway where I think it is now illegal to do it yourself.. if not, it is certainly too dangerous.. get out, deploy the Warning Triangle.. phone for help.. and get everyone over the barrier ASAP ..

If I didn't have the space and payload I wouldn't bother . but the Hymer double floor motorhomes have excellent side storage boxes, one of which makes a great tool locker.. and old habits die hard.. I carry enough tools to equip a small workshop.. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK Funster

Many years ago, had a blow out on the A1 (amazingly by entrance to lay-by) in our 6 ton American RV.

It had a bottle jack in the locker but I was not confident it would do the job, so called our breakdown service.

They sent a mobile tyre fitter who proceeded to jack up our motorhome with a bottle jack not dissimilar to the one in the locker.

So if good enough for a tyre fitter, although the suggestion of an axle stand seems a very good idea.

20. Bart

Bart Funster

LOL was just watching one of the "gone with the Wynns" videos , the one where they get the puncture ,,, what a laugh watching that it was