Border Control At The Tunnel: Why Are They So Miserable?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Allanm, May 10, 2015.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Came back from Brittany and arrived at the French side of the Tunnel.
    Cheery greeting from the check in girl, apologising for the self check in not working.
    Through pet passport control, all smiles and chatty. Also noticed new high razor wire topped fences next to the compound. Chatted with lots of happy dog owners.
    Drove through French border control, security checks carried out by a cheery border guard, all smiles.
    Drove towards the shopping area, met by a cheery employee waving us on and telling us we had 15 minutes to visit the shops if we wished.
    Got to the lane check in, another cheery employee asking if the gas was off, bit of a laugh and joke and waved us through to lane 6.
    On the train, guard ushered into a carriage, all smiles, "handbrake on and first gear please"

If that had been our experience of the crossing, we would be very pleased to be using Eurotunnel and felt welcome to be travelling to the UK.

Problem was, the happy atmosphere was tempered by the most miserable, belligerent UK Border Control person we have ever had the misfortune to meet.

Of course, I greeted hime with a cheery "Good Morning" ( remember how everybody else was so happy to see us?)
    Met with a stoney silence and a hand thrust out for passports. "Where have you been?"
    I held back with "France" and said Brittany.
    "How long for?"
    3 weeks
    Passports thrust back and dismissed.

Why do they have to be so miserable? He has a well paid job in a nice environment. This isn't the first time either, they are usually miserable, but not as bad as this one. He was probably the one Scott Mills was talking about last week when he flew in from Vietnam.

They could all do with Customer Service training and a kick up the backside. If this is how they treat UK passport holders, I hate to think how they treat foreigners.....
    If they ever advertise for Mystery Travellers to test out Border Control, I'm applying..........

Allan

• Like Like x 6
  2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Must have just been someone having a bad day. All the ones we've encountered have been fine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

They're just jealous cos you've had a great holiday and got a nice tan ::bigsmile:

• Like Like x 3
  4. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

We've had a mixture over the years and as Alan stated, some won't even reply to a cheery "good morning".

Takes all sorts I suppose, we tend to have a giggle at the miserable ones. Imagine living with some of them, I bet the evenings fly by!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. olley

olley Funster

At least he let you back in. :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Maybe he was a Miliband or QPR supporter.

7. JJ

JJ Funster

It is because he/they wanted to be a real policeman but he/they weren't clever enough...

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 9
  8. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I used to let it pass but never do now. I'd have been straight back with a
    " sorry , there appears to be some words missing like please & thank you ? " :mad:Probably they promoted him from over in Dover.:D

• Like Like x 4
  9. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    You are still carrying this burden,the security man has probably forgotten who has just past through a moment ago,so won't remember you......... Stress ? Some people are rude,others not,why worry,it takes all sorts to make a world,draw a line,breath in,move on.
    Tea Bag.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

No one ever knows what's happing in some ones life he may have recently suffered a bereavement things happening with his family suffering depression not every ones life is good every day we all have our off days
    bill

• Like Like x 6
  11. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Cos the French think..... Goodbye Immigrants.. :france:

And the English think....... Oh no.... more bloody immigrants... :blush: :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  12. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Think we met his cousin the last time we flew into Auckland NZ, us cheery morning and big smiles, him glum no smile and more or less "this is New Zealand and your welcome to it" very nearly had a word with the Supervisor but what the heck we were on holiday and he wasn't. Good customer relations cost nothing but make a very big different to the customer. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

You are correct Bill..... however when working "face to face" one of the things drilled into us was "leave your own problems at the locker room door, pick them up on your way home". If you couldn't do that you didn't last long.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  14. olley

olley Funster

One of the wife's clients used to teach VAT guys customer relations, could be a job for her with passport control.:)

Ian

• Like Like x 3
  15. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

They have to travel over every day from Folkestone and get pi==ed off.
    I worked with a girl who had dual US/UK nationality and used her US passport to go to the USA and when they get there there is a big sign up in arrivals with WELCOME HOME unlike the grilling we get there. This bloke is just adding to the joy of returning home.

16. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Pour soul.
    Has good job, sitting in nice booth... Bored shitless and he only has another 20 years to go.... Isn't it great.
    JOB = "just over broke" for a lot of those type of jobs.... but they aren't fit for anything else !
    He's entitled to be miserable ! ... poor soul :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

OP you've not been to the States then. In forty years and many, many trips including some in uniform I have never ever received any form of smile or acknowledgement at US border control. It's because they is very, very important!(y)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

About as important as a flame beneath a chocolate teapot.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

You know what they say....................Give a man a clip board..........:D
    These buggers have stamps to filthy up your passport too!(n)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Yep... Too right.
    Flew an aeroplane from Germany and was clearing customs in a small regional airport in England and was informed when I landed to report right away to customs. It was 6:45 pm and the officer proceeded to throw the book at me for not having the correct paperwork. Now, I fly all over Europe, I know exactly what I need and he began harping on that his shift finished at 7pm...... Now I was in no hurry, I had the hotel booked.... But it still took me until 9pm to "find my paperwork" while this jumped up little prick was going mental about having to be there.
    My paperwork was in perfect order but boy I enjoyed keeping the arrogant little prick standing around for 2 hours and took great pleasure telling him that wen I was done.
    Lesson:
    Only mess with someone who gives a f¥{k !

• Like Like x 5