Bosnia and Herzegovina advice (1 Viewer)

simonjcox

Free Member
Jul 22, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7.1g
Exp
July 2015
We are off at the beginning of September to Croatia via the scenic route of a lot of Europe. I would love to visit Sarajevo and have plotted what looks like a nice route from Zagreb to Dubrovnik Through Bosnia. This will then allow me to come back north up the Adriatic highway :)

Has anybody ever taken there Motorhome there? has anybody any travel advice? Do I need IDP as I will be driving my own vehicle? I have looked a trip adviser and it seems well approved as long as you don't go of the beaten path as you might find land mines from the war :-0.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Simon

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You should have your insurance green card.. We have never been asked for it but you should have it just in case

An odd one.. While the border staff of Croatia are always friendly and actually like it if you take a picture of them, when you approach the H & B border, remove hats and sunglasses. Do not smile, and for goodness sake keep the camera out of site.. they REALLY do not like them !

Deleted User
We went to Croatia a couple of years ago and I asked my insurance company (comfort insurance) if I was covered to drive to Dubrovnic which entails a short stint of about 20 mls through Bosnia and they told me I was'nt! and that they would not cover me.

spongy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi

We visited Bosnia a couple of years ago when driving from Albania to UK. We wasn't there very long but quite liked it.

Green Card insurance is available if you are insured through Caravan Club

Campsite at Sarajevo is at end of tram line http://www.campercontact.com/en/bos...za/23035/motorhome-parking-autocamp-oaza.aspx. Campsite is a bit expensive for what it is but is convenient. There is also guarded parking in the centre where we parked for a few hours on our way out. Would not have been a problem to stay here.

Centre of Sarajevo is very pleasant with, unsurprisingly, a Turkish feel to it. We tried to visit the tunnel that was excavated under the airport runway during the war but it was closed as a public holiday.

Also visited Mostar. Supposedly guarded parking in centre said fine for overnight stopover but very hot when we were there and some people wandering around car park that my wife was uncomfortable with. We stayed for a few hours then moved to Camping Wimbledon at Blagaj. Broken Link Removed. You can get a bus from here to Mostar if you wish.

I plan to return to Bosnia one day when we have a bit more time. While on the subject of the Balkans I would also recommend Albania.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What ever you do, make sure that you go. A fascinating country that was far more welcoming than Croatia when we went 8 years ago.

There weren't many campsites but we stayed in the car parks or motels that were along the main roads.

Insurance can (could) be purchased on the boarder; something like €30 for 10 days.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bosnia is not in the EU (yet) so your normal vehicle and probably medical insurance won't cover you. You can buy it at the border but what it is worth if you had to claim is questionable.

An alternative is to get the ferry from Ploce to Trpanj and then drive down the peninsular. I only know this because a Funster did it not too long ago and hopefully they will come along to add some detail. https://goo.gl/maps/xEUH7

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
As I stated above my insurer's (Caravan Club) issued a Green Card for Bosnia (and Albania etc). This is fully comp cover and no additional charges. I also found Bosnia more friendly than Croatia.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was with one of the more obscure insurers ( canna remember which but as there is absolutely no chance of the CC getting any of my lolly, it would not have been anything to do with them ! ) and asked about a green card.. they sent it in the post next day and it cost zero..

A couple of years ago I was with Comfort.. again, asked, again FOC and delivered next day

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Bosnia is not in the EU (yet) so your normal vehicle and probably medical insurance won't cover you. You can buy it at the border but what it is worth if you had to claim is questionable.

An alternative is to get the ferry from Ploce to Trpanj and then drive down the peninsular. I only know this because a Funster did it not too long ago and hopefully they will come along to add some detail. https://goo.gl/maps/xEUH7
It woz us wot did it. Lovely ferry journey with Jadrolina. 4 ferries a day outside peak season and 6 in peak - cost approx £27 for a 7.5 metre van.
Ploce 6.JPG
Ploce Trbanj Ferry 8.JPG

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
simonjcox

simonjcox

Free Member
Jul 22, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7.1g
Exp
July 2015
Thanks guys for all your information and comments. I will try the caravan club for a green card, but think we will probably buy insurance at the border. Can't wait to visit and explore and really looking forward to driving the coast road back north as I done it a couple of times in our boat but never by land.

I week and counting and then we will be off :)

Cheers

:calig:

Simon:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back