Boring Man Tech Talk-Fiat Engine Management Light - Sorted!! (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've been plagued by the engine management light coming on intermittently on my 2006 Fiat 2.8JTD. I had the OBI read at a dealers and no faults showed up.

Usually on a long hill climb or applying too much revs through the gears. It was driving me nuts as sometimes it pulled like a train on an uphill stretch, only to be passing some slow HGV, when the light would come on and reduce power, or cut out the power altogether and never a hint of warning either. Power would only come back when I changed down a gear. Same on hill climbs through the gears. Dangerous and frustrating.

I read a lot of posts on the problem and the answers seemed to refer to the number 4 injector connection being too tight, leading to a misfire on that cylinder and that some people had reverted to a new loom to sort their woes. I checked all the injector connectors, freed up the loom so that it had plenty of slack, serviced the plugs, but that didn't do the trick.

Others would talk of the accelerator pedal sensor, but I ruled that out as it was only under load when it occurred and checked out on test.

The last option I though of was the turbo and turbo boost. While the turbo spins all the time the engine runs, the boost comes into play at set parameters, like hill climbing under load. With a variable vane turbo, it increases the angle that the turbo vanes operate and increases the airflow into the engine. More air and more fuel means better power, so that's where I went next. Serviced the boost valve, added some lube and the problems gone. The engine pulls like a train once more and cruises up hills like it should. Haven't had a hint of the engine management light since and it would always come on when I headed down to Kent for the weekend.

It's a pleasure to drive all over again and I'm one relieved bear :)

Library picture shows the rear of the 2.8JTD engine and turbo :)
image.jpeg

And a close up of the turbo boost and control arm :)
Lubed both the control rod and control arm and now operates freely again. Seems they can stick after a period of no use. Simply running them up doesn't put the boost under load, so I guess in the future if I park up, I still need to do the odd run out and put the engine under load :)
image.png

Might just be useful info for someone now or in the future :)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
The boost valve you refer to in your photo is actually the waste gate valve which prevents over boosting of the engine, it dumps excess pressure from the turbocharger, in simplified terms, it is preset by the manufacturer and should not be adjusted, just kept free.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Well done for solving your problem, must be a totally different drive experience now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Well done for solving your problem, must be a totally different drive experience now
It really has made a big difference, especially to the trust element as I know I can pull out to overtake on hills without worrying that I'd lose power half way up the hill!! :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
even reading the word turbo makes me squirm again, I know exactly what you are feeling now

hope both of ours now continue to perform as needed (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have you tried it with the engine back in:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.